Bold Prediction for Next Year

DunderMifflinHk

Peter Jok breaks into the starting lineup by the start of the Big 10 season. We need his scoring ability.

PG - Gessel - Clemmons
SG - Jok - Oglesby - Marble/Clemmons/Ingram
SF - Marble - White/Uthoff
PF - White - Basabe/McCabe - Uthoff/Meyer
C - Woodbury - McCabe/Basabe - Meyer

Redshirt - Oleseni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yrqYlmETBk

I don't see how you can keep Jok out of the starting lineup. Dude didn't miss once in that video. :)

I think if you're right and he is starting by mid season, we will be no worse then a 4 seed. That is as long as he is starting for a reason other then injuries.

If he is starting that means he is even better than I expect him to be...I thought he would start as a soph. I think uthoff could start at the 3 and move white to the 4.

1) gesell, clemmons, ingram
2) marble, jok, ogelsby, gesell, ingram
3) uthoff, marble, white, jok
4) white, basabe, mccabe, uthoff
5) woodbury, meyer, basabe, mccabe

Redshirt - olaseni

I really think ingram should redshirt at some point.

I think it will be tough to put basabe on the bench but he does bring a lot off the bench and him and jok off the bench together could give the 2nd group the scoring punch we need. Or if jok starts then uthoff and basabe could provide that punch. Lots of possibilities. I still believe the best grouping will be jok's soph season.

At the very least I expect Jok to get the ball in late game situations as he is a 93% free throw shooter and had a streak of something like 60 straight makes this year. As for starting or not it is hard to tell what kind of defense he will be ready to play next year. Offensively he will be as good as anyone we currently have on the roster.

I just think the bar is being set so high for this kid. I almost feel bad for him. We have fans that expect him to be as good of an offensive player as Aaron White or Dev Marble. He will be one of the better shooters, but don't set this guy up for failure.

My gut says that Ingram will transfer at the end of the year. I have nothing to base this on, just a hunch. If you look at what the Hawks lose (May) and what is coming in (Uthoff/Jok), there will be little playing time for him next year and down the road. If he's serious about a career in basketball, I just don't see Iowa as a part of it.

Now .. Two questions regarding red shirts only because I don't know enough about the process. Can Iowa red shirt two players in the same season? (i.e., Olaseni and Ingram next year.) If we DO red shirt someone, does that open up a scholarship? Like I said, I'm just curious because I don't know the rules. Thanx!!

GO HAWKS!!!

I think you can redshirt as many as you'd like, but redshirting plays count towards the scholarship limit.

With the nature of college ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see a transfer. Not that I know anything, I'm certainly not trying to start a rumor. But looking at the landscape of transfers and the dearth of minutes to go around next year.

I think you can redshirt as many as you'd like, but redshirting plays count towards the scholarship limit.

With the nature of college ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see a transfer. Not that I know anything, I'm certainly not trying to start a rumor. But looking at the landscape of transfers and the dearth of minutes to go around next year.
Thanx for the info on red shirting. That was my hunch and I figured they would count as you can always pull the RS and then you're over the limit.

As for transferring, that's what I was getting at. I just threw Ingram's name out there because he appears to be the most logical.

GO HAWKS!!!

Its not right to expect JOK to be scoring everytime he has ball next fall? He'll be facing taller defenders and quicker than high school

At the very least I expect Jok to get the ball in late game situations as he is a 93% free throw shooter and had a streak of something like 60 straight makes this year. As for starting or not it is hard to tell what kind of defense he will be ready to play next year. Offensively he will be as good as anyone we currently have on the roster.

Never seen the kid play to be totally honest. Just curious how you're not sure what to expect out of him defensively at the DI level, but offensively you're convinced he be as good as anyone we have? I undestand that he's definitely talented, but I don't think there are many players that enter DI ball in the BigTen that can be considered game tested and ready for that level before they step foot on campus.

While there are players that make instant impact on the game as freshman, they are few and far between. Not saying he won't be "that guy" or can't be, but I haven't seen enough of him on tape to label him as good or better offensively then anybody that we currently have on our roster. His high school potential is being compared to guys that are game tested at the DI level as well as the BigTen and I simply don't think it's fair to make that assessment based on what he's done against kids at the high school level.

If we have multiple guys that need to red shirt, then McCaffrey is a lost cause. No up side to keeping Ingram (if he stays) and Olaseni any longer than we have to. It's not like either will be a key piece when Basabe, McCabe and Marble graduate. Neither has any offensive skills and that is what this team desperately needs. At this point I would take Niang at ISU over any of the 5 freshman.

At this point I would take Niang at ISU over any of the 5 freshman.

Incorrectly- not over gessel or Woodbury even though niangsvnumbers may be better than wiidburys at this point (not sure, saying even if they are). Woody has a huge upside, that will call for many crow dishes served cold in the near future.

There's a difference b/n HS and the B1G. That said, we would have won 1.5 - 2 more games this year w/ Jok having the ball in his hands at crunch time. He's bigger physically than I thought.

Don't forget about the need for depth, specific to a position, i.e., point guard. We have been pretty fortunate this year with regard to injuries. Look at what has happened to some other BT teams. Fran will have the same issue next year...a lot of good players who deserve minutes. He has, IMHO, done a good job of keeping everyone happy this year. Red shirt Gabe...good idea. You still have McCabe, Woodbury, Basabe, and Uthoff who can play the 5. You lose two of those guys after next year, so keep Gabe. You could certainly red shirt Ingram as well. Next year you still have Gesell, Clemmons, and Marble. The following year you would have Gesell, Clemmons, Ingram. I definitely would want three point guards around. Now, you guys make a good point on using up scholarships with redshirts. I guess I would wait and see what happens with near future recruiting successes before any big decisions are made in that area. Wow. This sure is fun. I think Jok and Uthoff will be HUGE additions to this program.

I hope so but it's a big step to from hs to having the ball in crunch time as a frosh. I did it as a sophomore (had the ball for the last shot) but that's hs. That role in college as a frosh, another big step. Woodsy isn't there yet and he was a top 30 player.

Ted I think Olasni would really bennifit from a RS year. I think he has a lot of upside.
If we have multiple guys that need to red shirt, then McCaffrey is a lost cause. No up side to keeping Ingram (if he stays) and Olaseni any longer than we have to. It's not like either will be a key piece when Basabe, McCabe and Marble graduate. Neither has any offensive skills and that is what this team desperately needs. At this point I would take Niang at ISU over any of the 5 freshman.

Redshirt NOBODY. Olaseni isn't going to all of a sudden figure out how to play fundamental basketball while taking a year away from playing the game - he still gets to practice but its not the same.

He will never become a dominant player on any high level D1 program but is a nice change of pace and minute filler when fouls pile up. Having Woody, Olaseni and Meyer vying for minutes next year isn't a bad thing. All three bring different types of skills to the floor and depth is never a bad thing.

If you redshirt Olaseni we then will have 2 centers (woody and Olaseni) in the same class and another C in the following class. Not good for recruiting imo.

Next year the Iowa program needs to make the NCAA tournament. Pull all the stops. Build for the future by playing in the NCAA tournament not by redshirting players that will likely not contribute huge minutes in the future.

Latest posts