Boise State gets charged with LOIC

There's a major violation in women's tennis, plus the following:

The majority of allegations involve impermissible housing, transportation or meals, where an incoming student-athlete was provided a place to sleep (often on a couch or floor), a car ride or was provided free food by an existing student-athlete.

In football, the NCAA determined that total dollar value over five years was $4,934 for all of the housing, transportation and meals provided to 63 incoming student-athletes. All services ranged from $2.34 to a maximum of $417.55 and have been reimbursed by the student-athletes. In tennis and track and field, the NCAA determined that 16 student-athletes had received extra benefits over the five years equaling a $718 value. Other small dollar excess benefits are also alleged in the notice. All these funds were reimbursed as well and all were donated to charity.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees. If Ohio State doesn't get major penalties for their shenanigans, the NCAA will lose whatever thread of credibility it still has. $4,934 wouldn't even buy one of Terelle Prior's Big Ten championship rings.

I understand the need to try and enforce the rules, but this is ridiculous.

Add up 5 years of Boise infractions and the NCAA probably spent 10x that on their investigation.

Boise is probably "below average" in terms of infractions and probably deserves a medal for restraint.

I'm sure the BCS honks are trying to figure out a way to get a football postseason ban placed on Boise out of this to keep them from being BCS busters

I wonder how they calculated the monetary value of sleeping on someones floor?

I don't know the answer to this, but in a previous consulting job that I had, if I knew someone in the city that I was travelling to, I could stay with them and my company would give me $50/day to spend on whatever my host wanted. Since i was usually there for 4-5 days, I bought game consoles, booze, iPods, etc. for my hosts, and they loved it.

Now that costs have gone up, maybe it's $75/day for sleeping on someone's floor? :)

There's a major violation in women's tennis, plus the following:

The majority of allegations involve impermissible housing, transportation or meals, where an incoming student-athlete was provided a place to sleep (often on a couch or floor), a car ride or was provided free food by an existing student-athlete.

In football, the NCAA determined that total dollar value over five years was $4,934 for all of the housing, transportation and meals provided to 63 incoming student-athletes. All services ranged from $2.34 to a maximum of $417.55 and have been reimbursed by the student-athletes. In tennis and track and field, the NCAA determined that 16 student-athletes had received extra benefits over the five years equaling a $718 value. Other small dollar excess benefits are also alleged in the notice. All these funds were reimbursed as well and all were donated to charity.

Is there a single program in all of NCAA DI, DII or DIII where this hasn't happened? Literally one?

Latest posts