Big Ten Icons- #18. Nicklaus #17. Alford

stevie wonder will remain immortal in the minds of lhoosiers everywhere

Oddly enough, if I were starting an all-time, all Big 10 team, alfraud wouldn't even appear on my roster.

stevie wonder will remain immortal in the minds of lhoosiers everywhere

Oddly enough, if I were starting an all-time, all Big 10 team, alfraud wouldn't even appear on my roster.

He would be on mine. Absolutely a lights-out shooter. He would be my John Paxson/Steve Kerr type player.

He would be on mine. Absolutely a lights-out shooter. He would be my John Paxson/Steve Kerr type player.

all time all big10, though?
Not me. I'll take Magic.
Sh!t, there are half a dozen guards I can think of that I'd take before hair-hat.
But whatever, jumper. That's what makes message boards amusing, I guess.

FYI, John Paxson played @ noter lame and steve kerr played @ arizona. I mean, I get what you were trying to do, but next time, pick Big 10 athletes for comparison, ok?

Alford was a 2x Big Ten player of the year and led his team to a national title. He was an Olympic Gold Medalist while in college (granted he may not have been on the team if not for his coach). He was an incredible collegiate athlete. I think he definitely deserves to be rated as high as he is as an "Icon."

Also, I have to compare him to players from outside the Big Ten for the sake of an All-Time team argument. If I were comparing him to someone from the conference, I would put that player (or in this case, shooting ace) ahead of Alford. There isn't anyone, so I had to look outside the conference for examples.

Alford was a 2x Big Ten player of the year and led his team to a national title. He was an Olympic Gold Medalist while in college (granted he may not have been on the team if not for his coach). He was an incredible collegiate athlete. I think he definitely deserves to be rated as high as he is as an "Icon."

Also, I have to compare him to players from outside the Big Ten for the sake of an All-Time team argument. If I were comparing him to someone from the conference, I would put that player (or in this case, shooting ace) ahead of Alford. There isn't anyone, so I had to look outside the conference for examples.
Do you consider Glen Rice a shooting guard (ace)? If so, he's ahead of Alford in my book.

Latest posts