Cash payments made to SouthCarolina players

docholihawk

In the October 16th issue of YardBarker former South Carolina qb Stephen Garcia says he saw cash payments made to players every day. He admits to himself receiving $160,000.00 one year for autographs. He says it's not uncommon in the SEC. I would think this type of admission would end in a NCAA investigation. Most likely it won't. The NCAA looks the other way when it thinks it should. We all have different views on players making money in college and that's a topic for another day. I'm just curious to see what everybody thinks of the charade the NCAA tries to convey as integrity.

Last edited:
There's so many players that get $ for this stuff. If the ncaa would dig deep they would probably find that 75% of players receive $

I can only say the days of the "student athlete" (i.e. Nile Kinnick) are long gone. Just take a look at your recent Heisman winners (James Winston; Johnny Football; Cam Newton) ... that pretty much sums it up ... College football is simply a business now. It's no coincidence that programs who all of a sudden become "competitive" are doing as such by recruiting more questionable players. Easy classes; players cheating; payers getting paid ... It's unfortunate but true. We had SMU back in the day and I am guessing cheating has always taken place but now I think it is on a grander stage. Now, colleges are building bigger stadiums; more luxury suites ... you name it ... They need fans in the stadium; they need players on the field. Personally, I think college athletics is out of control. College football is my favorite sport but it's sad when you hear a player give an interview and he can barely form a complete sentence ... And somehow that "student" athlete remains eligible.

It's a joke. Today's athletes are like gladiators back in the day ... Put on a show and when you are of no use we toss you aside. So, if that non-speaking "student" athlete can play football then all is well according to that school ... Schools I think of include: Oregon, Okie State, Baylor ... I used to live in Oregon; the Ducks were a nobody ... I mean a nobody. Attending a game in Eugene was like attending a local junior college game. Oregon didn't get this way by simply donning new unis every week ... Okie State? Baylor? Come on ... That would be like ISU all of a sudden fielding a Top 10 team ... It doesn't happen unless you open up the coffers ... Probably why schools like Iowa will always be pretty average programs ...

I can only say the days of the "student athlete" (i.e. Nile Kinnick) are long gone. Just take a look at your recent Heisman winners (James Winston; Johnny Football; Cam Newton) ... that pretty much sums it up ... College football is simply a business now. It's no coincidence that programs who all of a sudden become "competitive" are doing as such by recruiting more questionable players. Easy classes; players cheating; payers getting paid ... It's unfortunate but true. We had SMU back in the day and I am guessing cheating has always taken place but now I think it is on a grander stage. Now, colleges are building bigger stadiums; more luxury suites ... you name it ... They need fans in the stadium; they need players on the field. Personally, I think college athletics is out of control. College football is my favorite sport but it's sad when you hear a player give an interview and he can barely form a complete sentence ... And somehow that "student" athlete remains eligible.

It's a joke. Today's athletes are like gladiators back on the day ... Put on a show and when you are of no use we toss you aside. So, if that non-speaking "student" athlete can play football then all is well according to that school ... Schools I think of include: Oregon, Okie State, Baylor ... I used to live in Oregon; the Ducks were a nobody ... I mean a nobody. Attending a game in Eugene was like attending a local junior college game. Oregon didn't get this way by simply donning new unis every week ... Okie State? Baylor? Come on ... That would be like ISU all of a sudden fielding a Top 10 team ... It doesn't happen unless you open up the coffers ... Probably why schools like Iowa will always be pretty average programs ...

Just what we need, another commie! Ban this Trotsky hugger, Jon - now!

Latest posts