Brown: Some College Basketball Changes Not for the Better

Good article. I agree with Brown, I'm not sure I like where this is headed. I guess it'll keep things interesting and open up some more strategies for building a winning team.

Gotta love Fran..."I wouldn't say I'm not big on transfers". 2 in 11 years. He actually might need a 28 day stint in a local TA facility for his clear transfer addiction problem.

The counter-argument goes as follows: Head coaches could leave any time they wanted to without sitting out or any other repercussions....why couldn't the players? As the voices of the Jay Bilas types got louder and louder it seemed inevitable that this would be the path college basketball was heading. Covid just sped things up.

I am not going to get weepy eye'd and yearn for the Jimmy Chitwood nostalgia bullshit from the past. College basketball made their bed and now they have to lie in it. More importantly, it levels the playing field, at least in the short term. What is more realistic? Iowa in a final 4 or Iowa in a college playoff? .05% chance to make the final 4. .01% chance to make the college playoff. The football program is stuck in a 9-3/8-4 purgatory with no way out. Despite Fran's lack of success in the post season you can at least see a path where it can be done.

Basically, it is a long winded way of saying it makes it easier for Iowa to do special things, so I do not mind it one bit. Fran can despise it all he wants, but it indirectly helps him.

The counter-argument goes as follows: Head coaches could leave any time they wanted to without sitting out or any other repercussions....why couldn't the players?
Previously if a coach left a school, players could transfer with immediate eligibility. That argument doesn’t equate to this.

Basically, it is a long winded way of saying it makes it easier for Iowa to do special things, so I do not mind it one bit. Fran can despise it all he wants, but it indirectly helps him.
Not really. This doesn’t really change the fact that there’s nothing at Iowa that would make a really good impact player come to Iowa. If anything this rule hurts Fran because if we luck into a good player or find a late bloomer who was under recruited it makes it all that more easy fir then to leave, a la Frederick.

The counter-argument goes as follows: Head coaches could leave any time they wanted to without sitting out or any other repercussions....why couldn't the players? As the voices of the Jay Bilas types got louder and louder it seemed inevitable that this would be the path college basketball was heading. Covid just sped things up.

I am not going to get weepy eye'd and yearn for the Jimmy Chitwood nostalgia bullshit from the past. College basketball made their bed and now they have to lie in it. More importantly, it levels the playing field, at least in the short term. What is more realistic? Iowa in a final 4 or Iowa in a college playoff? .05% chance to make the final 4. .01% chance to make the college playoff. The football program is stuck in a 9-3/8-4 purgatory with no way out. Despite Fran's lack of success in the post season you can at least see a path where it can be done.

I’m not going to get weepy eyed either. It’s the new reality. I’m just not going to enjoy college basketball as much. It’s by far my favorite sport. But it’s possible I could lose interest.

Not really. This doesn’t really change the fact that there’s nothing at Iowa that would make a really good impact player come to Iowa. If anything this rule hurts Fran because if we luck into a good player or find a late bloomer who was under recruited it makes it all that more easy fir then to leave, a la Frederick.

Pretty much how I am seeing it. I hear so much that Iowa is a "developmental program" who has to rely on 4-year players to have success. Seems true. If even a lot of our 4-year guys aren't going to stay, then where the heck does that leave us if not constantly having to start over with underclassmen all the time? What's our path to success if we can't depend on guys sticking around?

That spells disaster for programs like us, unless I'm way off base here.