Call it now...Good loss...if there is such a thing....Hayden Fry would disagree

HaydenHawk56

I call it like I see it. I have predicted they will not make the Big Dance this year (still think unlikely, but they could be growing on me), but Iowa looked bubble worthy tonight in a loss. Ole Fran defense, overall quickness, completeness, and athleticism holding them back. They hung tough though and Garza has obviously developed his game leaps and bounds. Imagine that, a player that is developing big time under Fran. About time in year 10.

But, 2 things I do like if Iowa can make it to the dance. Garza obviously, but the team is playing with grit and heart right now. That would be something if that continues throughout the year. No mental droughts. The lone exception is Joe. He needs to get his head more in the game (or out of his head). Sometimes those things can carry you above yourself. Still think NIT, but if they put some more pieces together, they could be a worthy dance team next year.....or squeak in this year.

Last edited:
I’m not upset with the loss. Figured they would lose. Defend the pick and roll better and rebound better and this game is real close. Michigan sold out on guarding our 3 point shooters and it paid off. Garza ate them up, but their bet paid off. Iowa will beat some teams this year. We’ll have to wait to see what JBo decides.

I’m not upset with the loss. Figured they would lose. Defend the pick and roll better and rebound better and this game is real close. Michigan sold out on guarding our 3 point shooters and it paid off. Garza ate them up, but their bet paid off. Iowa will beat some teams this year. We’ll have to wait to see what JBo decides.
Michigan took away our threes. It was a game where we needed more Toussaint but Fran had a short leash with him. I know he made some mistakes but he’s our best defensive guard number one, and he can get in the lane and kick it out to shooters.

We played well vs the #4 team in their house. Garza was the best player on the floor, If his teammates can feed off him and step up their game, we will go to the Big Dance.

Marble, Jok, Uthoff, Clemmons, and Olaseni all made huge strides and developed under Fran.
I will give you Jok.....Olaseni could block shots.....those other guys developed, but were soft in the core when it counted. Garza is looking a lot more elite at this stage in his development compared to the other mentioned guys.

I’m a little mad right now, but I think overall it’s not a bad loss. We showed we can compete on the road with a really good team. Fredrick was nowhere near 100%, Iowa didn’t get a good whistle at all from the zebras, and Michigan shot really well.

Our defense was still terrible though so a long way to go there.

I hope Fran learned a few things.. but I doubt he did. Those things would be, Pemsl isn’t bringing us much at all, scrap that stupid matchup zone, and regardless of the occasional mistake we need more Toussaint for defense at the very least.

Michigan took away our threes. It was a game where we needed more Toussaint but Fran had a short leash with him. I know he made some mistakes but he’s our best defensive guard number one, and he can get in the lane and kick it out to shooters.

Solid passer as well. Can recall 2 great passes that we couldn’t finish. One being a huge bricked dunk by Kreiner.

Solid passer as well. Can recall 2 great passes that we couldn’t finish. One being a huge bricked dunk by Kreiner.
In my opinion Kriener and Pemsl were very bad for us tonight. I know Kriener threw in a couple shots, but even when we had the two big lineups we couldn’t get a defensive rebound and Michigan was just exposing mismatches with out footspeed.

Aaron White much?
Aaron White. Tough player, but could also be another player that disappeared at times. Garza still ahead in development in comparative points.

I'm talking the complete package....strong physically and mentally. Garza looks to be ahead of all the above mentioned.

Aaron White. Tough player, but could also be another player that disappeared at times. Garza still ahead in development in comparative points.

I'm talking the complete package....strong physically and mentally. Garza looks to be ahead of all the above mentioned.
You’re moving the goalposts. You said a player is developing big time under Fran as if it had never happened. We gave examples of other guys who have improved. Who’s the best player of the bunch is a completely different argument.

You’re moving the goalposts. You said a player is developing big time under Fran as if it had never happened. We gave examples of other guys who have improved. Who’s the best player of the bunch is a completely different argument.

