Bowen Helping out in Practices

jsmhawk

I heard Matt and Miller discussing Ryan Bowen's role as video coordinator a couple days ago and I was a little annoyed. They were talking about how this hire was no big deal and the insignificance of his duties as video coordinator. I Completely disagree! Sure he can't recruit high school kids, but don't you think he will be a huge asset in practice to work with the post players??

There is no rule that I have heard of that says the video coordinator can't work out and assist in practice! It will also be very valuable to have Ryan Bowen reviewing game film and breaking down tape with the current players. The guy has 10 years of NBA experience.
I think Bowen will be used a ton by Fran, and for as much as possible up to the limit of the NCAA rules. He is so much more than just a minimum wage video coordinator like Matt and Miller were suggesting.

Matt Perault needs to wake up. Bowen will be a great asset to the post players and will teach them all kinds of tricks and pointers to help them in their development. If Bowen is NOT allowed to assist in practice then by all means, set me straight.

I heard Matt and Miller discussing Ryan Bowen's role as video coordinator a couple days ago and I was a little annoyed. They were talking about how this hire was no big deal and the insignificance of his duties as video coordinator. I Completely disagree! Sure he can't recruit high school kids, but don't you think he will be a huge asset in practice to work with the post players??

There is no rule that I have heard of that says the video coordinator can't work out and assist in practice! It will also be very valuable to have Ryan Bowen reviewing game film and breaking down tape with the current players. The guy has 10 years of NBA experience.
I think Bowen will be used a ton by Fran, and for as much as possible up to the limit of the NCAA rules. He is so much more than just a minimum wage video coordinator like Matt and Miller were suggesting.

Matt Perault needs to wake up. Bowen will be a great asset to the post players and will teach them all kinds of tricks and pointers to help them in their development. If Bowen is NOT allowed to assist in practice then by all means, set me straight.

If Fran is looking at not hiring a GA then I would think that Bowen has to be able to help in practices...

This is a big hire for a couple of different reasons. 1) People loved Bowen and his work ethic, it gives a great image to the Iowa fans as to what Fran is trying to do. 2) Bowen has serious experience and there is no doubt that he has learned some things from the great coaches that he was under.
ALSO- lets hope we don't get to the point where we have to start having our coaches practice for good competition anymore. I seriously hope those days are coming to an end. BUT if he had to I am sure he could.

This is a big hire for a couple of different reasons. 1) People loved Bowen and his work ethic, it gives a great image to the Iowa fans as to what Fran is trying to do. 2) Bowen has serious experience and there is no doubt that he has learned some things from the great coaches that he was under.
ALSO- lets hope we don't get to the point where we have to start having our coaches practice for good competition anymore. I seriously hope those days are coming to an end. BUT if he had to I am sure he could.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about him working one on one with the post players and helping them with footwork and various moves and technique. I did not mean for scrimmage and competition angle. Although...I am sure he is still a handfull for any of our current big men. No offense Cougs, Archie, Brommer, Cole, etc.

ALSO- lets hope we don't get to the point where we have to start having our coaches practice for good competition anymore. I seriously hope those days are coming to an end. BUT if he had to I am sure he could.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about him working one on one with the post players and helping them with footwork and various moves and technique. I did not mean for scrimmage and competition angle. Although...I am sure he is still a handfull for any of our current big men. No offense Cougs, Archie, Brommer, Cole, etc.

Hey, I will take Ryan Bowen practicing for good competition.. But I 100% agree with what your saying.

This is from the Ft. Madison paper and it provides a little info - although I'm still not sure if he can participate in practices or not...

New Iowa basketball coach Fran McCaffery has hired Bowen, who lives in Burlington, as the Hawkeyes’ Video coordinator and administrative assisant.

“It's an extension of the coaching staff,” said Bowen, who also said he was glad to be back at his alma mater.

Bowen made it clear that he won’t be “just sitting in the video room all day.” He’ll also get to interact with the players. Although there are some things other assistants can do that he can’t, Bowen still sees this as a good inroad to his future plans.

“You run (the “film”) through the computer and code it all. Then you break it down. I’m in the process of learning that system among other things," Bowen said. “You can track 3-point shots, steals, rebounds ….”

When the season draws closer, he’ll spend more time getting scouting reports ready for the Hawks.

“I’m just excited to be there, to get my feet wet,” Bowen, the son of Joe and Alice Bowen, said.

Speaking of the video coordinator job - Michigan State has a VC, an assistant VC, 13 managers, and an NBA quality $500,000 XOS video scouting system. Yikes.

Thanks for the info! It sounds like he Cannot be on the court once official practice starts. I still think he will be a great asset and I still love the hire. Before and after practice and preseason and offseason workouts with players??? Player development in offseason?? I am sure we will learn more later on.

No problem! I got that impression as well about practice, but it almost sounded like he was somewhat unsure of what exactly the parameters are within his job. Either way, excellent hire!

Why wouldn't he hire a GA?

Maybe Fran want a guy at GA that's been with the team more recently. If he sits on it this year, Cole could be that guy for 2 years. He's an English major, what do you do with that degree outside of teaching? :rolleyes: Just taking a stab here.

Speaking of the video coordinator job - Michigan State has a VC, an assistant VC, 13 managers, and an NBA quality $500,000 XOS video scouting system. Yikes.

VC don't make jack.. the 2 at MSU probably make 30K combined... Bowen pry makes around 23....

Don't worry about those guys...They never saw him play... Ryan Bowen personifies iowa basketball. Perrault doesn't understand the whole Tom Davis legacy thing. He doesn't have the knowledge about the history of the Iowa program under Tom Davis. Bowen was about Raef LaFrentz's age, he was very unheralded, but he had a longer NBA career than LaFrentz.

I heard an interview on ESPN about Izzo and his video set ups. He said it is the most important component of his coaching staff. Everything happens out of that position, scouting reports, player tendencies, player evaluations, and on and on. So I for one flush everything Perrault says about Iowa...Ryan is a huge hire for Fran.

Bowen will make 32k

As a fully vested ten year NBA guy, doesn't the NBA pension kick in immediately?...that was about 50k /yr.

And I suspect he has at least 5 million in the bank from his earnings as a pro...he will do fine in Iowa City on that kind of income for the next few years.

I heard an interview on ESPN about Izzo and his video set ups. He said it is the most important component of his coaching staff. Everything happens out of that position, scouting reports, player tendencies, player evaluations, and on and on. So I for one flush everything Perrault says about Iowa...Ryan is a huge hire for Fran.

I think it is a very important position. You have to know what you are looking at,and break it down into digestable parts for players.

Bowen played in the NBA, they have this perfected to a science.
Battier was a teammate, and he took it to a new level in application of info of all tendancies of guys he guarded like Kobe on to the hardwood.
I remember reading about how he knew exactly where he wanted to push kobe on the floor and where kobe wanted to push him,and he anticipated very well...everyone has spots they shoot well from..and he would not allow those shots.

Latest posts