By the numbers: Thanks Coach Lick!

DesMoinesHawki

Who said it couldn't be done! ... Look at these records set by the team that is progressing; the team headed in the right direction; the team with the players who "don't quit"; the team that is incorporating the fail-proof "Butler system" ...

By the numbers:

2 - Games we lost to Wisconsin and Minnesota that turned out to be the worst losses ON RECORD to either school. Way to go coach!

32 - Number of games played to date

14 - Number of those games we scored in the 50s or lower

21 - Number of losses by the great Coach Lick

15.04 - Average points we lost by

25.5 - Average point loss in our last four road games

8 - Number of losses in our last 10 games

But wait, it gets better! Look at the teams who fell victim to the "Butler system" ... the teams who just could not handle playing with fast-paced; uptempo peach basket-style of basketball instilled by Coach Lick:

Marian University (who?)
Bowling Green (maybe in football??)
NC Central (Is this like beating Iowa Wesleyan?)
Drake (okay, it's Drake)
South Carolina State (South Carolina has a "State" school?)
Tennessee State
Penn State (perennial bottom feeder)
Indiana (The worst Indiana team I have seen in my lifetime)
Northwestern (perennial bottom feeder)
Indiana (same as above)

Folks, this is not just about having a young team. Heck, look at what Bluder did with the youngest women's team in the Big 10 ... She was faced with injuries and playing freshmen, etc., and she almost won the Big 10 tourney title against the Buckeyes. This is about a coach who is not the right fit for the U of Iowa ... He came into Iowa City thinking he could win with the same Missouri Valley-type talent he was used to recruiting ... Lick was a mistake. And for the five of you still sitting in the stands at Carver, next year is not going to be much better. Four true freshmen are not going to make up for the 35 and 27 point losses to Minnesota and Wisky, respectively ... To bring Lick back for another season is only going to get the program back even further. The fans have reached a level unseen in recent Hawkeye memory ... a fan base that has just disappeared ... This isn't just about buying a coach out of his contract ... This is about alienating a fan base that is only going to continue to get smaller ... This "system" may have worked at Butler ... But this is the Big 10. Night in and night out, you are playing Big 10 teams and you need Big 10 talent ... And for the Lick supporters, if we have Big 10 talent on our current roster then how come that Big 10 talent is getting blown off the court?

I thought for sure Lick gets another season (and most likely he will), but then again, I never thought Iowa basketball could reach this level ... And I have been a die-hard fan of Iowa basketball for 30 years. Never, ever anything close to what is happening now ... The product. The loss of fans ... Okay .. I need to stop typing ...

I certainly hope that no Iowa basketball coach ever breaks Lickliter's record of 58 losses in three seasons, or 22 losses in a single season.

I was thinking about who we have beat this year too. We do not have one upset win this year. Northwestern is the only game you could maybe say was an upset.

Who said it couldn't be done! ... Look at these records set by the team that is progressing; the team headed in the right direction; the team with the players who "don't quit"; the team that is incorporating the fail-proof "Butler system" ...

By the numbers:

2 - Games we lost to Wisconsin and Minnesota that turned out to be the worst losses ON RECORD to either school. Way to go coach!

32 - Number of games played to date

14 - Number of those games we scored in the 50s or lower

21 - Number of losses by the great Coach Lick

15.04 - Average points we lost by

25.5 - Average point loss in our last four road games

8 - Number of losses in our last 10 games

But wait, it gets better! Look at the teams who fell victim to the "Butler system" ... the teams who just could not handle playing with fast-paced; uptempo peach basket-style of basketball instilled by Coach Lick:

Marian University (who?)
Bowling Green (maybe in football??)
NC Central (Is this like beating Iowa Wesleyan?)
Drake (okay, it's Drake)
South Carolina State (South Carolina has a "State" school?)
Tennessee State
Penn State (perennial bottom feeder)
Indiana (The worst Indiana team I have seen in my lifetime)
Northwestern (perennial bottom feeder)
Indiana (same as above)

