Cartwright article

UrbandaleHawk01

Trying to figure out who this sentence in the article would be referring to

...Iowa was already bringing in another junior college point guard for a visit, and the player had given a soft commitment. That changed on his campus visit.

“We shipped him out,’’ McCaffery said. “He did not act appropriate on his visit. So we told him he better enjoy his next visit.’’

McCaffery declined to name the player, who signed with another Division I program, or what he did. But the door opened for Cartwright.

Bryce Cartwright adjusts to role as starting Big Ten guard | Hawk Central

Interesting. Not fair to speculate, but didn't the dude that ended up going to Hawaii (I think he left there already) come for a visit. Anthony Salter I believe? Glad McCaffrey has some standards. Going JUCO doesn't mean we should go rogue.

Interesting. Not fair to speculate, but didn't the dude that ended up going to Hawaii (I think he left there already) come for a visit. Anthony Salter I believe? Glad McCaffrey has some standards. Going JUCO doesn't mean we should go rogue.

Good call on this. I remember the name now. Took a campus visit to Hawaii after his visit to Iowa and then an article surfaced about how much he enjoyed his visit to Hawaii.

It was definitely Anthony Salter from Iowa Lakes. Kurt Alexander never officially visited per someone on HR and there are and were definitely major character concerns with Salter.

Also from the article:

Speraw, unsure exactly what McCaffery was looking for in a point guard, got some tape of Cartwright.
“Coach is really perceptive,’’ Speraw said. “He picks things up very quickly. When he watched Bryce’s tape he said, “I like this guy, he really has a feel for the game.’ ’’

This has to be a huge reason why McCaffery is so good at turning around programs. We aren't going to be in the running for elite recruits for the next couple of years, but Fran seems to be great at seeing things that other coaches don't. It sounds like no other major schools were in on Cartwright, and he will be one of the best PGs in the Big Ten next year. I love it.

Also from the article:

Speraw, unsure exactly what McCaffery was looking for in a point guard, got some tape of Cartwright.
“Coach is really perceptive,’’ Speraw said. “He picks things up very quickly. When he watched Bryce’s tape he said, “I like this guy, he really has a feel for the game.’ ’’

This has to be a huge reason why McCaffery is so good at turning around programs. We aren't going to be in the running for elite recruits for the next couple of years, but Fran seems to be great at seeing things that other coaches don't. It sounds like no other major schools were in on Cartwright, and he will be one of the best PGs in the Big Ten next year. I love it.

Yep. A coach wants a pg to be an extension of him on the court. Also, this: Fran, "But I think the thing that has impressed me most is that he’s just fearless." Exactly my thought after watching the Indiana game.

Anthony Salter without a doubt. The kid was pretty much signed, sealed and delivered right up to his official and then poof, he was gone. Not sure what happened but based on the fact the kid is now leaving Hawaii most guesses would probably be accurate. Good on Fran for not allowing a misfit onto the team at such an early stage.

Latest posts