Biggest win in last 50 years?

PJHawk

I'd say this was. Hlas put Dolph and Eddie on the spot last night with that post game question and both seemed reluctant to answer.

Every win is significant and acts as a building block for greater things to come. This win would not have been possible without beating any of the 10 teams Iowa won against this past season.

I think the Orange Bowl win is a break through event such that the victory adds another accomplishment to the list Iowa has compiled over the years.

I think the win is another step forward to the ultimate accomplishment and that is a national title. There are two things Iowa has not yet done and that is get to the national title game and win it. Iowa just got a little closer to that goal last night.

I truly believe the biggest win in the last 20 years (at least) was October 7, 2000 when the Hawks beat MSU 21-16. That game ended the long Ferentz losing streak, was his first win in a Big Ten game, and started the turn around after the coaching change.

If the Hawks don't get that win I don't think they beat PSU or NW later in the year and I believe that Ferentz is not the head man in IC today.

Craig

When Dolph & Ed were asked that last night, the thoughts running through my head were probably much the same as theirs... that's a tough question. Perhaps.

As far as national perception - yes, this may be considered Iowa's biggest win since 1959.

However, as mentioned above - we, as fans, see ALL the wins that have brought us to this particular moment in time and understand the significance of MANY wins in the larger picture. Some you knew the significance of on the spot; others not until viewed in retrospect.

Hopefully we can keep the momentum rolling and advance to the next level; because, while winning the BCS Orange bowl is certainly a big win, there are two much bigger wins to accomplish. A Rose Bowl victory would clearly be the biggest win since 1959, and an outright National Championship is the most you can ask for.

I, for one, would like to see these two goals accomplished before I leave this place.

Unquestionable.First BCS type win since 1959 makes this win on a bigger stage than a Cap One or an Outback Bowl win.

It was a nice win in a nice bowl game but I still think the Big House Beat Down was a bigger win for the program.

I would agree big win for national reputauiton in a BCS game and it is a step that Iowa needed too take and will continue to grow and play for a National Championship in the next 5 years, and will follow it up next year with another BCS berth Go Hawks only 240 days till EIU comes to Kinnick stadium great season and lets build on this.

Unquestionable.First BCS type win since 1959 makes this win on a bigger stage than a Cap One or an Outback Bowl win.

This. When you have that stage to yourself for one night in front of a national audience as the last game before the NC game, it is HUGE!!!

People all over the country that are just football fans watched that game last night. None of the games mentioned above had their own stage like this Orange Bowl did!

Also consider the Tate to Holloway Capital One Game. Yes it's not as prestigious a bowl game as the Orange but....

We beat a high powered LSU team that competed for national titles before and after and we won in spectacular fasion. That last play has been shown over and over and over again on ESPN. I guarantee you that game "exposed" more people to Iowa football than the Orange Bowl game last night.