Folks, this is not just about having a young team. Heck, look at what Bluder did with the youngest women's team in the Big 10 ... She was faced with injuries and playing freshmen, etc., and she almost won the Big 10 tourney title against the Buckeyes. This is about a coach who is not the right fit for the U of Iowa ... He came into Iowa City thinking he could win with the same Missouri Valley-type talent he was used to recruiting ... Lick was a mistake. And for the five of you still sitting in the stands at Carver, next year is not going to be much better. Four true freshmen are not going to make up for the 35 and 27 point losses to Minnesota and Wisky, respectively ... To bring Lick back for another season is only going to get the program back even further. The fans have reached a level unseen in recent Hawkeye memory ... a fan base that has just disappeared ... This isn't just about buying a coach out of his contract ... This is about alienating a fan base that is only going to continue to get smaller ... This "system" may have worked at Butler ... But this is the Big 10. Night in and night out, you are playing Big 10 teams and you need Big 10 talent ... And for the Lick supporters, if we have Big 10 talent on our current roster then how come that Big 10 talent is getting blown off the court?

I thought for sure Lick gets another season (and most likely he will), but then again, I never thought Iowa basketball could reach this level ... And I have been a die-hard fan of Iowa basketball for 30 years. Never, ever anything close to what is happening now ... The product. The loss of fans ... Okay .. I need to stop typing ...

Well, I can at least applaud you for putting all of that together. You should be proud of your work. No, I'm serious!

aren't there enough threads like this, its now reached a point where the pro and anti lick threads are annoying. come up with something new, the horse is already dead

aren't there enough threads like this, its now reached a point where the pro and anti lick threads are annoying. come up with something new, the horse is already dead

there isnt anything else to talk about until the search for the next coach begins next week

As long as Lickliter is still here we can never have to many Lickbashing posts.

As long as Lickliter is still here we can never have to many Lickbashing posts.

In all seriousness, why don't some of you who want Lick gone send him an e-mail asking him to resign. I am sure you can find an e-mail address under the UofI athletic department. Instead of venting on here, vent to Barta and Lick, people who can actually do something about it.

In all seriousness, why don't some of you who want Lick gone send him an e-mail asking him to resign. I am sure you can find an e-mail address under the UofI athletic department. Instead of venting on here, vent to Barta and Lick, people who can actually do something about it.

Why don't you email Lick and tell him that the past three pathetic years have no affect on your hope for the upcoming years and you think he can still get the job done instead of telling everybody on here about it?

Forever....you might just want to take a break from the boards for awhile...seriously. If you thought you'd come here and see warm and fuzzy posts about Iowa basketball, you obviously have been on an extended vacation and haven't watched a game for awhile.

I think many of these same people were calling for Kirk Ferentz to be fired a couple years ago as well.

I was born after Dick Schultz was the Men's head coach, but I used to look back and wonder how Dick Schultz ever got away with 4 years as Iowa's basketball coach with his W-L record.

Now I'm watching an even worse era of Iowa basketball happen in real time and can't believe it. Let alone there are folks still justifying another year of it.

Even more odd is some posters can't understand why we're so negative about it.

I think many of these same people were calling for Kirk Ferentz to be fired a couple years ago as well.

Actually no, I don't think there is any direct correlation between the two events. I want Lick gone but did not want Ferentz gone...there is a major difference between a coach that has had past success at a school and then stumbles and a coach that has had no success at a school and has stumbled (tripped, faceplanted, and sprained his ankle in the process) since day 1.

And what "new" approach would you take boneshq? This is the story. What else would you talk about? How we progressed throughout the season? The ties that Lick wheres? The color scheme of Carver Hawkeye Arena ... The news is Todd Lickliter ... Whatever side of the fence you may be on, you can't stick your head in the sand and pretend this doesn't exist or more importantly, expect people to just not talk about it ... on a message board of all places! How dare they!

Yes, because they are waaayyyy off base here. The worst 3 year coaching record at Iowa is no reason to call for his resignation.
25pt blow-out losses were a fluke and doesnt accurately reflect the amount of progress this team is showing.
I dont understand why these guys are so upset. The players are having a ball on the court. I've never seen a team with a losing record having so much fun.
Some people just cant see the big picture, I guess.

Latest posts