Buster Posey wins NL Rookie of the Year

hwkwyld

Things just keep coming up Orange!

busterpower3.gif

Buster is the real deal. I love Starlin Castro and Heyward was damn good at times, but Posey was the best choice as he was consistent from day 1.

Buster is the real deal. I love Starlin Castro and Heyward was damn good at times, but Posey was the best choice as he was consistent from day 1.

He was? He didn't play until June and only played in 108 games this year.

I think it's obvious that his playoff run is what won it for him. Heyward had more games, runs, hits, doubles, triples, tied for home runs, more rbi's, more stolen bases, and a higher on base percentage.

I think it's obvious that his playoff run is what won it for him. Heyward had more games, runs, hits, doubles, triples, tied for home runs, more rbi's, more stolen bases, and a higher on base percentage.

Without question Buster Posey was. I actually don't see much debate in this.

Buster Posey in 108 games- 406 At Bats
Avg- .305
HR- 18
Hits- 124
RBI- 67
Runs- 58
OBP- .357
Slugging- .505
Strikeouts- 55

Jason Heyward in 142 games- 520 At Bats
Avg- .277
HR- 18
Hits- 144
RBI- 72
Runs- 83
OBP- .393
Slugging- .456
K's- 128

Actually it wasn't. Completed ballots were due prior to the start of the post season. Playoff performance did not factor into voting at all.

While Heyward did indeed have more runs (83/58), hits (144/124), doubles (29/23), triples (5/2), RBIs (72/67) stolen bases (11/0) and a higher OBP (.393/.357), as you said he had more games to do it in (142/108). With the exception of stolen bases you could make the argument that if Posey had been there the entire season his numbers would have been greater than Heyward's.

Also ROTY is given to the BEST overall Rookie. Heyward did as good of job at the plate as Posey, but Posey's position put him over the top. His handling of MLB's #1 pitching staff is second to none. The last three weeks of the season he managed games where the pitchers (starting and relief) gave up NO MORE than 3 runs a game.

The September run not only earned San Francisco their first World Championship but Buster his Rookie of the Year.

Latest posts