Big Ten Bowl records

PJHawk

Saw this on Rivals, if the numbers are correct it's pretty impressive for Iowa:

BigTen Bowl records during last 10 seasons:

Iowa: 6-3
Ohio State: 5-4 (Sugar bowl still to be played)
Penn State: 4-3
Wisconsin: 4-5
Minnesota: 3-4
Michigan: 2-6
MSU: 1-5
Illinois: 1-2
Purdue: 1-4
Indiana: 0-1
Northwestern: 0-5

Saw this on Rivals, if the numbers are correct it's pretty impressive:

BigTen Bowl records during last 10 seasons:

Iowa: 6-3
Ohio State: 5-4 (Sugar bowl still to be played)
Penn State: 4-3
Wisconsin: 4-5
Minnesota: 3-4
Michigan: 2-6
MSU: 1-5
Illinois: 1-2
Purdue: 1-4
Indiana: 0-1
Northwestern: 0-5

27-42

wow. I knew it wasnt great, but I did not think it was that bad!

The Big 10 is and has been trending in the wrong direction for a good 15-20 years now.

Big 10 Football:
1 BCS Championship
3 BCS Championship appearances
Ohio State only representative

SEC Football:
6 BCS Championships
4 Straight BCS Championships
5 Straight BCS Championship appearances
7 BCS Championship appearances
5 different representatives (Florida, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn)

Big 12 Football
2 BCS Championships
7 BCS Championship appearances

3 different BCS representatives (Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska)

Source: BCS National Championship Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big 10 Basketball
1 National Champions in the last 20 years

ACC Basketball
8 National Champions in last 20 years

SEC Basketball
5 National Champions in last 20 years

Big East Basketball
3 National Champions in last 20 years

Pac 10 Basketball
2 National Champions in last 20 years

Source: List of NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is what I think about the bowl matchups and how much different things could have been. If you flip-flop 4 teams we are talking about a banner bowl season for the Big 10. Here is what I mean. If you flip PSU and Michigan in their matchups. PSU matched up better with Mississippi St. than Michigan ever could have. MSU had a very good offense throughout the entire year, but PSU's strength was it's defense for the most part. I would call this an even game for the most part. Michigan would have matched up so much better with Florida. Florida's offense was suspect most of the season, and when matched against Michigan's bad defense, it would have been a wash. I would have given Michigan the edge in offense in this game, and we are not looking at Michigan getting beat by 38. Both Michigan and PSU were 7-5 teams, so the matchups easily could have been flipped here. I would say the big 10 comes out os this at 1-1.

Now if you flip Michigan State and Wisconsin we are looking at the same thing. I think Wisky matched up better with the traditional offense of Alabama, and it would have been a true slugfest. I probably would have given the advantage to Wisconsin here. MSU against TCU would have been pretty interesting too. MSU's biggest problem was there inability to run the ball. I think they would have done OK against TCU. Again, we are talking about flipping 2 teams with identical records. I would say the conference splits this scenario too. So 2-3 on New Years day would have been so much better than 0-5 and none of the national media would say a word about the 3 losses simply because I don't think any of the 3 losses would have been big blowouts like the 2 games involving the state of Michigan. Anyone agree?

Wedomn8,
I think the Michigan State loses either way. Wisconsin would have given Alabama a much better game than MSU would have, but still Alabama wins that game.
Michigan, their defense is so bad, I don't see them winning against Florida. That leaves Penn State they would have give Miss St a better game than Michigan did, but I don't believe they would have won that game either. Northwestern worth mentioning really suffered from Persa's injury. A healthy Persa and Nortwestern beats Tech by 14 at least.
As it is 2-5 and a potential 2-6 is really bad no matter how you slice it.

Latest posts