Big Ten Icons-who you got for the Top 5?

Nile Kinnick (Duh!)
Bob Sanders (Bob Sanders is the only guy who could beat Chuck Norris' asss!)
Chris Kingsbury (need I say more?)
Jess Settles (longest Big Ten career of all-time!)
Matt Roth/Pat Angerer (these two tie for a spot in the top due to their straight badassness!!!)

Nile Kinnick (Duh!)
Bob Sanders (Bob Sanders is the only guy who could beat Chuck Norris' asss!)
Chris Kingsbury (need I say more?)
Jess Settles (longest Big Ten career of all-time!)
Matt Roth/Pat Angerer (these two tie for a spot in the top due to their straight badassness!!!)

nice

In no particular order:

Magic
Red Grange
Jesse Owens
Archie Griffin
John Wooden

I like the first four, but not Wooden. He is a Pac 10 icon much more than a Big 10 icon. I think rule number 1 of Big 10 icons has to be, "If the general public strongly associates them with a school that isn't in the Big 10, they're out of the mix for the top spots." I honestly think that Iowa will have two top ten guys in Nile Kinnick and Dan Gable. One of them may be in the top 5.

Don't count out Gerald Ford.

Are they just doing student-athletes? If that's the case, will Gable be on the list? That's the reason I left him off my list. Still, it's hard to think of a Big Ten icon without including coaches.

Are they just doing student-athletes? If that's the case, will Gable be on the list? That's the reason I left him off my list. Still, it's hard to think of a Big Ten icon without including coaches.

Correct. If I am interpreting it correctly, coaches are not on the list.

Kinnick may make top 5. (#1 in my book :) )

In addition to winning Heisman playing both offense and defense, he punted (led the nation), returned kicks and kicked FGs. PLUS, he led the Iowa basketball team in scoring as a Soph which was 15th in B10 AND played baseball, dropping that after Soph yr.

Gable starred as a wrestler at Iowa State not Iowa, unfortunately. He was 181-1 in college losing only his last match. Won an Olympic Gold medal in German and did not give up a single pt.

As coach at Iowa, won 9 straight NCAA Titles (15 in his 21 yrs as coach) and 21 straight B10 Titles. Coaching record was 355-21-5.

Having Steve Alford ahead of Jack Nicklaus pretty much ruins any credibility with this list...

The list has nothing to do with what they did professionally.....it was only their accomplishments while they were a student athlete. As much as I dislike Alford, I actually think he was a little low here.

The list has nothing to do with what they did professionally.....it was only their accomplishments while they were a student athlete. As much as I dislike Alford, I actually think he was a little low here.

Didn't Nicklaus win a couple of US Am's, a couple of National titles, and place in PGA Tournaments while at OSU? I think that dwarfs anything Alford did.

Latest posts