Cato

Sasquawk

I have been hearing different things about David Cato's status with the team. Does anyone know if he is hurt or is looking to leave the team? He is a valuable member of the goal line package and special teams. I hope is is still with the hawks.

hasn't he been playing on special teams and a little in dime stuff? Hadn't heard anything about him leaving the team or being hurt...

He definitely didn't play against Indiana but I did see him on the sideline, in his pads. I'd guess he was either dinged up but still dressed or suspeneded. However, that is just speculating. It'll be interesting to see if he's listed on the 2-deeps today.

I, too, wondered why Cato did not play against Indiana. He played in the goal line defense against MSU and played very well in that capacity. On Indiana's (I believe it was) first touchdown, Taylor Herbst, was playing in Cato's spot on the goal line defense. If I remember correctly, Indiana scored their first touchdown on about a three yard run in Herbst's direction. Not sure that the play would have had a different outcome if Cato had been in there, but perhaps he would have stuffed it. So, I guess Cato had to have been hurt or suspended (or perhaps he was our secret emergency running back and they didn't want to get him dinged up. LOL)

If anyone knows the story on Cato, I would be interested to hear it.

Cato has played very well in goal line situations this year. I have no inside info on this situation, but I wonder if he is upset about Conklin getting the playing time when Greenwood went out.

I had not seen Conklin on the field much this year prior to Greenwood getting hurt, but had seen Cato on the field a lot. I assumed that when Greenwood went down that Cato would be the next man in. I wonder if Cato assumed the same thing.

Cato has played very well in goal line situations this year. I have no inside info on this situation, but I wonder if he is upset about Conklin getting the playing time when Greenwood went out.

I had not seen Conklin on the field much this year prior to Greenwood getting hurt, but had seen Cato on the field a lot. I assumed that when Greenwood went down that Cato would be the next man in. I wonder if Cato assumed the same thing.

Cato plays the strong safety though, while Greenwood is the free safety. For whatever reason we don't have a backup that can play both positions, but we have a backup for each position. I would have liked to have seen him get a shot, especially in goalline situations. I guess I didn't notice him one way or the other on the field on Saturday.

The rumor is that he is wanting to leave the team and the coaches are trying to talk him into staying. Not sure if true or not though...

I hope that is a false rumor! Love Cato. I was really hoping they would move Sash to FS an Cato in at SS since Greenwood was out. He does well on goaline & special teams. The problem is he likely will be in that spot most of his career with being stuck behind Sash.

The rumor is that he is wanting to leave the team and the coaches are trying to talk him into staying. Not sure if true or not though...

I can understand why the kid is considering it. If he is going to transfer this has to be the year. He is a true sophomore stuck behind another sophomore in Sash. He is never going to be a starter unless the coaches convince him either he or Sash will play FS when they are seniors. If he transfers now he take a redshirt and then have two years to possibly start at another program. I don't think Cato will be happy playing special teams and goaline packages for his entire career here at Iowa.

I can understand why the kid is considering it. If he is going to transfer this has to be the year. He is a true sophomore stuck behind another sophomore in Sash. He is never going to be a starter unless the coaches convince him either he or Sash will play FS when they are seniors. If he transfers now he take a redshirt and then have two years to possibly start at another program. I don't think Cato will be happy playing special teams and goaline packages for his entire career here at Iowa.

In the limited time I've seen him, he is too talented to be stuck on goalline and special teams packages...maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture and the kid can't play pass coverage to save his life or he constantly blows assignments. But those who have seen him can't really doubt the athleticism and physicality this young guy brings to the table.

Latest posts