Big Ten Icons: Who from Iowa?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The Big Ten Network’s new series Big Ten Icons is coming in September. The top 50 icons in conference history, based on their collegiate playing careers, will be profiled.

Some former Iowa players will be named as icons...I think Long is likely, but there will be others...you have a chance to tell them what you think, too. Visit their facebook page www.facebook.com/bigtenicons

You can also learn more about the upcoming series that will appear on the BTN, and have a chance to win a bobblehead set of the icons, and other prizes...good stuff

Last edited:
It's still pretty fresh but how about Shon Greene.

He was really good, but what the heck makes him a top 50 icon??? the Big Ten has produced lots of good running backs. Many are more iconic than Greene. And don't bring up Tim Dwight either. he is a god for Hawkeye fans, not for Big Ten fans.

For Iowa, Chuck Long, Brands, Lester (oh if the knee hadn't given out) and the way back with Nile Kinnick make sense.

If coaches were an option Hayden, Gable and C Viv should get consideration too.

Last edited:
Nile Kinnick's likeness is the "heads" of the coin tossed before every Big Ten game. He's a well-deserved lock.

The top 50 icons in conference history, based on their collegiate playing careers, will be profiled.

There won't be coaches on this list folks, as the sentence above from the original post indicates.

That being said, here are my 5 predictions:

Nile Kinnick (only Heisman winner)
Chuck Long (Heisman runner-up/holder of tons of records)
Roy Marble (all-time leading scorer)
Ed Banach (first 3-time champ; all-time pin leader)
Cindy Haugejorde (there will be a woman; all-time leading scorer & rebounder)

The Big Ten Network’s new series Big Ten Icons is coming in September. The top 50 icons in conference history, based on their collegiate playing careers, will be profiled.

Some former Iowa players will be named as icons...I think Long is likely, but there will be others...you have a chance to tell them what you think, too. Visit their facebook page www.facebook.com/bigtenicons

You can also learn more about the upcoming series that will appear on the BTN, and have a chance to win a bobblehead set of the icons, and other prizes...good stuff

Gable would probably make it if this were the Big 12/8...but it sounds like coaches don't count so neither Gable nor Fry will be considered.

The top 50 icons in conference history, based on their collegiate playing careers, will be profiled.

There won't be coaches on this list folks, as the sentence above from the original post indicates.

That being said, here are my 5 predictions:

Nile Kinnick (only Heisman winner)
Chuck Long (Heisman runner-up/holder of tons of records)
Roy Marble (all-time leading scorer)
Ed Banach (first 3-time champ; all-time pin leader)
Cindy Haugejorde (there will be a woman; all-time leading scorer & rebounder)

This list, plus you could also make a case for...

Aubrey Devine
Cal Jones
Alex Karras
Randy Duncan
Andre Tippett
Reggie Roby
Larry Station
Tim Dwight
Robert Gallery
Tom Brands
Barry Davis
Lincoln McIlravy
Jim Zalesky
Joe Williams
Murray Wier
Chuck Darling
"Downtown" Freddie Brown
Ronnie Lester

Obviously not all these guys will be on the list, but you could make a case for any one of them based on their colligiate careers at Iowa.

Say you give Iowa 4 or 5 icons.....

Nile
Coach Forest
Gable
maybe Long

I you are going to throw coaches into the mix what about Howard Jones?

Undefeated throughout 1921 and 1922, Big Ten Champions both years, National Champions by some accounts, and forced to decline Rose Bowl invitations because the Big Ten did not allow its members to play post-season games at the time.

I you are going to throw coaches into the mix what about Howard Jones?

Undefeated throughout 1921 and 1922, Big Ten Champions both years, National Champions by some accounts, and forced to decline Rose Bowl invitations because the Big Ten did not allow its members to play post-season games at the time.

Again, this is not an award for coaches...they are not a part of this. It's players only.

Maybe Ed Podolak. I don't remember how much of an impact he had while playing for Iowa as I was too young, but I do know he had a good career with the KC Chiefs.