Cardale Jones (Video Link)

thejumper5

I just watched this video of the 2011 QB from Glenville (Cleveland, OH). Iowa is the top school that's offered so far. I could see him being a very good college QB, largely due to how nimble he looks for a guy his size (6-5, 215).
Thoughts?
2011 Cardale Jones - Glenville (State09)
PS-There are two other video links of him on the same page.

Bowling Green, West Virginia, Iowa, Illinois

With his skill set in mind, which of these schools doesn't belong? He seems like a prototypical QB for any of those other schools...a guy who can provide a throwing threat while also being able to make noise with his legs. He would work in our offense, but unless we had a significant shift in identity, I feel like we wouldn't utilize his potential to it's fullest.

Just MHO, though...

Bowling Green, West Virginia, Iowa, Illinois

With his skill set in mind, which of these schools doesn't belong? He seems like a prototypical QB for any of those other schools...a guy who can provide a throwing threat while also being able to make noise with his legs. He would work in our offense, but unless we had a significant shift in identity, I feel like we wouldn't utilize his potential to it's fullest.

Just MHO, though...

hawkfan2679 -

I wholeheartedly disagree. For goodness sakes, Smith and Pryor chose tOSU in order to play Tressel-ball. Tressel doesn't have them do anything more outlandish and/or inventive than what Iowa does on O.

Penn State really isn't all that fundamentally different from the Hawkeyes either and yet look at them landing QBs who share the same skill sets as Cardale Jones.

It's worth reiterating that Iowa happily exploited Brad Banks's wonderful mobility ... and rode it all the way to the Orange Bowl. Furthermore, it very nearly won Banks the Heisman too! Do you think that Brad Banks believes that Iowa would misuse that sort of skill-set?

It's true that Cardale Jones might not have the sort of production at Iowa that he might have at schools that feature specialized "schemes" ... however, Iowa's O will still allow him to use his mobility to the fullest. Furthermore, while he may not put up insane stats, NFL scouts will know that he was well taught and came from a very NFL-friendly system.

Look at what has or will become of Illinois's Juice, Florida's Tebow, and Indiana's Lewis (former QB/WR). In the end, those guys chose a "system" ... and the system effectively ended up dramatically hurting any NFL aspirations they might have had (at least at the QB spot).

I wish folks would quit propagating the "myth."

Look at programs like Missouri and Kansas and what it really means to have a pretty decent team but one or two really great players. Missouri rode Maclin and Daniel a long way with almost no defense. Granted, they play a different style of offense, but we certainly all wonder what would have happened with SG still in Iowa this year. That's a star player that fit our style of offense. I hope Cardale becomes a Hawk. With our defense and mobile quarterback throwing to a guy like McNutt with maybe a guy like Coker in the backfield(if he is even close to a SG type back) and Wegher all behind an Iowa offensive line and we could really be formidable. As much as I love the blue collar ethic of our teams, I really think the only missing piece of the puzzle with Iowa as far as a NC is concerned is a couple of game changers on offense like Maclin or Briscoe. McNutt and Wegher haven't reached their full potential, so maybe they're going to be our difference makers in the next year or two.

Neither Briscoe nor Maclin were considered otherworldly recruits. According scout, Maclin was just a 3-star talent and Briscoe was a 2-star talent.

As far as we know, Cotton and Martin-Manley could end up being our own versions of Maclin and/or Briscoe.

Look at programs like Missouri and Kansas and what it really means to have a pretty decent team but one or two really great players. Missouri rode Maclin and Daniel a long way with almost no defense. Granted, they play a different style of offense, but we certainly all wonder what would have happened with SG still in Iowa this year. That's a star player that fit our style of offense. I hope Cardale becomes a Hawk. With our defense and mobile quarterback throwing to a guy like McNutt with maybe a guy like Coker in the backfield(if he is even close to a SG type back) and Wegher all behind an Iowa offensive line and we could really be formidable. As much as I love the blue collar ethic of our teams, I really think the only missing piece of the puzzle with Iowa as far as a NC is concerned is a couple of game changers on offense like Maclin or Briscoe. McNutt and Wegher haven't reached their full potential, so maybe they're going to be our difference makers in the next year or two.

You're absolutely right. We don't know. I hope Cotton and Martin-Manley become Briscoe/Maclin type players. Nothing saying they won't. It doesn't matter to me if someone like that is on our roster now or we can sign someone in the near future like that, I just know its a good thing to have at least one legitimate game breaker. Like Shonn Greene was. He probably gave nightmares to more that one defensive coordinator. In fact, there's probably a couple safeties from Michigan State that are still having nightmares.

Looks like he's very good at throwing on the run and kinda reminds me of Big Ben in that he seems to be at his best when the play is breaking down...that being said, he seems to hit the giddy-up button even if the pocket's not collapsing on him...I'm sure that can be corrected by being taught to trust what his linemen are doing.

He didn't take a snap under center and appeared to want to get out of the pocket after 1.5 seconds, which are things he could work out but if I were a betting man I would put money on if he goes to Iowa that his jersey number will be somewhere in the 80's.

hawkfan2679 -

I wholeheartedly disagree. For goodness sakes, Smith and Pryor chose tOSU in order to play Tressel-ball. Tressel doesn't have them do anything more outlandish and/or inventive than what Iowa does on O.

Penn State really isn't all that fundamentally different from the Hawkeyes either and yet look at them landing QBs who share the same skill sets as Cardale Jones.

It's worth reiterating that Iowa happily exploited Brad Banks's wonderful mobility ... and rode it all the way to the Orange Bowl. Furthermore, it very nearly won Banks the Heisman too! Do you think that Brad Banks believes that Iowa would misuse that sort of skill-set?

It's true that Cardale Jones might not have the sort of production at Iowa that he might have at schools that feature specialized "schemes" ... however, Iowa's O will still allow him to use his mobility to the fullest. Furthermore, while he may not put up insane stats, NFL scouts will know that he was well taught and came from a very NFL-friendly system.

Look at what has or will become of Illinois's Juice, Florida's Tebow, and Indiana's Lewis (former QB/WR). In the end, those guys chose a "system" ... and the system effectively ended up dramatically hurting any NFL aspirations they might have had (at least at the QB spot).

I wish folks would quit propagating the "myth."

Pryor isn't a good comparison...he chose Ohio State because it was Ohio State. He may have felt that his NFL chances were the best there, but he could have gone anywhere. I don't think this kid has as many open doors as Pryor...not to say he's not a stud in the making, but his offers lack Pryor's "wow" factor.

Juice couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, Tebow just now released a ball he started his motion on last Thursday, and Kellen Lewis was far too small to be an NFL QB. Given his current offers, it's not a slam dunk that he's going to go to a place where he can best further his NFL aspirations...if he does, Iowa has as good a shot as any.

I think that if we didn't have so much other talent on that 2002 team, Banks could have had an even more special season...running an occasional QB draw isn't exactly "exploiting" his talents.

Unless this kid truly has NFL aspirations, and expects his college choice to get him there, we're at an inherent schematic advantage. That's all I'm really saying...I don't know what myth I'm perpetuating.

Has been offered by UM and Penn St. is interested too. This kid can play QB in the B10, no doubt. He looked completely different at the end of the season, the improvement was signifigant. Kid can ball and should have a big senior season...

Latest posts