Bohnenkamp: Iowa-Duke Takeaways

Card carrying Iowa Mason's union shop known as Hawkeyes put on a brick laying exhibition. Bricks laid from inside, outside, bunny's, layups, open 3's.....there was no place, no situation where these skilled tradesmen couldn't lay a brick with the utmost consistency. I do not remember such a game, although I know it has happened. Every man contributed, it was a team brick laying effort that cannot be ignored.

Duke was given a wonderful gift, they just had to let us shoot, the more we shot, the more we got behind. With middle of the road shooting this could have been a win, with good shooting a certainty of a win. I am not so worried, that is unless brick laying becomes a season long phenomenon.

Your take is good. I am surprised our coaching staff hasnt built around our weaknesses. When you play small and shoot poorly, the only way to compete is to create more opportunities with defense. That means more and more transition points.( in an aggresive transition game you can also nuturalize some disadvantages if you get a good 3 point shooting team running) Now to be honest, I personally think Fran has always done a great job coaching the 3/4 press and using it to our advantage, but this year you go with it harder yet and even full court man using combos of the four athetes chasing... bowen uhlis PS and perkins . and murray still sharing point with patrick on the zone press combos.... Adjustments are needed moving forward including more PT for Bowen and less shooting from 3 for PS, he still provides some energy in other areas. There is no way we can magically become good shooters albeit we will be better in carver...our comfort zone. I'd like to see what kind of coaching Fran uses moving forward and on league road games where the shooting failures are magnified.

Card carrying Iowa Mason's union shop known as Hawkeyes put on a brick laying exhibition. Bricks laid from inside, outside, bunny's, layups, open 3's.....there was no place, no situation where these skilled tradesmen couldn't lay a brick with the utmost consistency. I do not remember such a game, although I know it has happened. Every man contributed, it was a team brick laying effort that cannot be ignored.

Duke was given a wonderful gift, they just had to let us shoot, the more we shot, the more we got behind. With middle of the road shooting this could have been a win, with good shooting a certainty of a win. I am not so worried, that is unless brick laying becomes a season long phenomenon.
yeah, did not expect Iowa to be this bad of a shooting team. I expected the next step for Sandfort as I think everyone did. At worst, no one expected a complete regression. He shot close 40% last yet...he's fucking 8 for 36 so far this season. Even Connor has never shot that bad. Josh Ogelsby thinks that sort of shooting stinks. It's that bad.

Maybe they laid the bricks over the top of the basket. That thing had a lid on it. Ugh.

Latest posts