Notice in my first post that I said developing a player big time. If Garza keeps playing this way, he could spend worthwhile time in the NBA......not just a couple of weeks then playing in the D-League or Overseas. So, not moving the goalposts. Not that Fran has seen growth out of his players, but this looks considerable in Garza.

Last edited:
Notice in my first post that I said developing a player big time. If Garza keeps playing this way, he could spend worthwhile time in the NBA......did just a couple of weeks then playing in the D-League or Overseas. So, not moving the goalposts. Not that Fran has seen growth out of his players, but this looks considerable in Garza.
I think people need to tone down the Garza NBA talk. Listen I love what he’s doing this year it’s simply been amazing, but in the NBA as a big if you can’t defend the pick and roll you can’t play, they will pick you apart. Tonight was a perfect example, Garza was exposed in the pick and roll game. He’s just too slow laterally. How many dunks or easy bunnies did Michigan have putting Garza in the pick and roll?

Again love what he’s doing, love the kid as a hawk, love his improvement, which includes defensive improvement, but sometimes even elite level college players don’t project out to the NBA for whatever reason. Ethan Happ is an example of that for lack of shooting. Garza I don’t think will make it do to lack of lateral quickness and ability to defend. His best asset is his low post game which isn’t a big part of the NBA game either.

Michigan simply hit a lot of open shots in the second half, along with the bad post defense it was just more than the Hawks could handle. I thought Iowa played well on the road and competed. Michigan will not lose many home games. It's not doom and gloom. The defense has to get better though and Iowa needs to get healthy. Iowa has to crash the boards, it can't just be Garza.

I think people need to tone down the Garza NBA talk. Listen I love what he’s doing this year it’s simply been amazing, but in the NBA as a big if you can’t defend the pick and roll you can’t play, they will pick you apart. Tonight was a perfect example, Garza was exposed in the pick and roll game. He’s just too slow laterally. How many dunks or easy bunnies did Michigan have putting Garza in the pick and roll?

Again love what he’s doing, love the kid as a hawk, love his improvement, which includes defensive improvement, but sometimes even elite level college players don’t project out to the NBA for whatever reason. Ethan Happ is an example of that for lack of shooting. Garza I don’t think will make it do to lack of lateral quickness and ability to defend. His best asset is his low post game which isn’t a big part of the NBA game either.

I blame this on Fran's stupid defense which pulls the center out to double the guard penetration. Since Fran got here he has had no big capable of stepping out to double and dropping back to the basket. Please scrap this defense Fran! It has always led to our center picking up cheap fouls at the top of the key and allowing layups on the backend. Garza played like a stud on defense and offense today, he just can't do it alone.

Can anyone explain why we didn't go to Troussant earlier in the second half then why Fran took him out after he helped cut the lead to single digits? Fran then brought in the slowest players who then got abused on the press.

I call it like I see it. I have predicted they will not make the Big Dance this year (still think unlikely, but they could be growing on me), but Iowa looked bubble worthy tonight in a loss. Ole Fran defense, overall quickness, completeness, and athleticism holding them back. They hung tough though and Garza has obviously developed his game leaps and bounds. Imagine that, a player that is developing big time under Fran. About time in year 10.

But, 2 things I do like if Iowa can make it to the dance. Garza obviously, but the team is playing with grit and heart right now. That would be something if that continues throughout the year. No mental droughts. The lone exception is Joe. He needs to get his head more in the game (or out of his head). Sometimes those things can carry you above yourself. Still think NIT, but if they put some more pieces together, they could be a worthy dance team next year.....or squeak in this year.
Agree. Thought Joe had some injury? Shoulder? Could be wrong. A Little Time! Like Cooking. They Hung in there. Did not seem to Sorta Hang their heads. ' Ole' Defense fading Step by Step? H/C and Staff are themselves. Change Generally Starts at Top. Need Jbo for Run at Dance. ISU Big Test.

Both teams shot roughly the same number of threes. We were 3/15 vs their 9/16. I'm no mathematician, but if we hit the same percentage of our threes as they did, we win the game.

I have a feeling that will be our season. Hit our threes we win. Go cold from 3 we lose.

Latest posts