Can Dolphin go independent?

thehawk

Could Gary get a few backers and just do his own gig? A lot of people listen using the internet and it is pretty easy to set up a stream. WHO has been run into the ground by iHeart. It isn't nearly as important anymore. There's other radio groups and frequencies that could broadcast him. I could see him quite easily getting a big percentage of listeners to migrate.

Could Gary get a few backers and just do his own gig? A lot of people listen using the internet and it is pretty easy to set up a stream. WHO has been run into the ground by iHeart. It isn't nearly as important anymore. There's other radio groups and frequencies that could broadcast him. I could see him quite easily getting a big percentage of listeners to migrate.

They could try but they would be sued big time and then would Gary have to watch the game on TV to do his broadcast because the UI would not give them space in Kinnick. And the lawsuit would probably quickly and easily get an issue to cease and dissist or whatever you call it.

And doing this is not the high road that would get Dolph his job back.

Learfield or whoever is Gary's boss owns the rights Exclusively granted by the UI. Gone are the days when multiple radio stations originated their own football and bball broadcasts. I myself hated that change because if you didnt like Zabel you could listen to Bob Brooks, Frosty Mitchell or several others.

It was another money grab but monopoly contracts/huge companies are the ways of our "new world order".

The lawsuit could affect the broadcast structure who has that frequency or internet IP. This is the trouble with exclusive agreements.

I just read the official press release and I did not know Dolph apologized and called his comment wrong and insensitive.

Here's what King Kong thinks about what was done to Gary by Learfield and the athletic program:

images

Learfield or whoever is Gary's boss owns the rights Exclusively granted by the UI. Gone are the days when multiple radio stations originated their own football and bball broadcasts.

Maybe our state legislators need to review and consider a statute that grants unrestricted press access and broadcast rights to sporting events at state universities. Replace the licensing revenue with a provision for revenue share from any commercial advertising done by the broadcaster. Let free market decide then which broadcasters win market share.

This brings to mind an old joke. There was this scavenger hunt, and one of the final items on the hunt was a bag of ping pong balls. Well, all the participants eventually returned except for "Bart A", 2 days past, and no sign of "Bart". Finally, on day 3, "Bart A" shows up. He is beat up, bloody, missing a few fingers and most of his teeth, in general looking like he was dragged behind a car on one of Iowa's worst gravel roads. He is carrying a big hairy sack. The organizer asks, "Gary, where the hell have you been? All you needed to do was bring back a sack of ping pong balls....." to which Gary replies, "Ping Pong Balls? PING PONG BALLS? I thought you said "King Kong's Balls!".

Nuff said!

Maybe our state legislators need to review and consider a statute that grants unrestricted press access and broadcast rights to sporting events at state universities. Replace the licensing revenue with a provision for revenue share from any commercial advertising done by the broadcaster. Let free market decide then which broadcasters win market share.

I would not have any problem with that for audio or print only media. It would be prohibitively expensive for multiple TV, cable, video outlets to each do a game.

I would not mind another option to listen to the hawks on radio.

And I do not listen for Dolph, not for Zabel, not for Brooks, I listen for the great insight a former player/coach like Evy or Podolak bring to the broadcast. I really like to hear their analysis. Bobby Hansen is above avg.

I have not thought Dolph was doing a super bang up job for 10-12 years.

If Dolph goes I hope Paul Burmeister, former hawk and NBC and NFL Network announcer would be a good choice.

I would not have any problem with that for audio or print only media. It would be prohibitively expensive for multiple TV, cable, video outlets to each do a game.

I would not mind another option to listen to the hawks on radio.

And I do not listen for Dolph, not for Zabel, not for Brooks, I listen for the great insight a former player/coach like Evy or Podolak bring to the broadcast. I really like to hear their analysis. Bobby Hansen is above avg.

I have not thought Dolph was doing a super bang up job for 10-12 years.

If Dolph goes I hope Paul Burmeister, former hawk and NBC and NFL Network announcer would be a good choice.
Beth Mowins Baby!

Perhaps The BBC.

Latest posts