Bowl Record Breakdown

ihawktx

I saw a stat on the post game interview about Kirk Ferentz's bowl record of 5-3. Not impressive until you look at each game.

The five wins were against the following coaches:

1. Nick Saban- after LSU won National Championship the previous year
2. Steve Spurrier- The "Old Ball Coach" got blown out.
3. Mike Leach- Red Raiders lost in "home game" at Alamodome
4. Paul Johnson- Triple Option Guru who could muster just over 100 yards total offense after averaging over 400 yds per game rest of year.
5. Ron Zook- Fired after this game. Gators hired Urban Meyer after that debacle.

The 3 losses:

1. Urban Meyer- Lost close game to the Gators who won National Championship the next year. Special thanks to Conference USA officials also.
2. Mack Brown- Lost close game to Texas in "home game" at Alamodome. Texas was National Champs the previous year.
3. Pete Carroll- Lost in Orange Bowl after Kirk's 3rd year at helm. USC won National Championship the next year.

Now the 5-3 record looks a lot better.

P.S. This does not include Kirk's 7-2 regular season record against another great coach- Joe Paterno.

I am sure glad he is on our side!!!

Except for the 2003 Orange Bowl the two losses have been by 2 and 7 points. Competitive.

Iowa could have won these two games. Recall in the Florida game Iowa attempted an on side kick late and Iowa recovered but an official incorrectly ruled Iowa off side. The on side was replayed but Florida recovered the second one and killed the clock to win by 7.

In the Texas game an Iowa player was ruled in an incorrect position at the snap and the play that produced a touchdown. The penalty negated the TD. The ruling was questionable at best. Texas later intercepted a pass in the endzone on the same drive and went on to score just before half and that changed momentum. Texas ended up winning by 2.

I agree about those 2 sorry losses. I wanted to show how KF has coached against some pretty good coaches (maybe Ron Zook is the question mark) in bowl games. We have also faced some very stiff competition with teams that have won or been in National Championship games in these bowl games. Jo Pa was just for fun.....

I'd actually say a 5-3 bowl record IS VERY impressive. A 5-3 conference record isn't that big of deal, but typically in a bowl you're going to be playing a good team - so anything over 50% is really pretty good. Especially when you throw in that we are consistently getting bumped up the bowl ladder because of 2 B10 BCS teams and/or our rabid fans, and the bowl opponent is almost always closer to home than us.

I saw a stat on the post game interview about Kirk Ferentz's bowl record of 5-3. Not impressive until you look at each game.

WTF.jpg

Texas, Florida and USC are three programs that among the most talent laden in the nation year in and year out. No shame in losing there.

Latest posts