Boy I think Fran is cooking his goose now

Only in one season did I feel Fran did a bad job. That was the season they lost like their last six or seven games. I haven't seen anything from Fran like this season before. Losing close games is sometimes gonna happen, teams get snakebit yadda, yadda, but bad D, bad O, indifferent players, and lack of hustle. There has to be some bad juju somewhere on this team. Maybe older players being passed up for younger, discontent, I don't know. I just can't think of a reason this team is so inept. There's a lot of laughing and giggling going on on the bench which is fine if your winning, just looks out of place when you're losing at home by 15. Losing Williams (which was strange for a player to transfer with tons of playing time available) might have been the first symptom.
I remember a team with Les Jepson, probably the most unathletic big man ever at Iowa, beat a good Michigan team on guts alone. Fran is not getting Max effort from these guys.

Only in one season did I feel Fran did a bad job. That was the season they lost like their last six or seven games. I haven't seen anything from Fran like this season before. Losing close games is sometimes gonna happen, teams get snakebit yadda, yadda, but bad D, bad O, indifferent players, and lack of hustle. There has to be some bad juju somewhere on this team. Maybe older players being passed up for younger, discontent, I don't know. I just can't think of a reason this team is so inept. There's a lot of laughing and giggling going on on the bench which is fine if your winning, just looks out of place when you're losing at home by 15. Losing Williams (which was strange for a player to transfer with tons of playing time available) might have been the first symptom.
I remember a team with Les Jepson, probably the most unathletic big man ever at Iowa, beat a good Michigan team on guts alone. Fran is not getting Max effort from these guys.

Makes you wonder if they like playing for him or each other? Or the reverse where is Fran's heart in all of this? Or is it simply just a case of inefficient recruiting that only further exposes the weaknesses in our schemes? Both?

Whatever it is he probably has the rest of this year and a 2 year clock to get it figured out (U of I time).

Again, I give him credit for the rebuild, but he has to rebuild his own mess now. And, he has a lot of holes to fill.

Makes you wonder if they like playing for him or each other? Or the reverse where is Fran's heart in all of this? Or is it simply just a case of inefficient recruiting that only further exposes the weaknesses in our schemes? Both?

Whatever it is he probably has the rest of this year and a 2 year clock to get it figured out (U of I time).

Again, I give him credit for the rebuild, but he has to rebuild his own mess now. And, he has a lot of holes to fill.

Fran put together an average team. That's not ideal, but it's going to happen from time to time. The problem is, this average team thought they were good. They lost some games and lost confidence. What we are seeing is an average team that is playing bad. I guess that's better than a bad team that's playing average. But it's not a good combination none the less.

Well it's not because he isn't bleep bleep bleep bleeping at them! I would think that would get old after awhile. Can't imagine what practice is like. There is definitely something internally wrong with this program.

Fran put together an average team. That's not ideal, but it's going to happen from time to time. The problem is, this average team thought they were good. They lost some games and lost confidence. What we are seeing is an average team that is playing bad. I guess that's better than a bad team that's playing average. But it's not a good combination none the less.

I kind of agree. Although, I think the sum of the parts on this team is greater than the whole. I think this is a below average team, but with some tweaking in scheme could play average.

I like that Fran alluded to in his presser they probably need longer offensive positions at this point because of their problems on defense. So that would be one tweak.

They do need to find an effective scheme on defense and run with it. I think a more active zone with hands up, more awareness and pressure, and working on blocking out around the basket may be the way to go. But, likely they will get beat if the other team is cooking from the perimeter.

Use a true full court press like Mr. Davis did after making your free throws. Yes, make your damn free throws so you can set your press. Use this as your primary option to get steals and more positions. If not, drop back into your zone and make them work for outside shots. Rebound and work to get a good shot in the half court.

Take a chance that not every Big Ten team is going to hot from the perimeter against you. :perhaps, we can get some wins this season in conference. Then go find yourself a point guard and a hefty and tall center.

The next time Kirk fields a team that is this weak, this non competitive, this soft... you should fire away at him. Iowa football is pretty much a factory that while may not compete for championships every season, it doesn't dip down and look this inept. The only comparison you can make with Fran and Kirk is that Fran is making Kirk look like a legend and a great coach in comparison.

Latest posts