Biggest Key against AZ

Saginawbay

What is your biggest key for Hawks on Saturday.

1. Turnovers cannot turn the ball over and give up field position or a score with the def going too be tough driving 80 yards on the Hawks.

If Iowa executes and does not turn the ball over we will be looking at a easy Iowa win of 21-24 if we commit some turnovers a little closer like 21-17 either way Iowa is wins.

With the talent and experience we have lets just not beat ourselves.

1. Turnovers cannot turn the ball over and give up field position or a score with the def going too be tough driving 80 yards on the Hawks.

If Iowa executes and does not turn the ball over we will be looking at a easy Iowa win of 21-24 if we commit some turnovers a little closer like 21-17 either way Iowa is wins.

Turnovers are a given, no team can expect to win if they keep turning the ball over. Other than the obvious (turnovers) I would say pressure on Foles will be key. He isnt very mobile and if you can get pressure with the front 4 and you should be able to, it will be a very long day for AZ.

The Linebackers.

Arizona throws a lot of quick underneath passes in areas where Iowa's Linebackers work. Tarp and crew need to be on it and prevent any type of YAC. With Arizona's receivers if they break the first tackle they could be gone.

Defense will be the key. I believe in each game against ranked opponents the key will be Iowa's D. If they play lights out, Iowa wins. If they don't, Iowa falls.

Iowa has dominated two teams with iffy-at-best defenses so far this season. The key will be holding top teams in check when the offense is not able to dominate....and I am still a bit unsure Iowa can dominate on offense with consistency.

Set the tone early. If we get the ball first we need to establish the run like we did against the Clowns. I see a TD on play action to Reisner! If we go on D first 3 and out will be the key. We have to score first!

Turnovers are a given, no team can expect to win if they keep turning the ball over. Other than the obvious (turnovers) I would say pressure on Foles will be key. He isnt very mobile and if you can get pressure with the front 4 and you should be able to, it will be a very long day for AZ.

this. the key to the game will be pressuring their QB.

Last year they scored 17 point on us. 7 was a pick-6. Another 7 was a late in the game score that was at a point in the game where the score was meaningless. I know Foles wasn't their QB during this game but it does show that our D is more that capable of controlling their O.

Without a doubt, the key is the running game. Everything good that happens with Iowa is predicated off the success of the running game. It controls time-of-possession, it makes play-action that much more effective, it allows us to impose our will on the opponent, and it takes the crowd out of the game. The question is whether or not our untested Oline can have success against Arizona's front 7. We don't know that yet. But if they can and if we can rush for 150+ yards, then we win going away.

The biggest key against AZ is preparation. The Hawks should be going out there expecting a tough fight and be ready for anything.

Without a doubt, the key is the running game. Everything good that happens with Iowa is predicated off the success of the running game. It controls time-of-possession, it makes play-action that much more effective, it allows us to impose our will on the opponent, and it takes the crowd out of the game. The question is whether or not our untested Oline can have success against Arizona's front 7. We don't know that yet. But if they can and if we can rush for 150+ yards, then we win going away.

Agree with everything, except, AZ's front 7 on D is as untested as Iowa's O-Line. Frankly, from what I've seen of both this year, I think our O-Line will push them around like crazy.

The Linebackers.

Agree.

I think that one of the reasons that we fair poorly vs Northwestern is because we have difficulty defending the dink and dunk passing.

AZ is going to be like NW on steroids. I dont know what Norm has up his sleeve, but we cant let AZ control the ball for 35 min like NW did last year.

Rawkhawk is correct about the running game. The best possible thing we can do for our defense is keep Foles and the AZ offense off of the field. We all know what happens when an accurate passer in a spread offense can do to Norm's defense, but if Iowa can control the LOS and dominate TOP, then Foles will be SOL.

To me the key is tackling. Our corners and LBers have to be sure tacklers because Arizona is going to push things to the edge, via both the run and pass. We have to be able to contain that and not let them get into space.

The pressure on Foles is not a big key, imo, because they throw the ball so quickly, it will be very difficult to put pressure on him. Certainly pressure on the few plays where they do look to throw downfield (especially if they are in 3rd and long) will be big, but I think the key is to not allow Arizona's skill players to get a clean run off the edges.

Exactly. Just saw a stat that said Arizona is 15-1 when holding opponents to 120 yards or less under Stoops. 3-9 when over 120. Iowa NEEDS to run the ball effectively to win. And I think we will Robinson is such a hard runner, he won't go down and he'll bust a couple of good size runs. Hampton adds another nice option in the backfield. I think Iowa approaches 200 yards on the ground and tries to control the clock, and gets the hard fought W.

The Linebackers.

Agree.

I think that one of the reasons that we fair poorly vs Northwestern is because we have difficulty defending the dink and dunk passing.

AZ is going to be like NW on steroids. I dont know what Norm has up his sleeve, but we cant let AZ control the ball for 35 min like NW did last year.

I don't necessarily agree. I think we do fine defensively against UN. The problem has been that we haven't been able to solve their defense.

In 2005 we had the horrible celebrate before the win game in Evanston in which the Hawks gave up the late 14 points. But, since then UN hasn't even averaged 20 points per game. Really can't put these losses on the D.

The reason they controlled the ball for 35 minutes, is because our O couldn't control the ball at all.

Latest posts