Brent Yarina's 5 BIG 2014-15 Breakout Players

I like Uthoff, but he would need to take a significant step forward in consistency.

Gesell is a proven performer at the Big Ten level - if he starts connecting on his outside shots, he is absolutely All-Conference caliber.

I agree, I think MG is tough mentely and He has a break out year. He Woody and White will lead this team

It's hard for me to argue with any of the names on that list. I will be happy if he goes 1 for 5...assuming it's the right one.

MG might be mentally tough but he's not that smart of a player yet. Some of the bone headed plays he's made weather it was committing a stupid foul or his shot selection at times just surprised me. Now he's only a sophomore and has room to get better for sure. He's athletic enough and can shoot. I think if he improves his shot more plays smarter he can be a great not good player. I don't think he's bad now by any means. I think he lost some mojo the last couple weeks during their slide. Between him Uthoff and Jok those 3 are who I'm most interested to see play day 1 next year.

Valentine is one ugly, goofy looking mofo is the main thing that I took away from that article.

I hope the author is correct about MG. We're gonna need him to step up big time.

Gesell better learn how to run a halfcourt offense if he's going to 'breakout'. He's great in transition but at the end of the year teams were taking that away by flying back to set up a halfcourt defense after taking a shot and Iowa suddenly couldn't beat anybody.

I'd love to say Gabe Olesani in this type of article. Can he make a huge leap and be a force around the basket? If I were Fran, White, Olesani, and Uthoff would spend the summer with the football team doing Doyles workouts. We need to be tougher down low and strong to the basket in traffic. We just weren't last year. When you see the top tier teams and what their big people do around the basket in traffic, it's pretty evident we got work to do.

I'd love to say Gabe Olesani in this type of article. Can he make a huge leap and be a force around the basket? If I were Fran, White, Olesani, and Uthoff would spend the summer with the football team doing Doyles workouts. We need to be tougher down low and strong to the basket in traffic. We just weren't last year. When you see the top tier teams and what their big people do around the basket in traffic, it's pretty evident we got work to do.

This.
Must. Lift. Weights.

MG might be mentally tough but he's not that smart of a player yet. Some of the bone headed plays he's made weather it was committing a stupid foul or his shot selection at times just surprised me. Now he's only a sophomore and has room to get better for sure. He's athletic enough and can shoot. I think if he improves his shot more plays smarter he can be a great not good player. I don't think he's bad now by any means. I think he lost some mojo the last couple weeks during their slide. Between him Uthoff and Jok those 3 are who I'm most interested to see play day 1 next year.

I have to disagree with this a little. Yes Mike made a handful of bad decisions late in the year. However, you can't have a 3 to 1 assist to T/O ratio if you are not a smart player and not making good decisions most of the time. I think most that are around the program would agree that Mike has a high basketball IQ. Extremely intelligent in the classroom as well.

Yea it seems like you about have to write off anything that happened after we went to Ind. to not play a game. Whatever happened to the team that went over there we don't know because they never were seen again

I have to disagree with this a little. Yes Mike made a handful of bad decisions late in the year. However, you can't have a 3 to 1 assist to T/O ratio if you are not a smart player and not making good decisions most of the time. I think most that are around the program would agree that Mike has a high basketball IQ. Extremely intelligent in the classroom as well.

***LIKE***

If you count terrible shooting and poor shot selection as turnovers, then you would t be using this misleading stat to support your position.

Why is everyone so high on Jok? He looks slow to me and cannot play effective defense. If he improves, I still dont think he should get any substantial minutes based on his ability. Fran has to many other options to come off the bench.

Why is everyone so high on Jok? He looks slow to me and cannot play effective defense. If he improves, I still dont think he should get any substantial minutes based on his ability. Fran has to many other options to come off the bench.

Dumb post or weak troll attempt? Probably both.

Latest posts