Castillo = Kirk's next big mistake

colbol9

Castillo is the next guy whom Kirk is undoubtedly loyal to a fault. Kirk's friendship with Castillo's dad has impacted his decision making.

Reminds me of McCann over Banks...along with other personnel gaffes.

Last edited:
I really didn't think your DB's played that badly. It's just hard to cover for that long because your DL didn't get a lot of pressure and when they did, Steele usually just ran around long enough for someone to break open.

Also, for the first time in several years, we were able to run pretty well on your defensive front 7. Iowa's entire defensive scheme is built on making opponents one dimensional.

This thread is in regards to Kirk's loyalty card being played. I think having it's own thread is justified.

you would you recommend plays ahead of him?

Anybody at this point. I'd rather see a young player with promise who might make some mistakes. Lowery obviously when he comes back...in the interim we have Bernstine, Law, Campbell, Lomax. Please!

I dont think Castillo played all that poorly...the sit down, back shoulder fade at that part of the field and the down?? Tough to defend. He has a big cushion, but most first year starters begin the year like that..it will close down more as the season goes along.

I thought on the WHOLE, Iowa covered well. If we can criticize the defense for not getting any pressure, and Jantz having five to six seconds to throw, that's good coverage...but no one can cover that long

how coulsd cambell, lomax or law have done worse, honestly. catillo's strength is his football iq. he was too hesitant in both phases.

Even if someone has the standpoint that he didn't play that bad...his lack of playmaking ability is going to be detrimental to the team in the long run, especially because he could be taking someone else's opportunity to see the field.

Even if someone has the standpoint that he didn't play that bad...his lack of playmaking ability is going to be detrimental to the team in the long run, especially because he could be taking someone else's opportunity to see the field.

well said. start training campbell or somebody now.

I agree with this post. I said it last year. I do not like Castillo as the starter. He shows flashes but there are just to many times he gets picked on and plays to soft plus he isn't the best athlete either. I think he would be a good sub but not an every down player.

I agree with this post. I said it last year. I do not like Castillo as the starter. He shows flashes but there are just to many times he gets picked on and plays to soft plus he isn't the best athlete either. I think he would be a good sub but not an every down player.

Yeah, every team will determine he is the "weakest link."

This loss wasn't on Castillo. He made some mistakes but at the end of the day he didn't cost Iowa the game.

That TD catch on him near the end of the game was good coverage. The ball was just thrown perfectly..

Your problem isn't Castillo. In fact, most teams have one weaker corner that can be exploited. The problem with Iowa's D is their DL is no where nearly as good as it has been in the past.

Not much QB pressure and not real stout versus the run. That is not a good formula for Norm Parker's defensive strategy. Iowa had to blitz more than I ever remember against ISU.

The problem isn't one or the other. It's both. You can't have a poor cover corner with a DL that doesn't get pressure. However, its easier to fix putting Hyde back at corner than revamping the DL.

This loss wasn't on Castillo. He made some mistakes but at the end of the day he didn't cost Iowa the game.

That TD catch on him near the end of the game was good coverage. The ball was just thrown perfectly..

Agreed. I didn't think Castillo was terrible today. He certainly wasn't as bad as he was when he started a couple years ago. When the initial 2-deeps came out in July I commented on him being comparable to Shada. After today I think he's better than Shada...but there's still time for Castillo to prove me wrong!

I agree w/ prior posters that commented that the DL not getting any pressure just magnifies any deficiencies in the defensive backfield. And even if there aren't deficiencies, it's tough to cover any WR for more than a few seconds. Also note Hyde blew a coverage or 2 today, and that is just as concerning to me as Coker's fumbles.

The thing that really irked me today was how long it took to start blitzing and playing man. I think the DB's could've ran w/ the ISU WR's, and Jantz literally could not have had more time to throw if we were blitzing LB's and playing man.

Latest posts