Booze Possession Charges Overblown

troy

Media outlets love to hype any arrest of a student-athlete, even if it's underage drinking. That charge is not really newsworthy, in my opinion. I would like to know what percentage of college students participate in underage drinking. 80%? Are we really surprised that some Notre Dame student-athletes were attending a college party where booze was consumed? Shocking! I guess this is the age of "anything is news."

I wish they would keep the underage alcohol violations out of the news, it really isn't newsworthy. It happens a lot. I also wish they wouldn't count alcohol violations as an "arrest/citation" like they do in the paper as well. If 6 kids get a PAULA or in a bar under 21 violation its not a big deal, and it certainty is disingenuous to report there has been a "string on incidents" when you are talking about this kind of violation.

Binge drinking is part of the college experience and isn't newsworthy but the media will sensationalize everything they can. As far as the mainstream media is concerned, bad news is good for business and so they will put a negative spin on things.

binge drinking/underage consumption in and of itself is not "newsworthy". however, scholarship athletes having run ins with the law is. when you are directly representing a university and getting a free education out of the deal, the rules are different.

I'm guessing a lot of you just hate seeing Iowa athletes in the paper every other weekend?

Latest posts