Big Ten Bowl Landscape right now

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Here is how I see it based on how I project the Big Ten to go the next four weeks:

ROSE: Wisconsin (11-1/7-1) will win out Co-Big Ten Champs
SUGAR: Iowa (10-2/7-1) will win out Co-Big Ten Champs
CAP ONE: Ohio State (10-2/6-2) will lose at Iowa
OUTBACK: Penn State (8-4/5-3) I felt before year it was a 7-5 team with a 9-3 schedule.
GATOR: Michigan State (10-2/6-2) will lose at Penn State
INSIGHT: Illinois (9-3/6-2) will win out
TEXAS: Michigan (6-6/2-6) lone win vs Purdue, Rich Rod doesn’t coach bowl game (fired)
DALLAS: Northwestern (6-6/2-6) will lose out

NOTE: I think the SEC will get two BCS bids and the non-AQ schools like the Utah-TCU winner and Boise could be ranked in the final Top Four, which means two non-AQ teams would get at large bids. The Big 12 will not get two in my opinion, nor will the Big East or ACC. The Pac 10 champ will be an undefeated Oregon, playing for the national title. While another Pac 10 team could be in the mix for a BCS at large selection, the Sugar has the first at large BCS pick. If it loses the SEC champion to the national title game, it would have either the first or second replacement pick, plus the first at large pick. This is key, because the Sugar will not take a Stanford over an available at large Big Ten team due to the travel distance and traditional fan base travel reputation. This is why the Big Ten hold such a strong hand in these situations and why it has had two teams in the BCS for 9 of the 12 years of the process.

I think the I think Iowa will get the second BCS nod over Ohio State because they will have beaten them two weeks prior to the BCS bids going out and Iowa has never played in the Sugar, which will be a tantalizing pick for that bowl to get their hands on the dollars that Iowa fans spend by traveling in droves. While some could argue that 10-2 records might be a disappointment for a large segment of both fan bases, most OSU fans were thinking national title this year. MSU is not a factor in BCS at large consideration due to poor traveling fan base. At present, I see Iowa vs the loser of the Alabama-Auburn game, provided the winner of that game beats the SEC East Champion in the SEC title game.

Last edited:
I don't see Penn State winning out, they are not that good, even with a favorable remaining schedule. I called for them to lose to NW in my preseason predictions, so I'll call for that mild upset next weekend.

Also, you got something wrong with your predictions Jon because for Penn State to go 9-3 they would have to win @ Ohio State. I'm guessing you meant to show 8-4; 5-3 with their lone remaining loss to OSU. I also like for them to beat MSU at home.

And soley on a hunch, I'm gonna take Michigan over Illinois next weekend. On paper Illinois should win this one, but Michigan is overdue for a good performance.

I unfortunately agree with you that Wisconsin will go 11-1 and get the Rose Bowl. Unless Michigan pulls out their best performance of the Rich Rod era, they cannot stop Wisconsin's offense.

I don't see Penn State winning out, they are not that good, even with a favorable remaining schedule. I called for them to lose to NW in my preseason predictions, so I'll call for that mild upset next weekend.

Also, you got something wrong with your predictions Jon because for Penn State to go 9-3 they would have to win @ Ohio State. I'm guessing you meant to show 8-4; 5-3 with their lone remaining loss to OSU. I also like for them to beat MSU at home.

And soley on a hunch, I'm gonna take Michigan over Illinois next weekend. On paper Illinois should win this one, but Michigan is overdue for a good performance.

I unfortunately agree with you that Wisconsin will go 11-1 and get the Rose Bowl. Unless Michigan pulls out their best performance of the Rich Rod era, they cannot stop Wisconsin's offense.

That's not a bad upset pick...Michigan has a great offense and no D and Illinois has a good D and not much offense...should be an interesting game to see which program has a leg up on the other in trying to get back to the upper division in the conference from opposite directions.

Good catch on the Psu overall prediction. Unless there is a two-win clause in the Gator contract, I still think they take PSU

Last edited:

That is what I'm hoping. Based on what I saw against Penn. ST. last night, Jon is right RichRod is probably done. ISU v. Michigan in the Dallas football classic......O-coordinator coaches bowl game.

If Nebraska wins out except for the Big Twelve title game, I fear they would be a more attractive at-large pick then us (tradition, travel, TV ratings, etc).

If it comes down to us vs. Nebraska for a BCS at-large spot, the rivalry will be sparked a year early.

I have never wanted Jon to be so correct so much in my life. I would be extemely happy with this prediction.

Last edited:
Here is how I see it based on how I project the Big Ten to go the next four weeks:

ROSE: Wisconsin (11-1/7-1) will win out Co-Big Ten Champs
SUGAR: Iowa (10-2/7-1) will win out Co-Big Ten Champs
CAP ONE: Ohio State (10-2/6-2) will lose at Iowa
OUTBACK: Penn State (8-4/5-3) I felt before year it was a 7-5 team with a 9-3 schedule.
GATOR: Michigan State (10-2/6-2) will lose at Penn State
INSIGHT: Illinois (9-3/6-2) will win out
TEXAS: Michigan (6-6/2-6) lone win vs Purdue, Rich Rod doesn’t coach bowl game (fired)
DALLAS: Northwestern (6-6/2-6) will lose out

NOTE: I think the SEC will get two BCS bids and the non-AQ schools like the Utah-TCU winner and Boise could be ranked in the final Top Four, which means two non-AQ teams would get at large bids. The Big 12 will not get two in my opinion, nor will the Big East or ACC. The Pac 10 champ will be an undefeated Oregon, playing for the national title. While another Pac 10 team could be in the mix for a BCS at large selection, the Sugar has the first at large BCS pick. If it loses the SEC champion to the national title game, it would have either the first or second replacement pick, plus the first at large pick. This is key, because the Sugar will not take a Stanford over an available at large Big Ten team due to the travel distance and traditional fan base travel reputation. This is why the Big Ten hold such a strong hand in these situations and why it has had two teams in the BCS for 9 of the 12 years of the process.

I think the I think Iowa will get the second BCS nod over Ohio State because they will have beaten them two weeks prior to the BCS bids going out and Iowa has never played in the Sugar, which will be a tantalizing pick for that bowl to get their hands on the dollars that Iowa fans spend by traveling in droves. While some could argue that 10-2 records might be a disappointment for a large segment of both fan bases, most OSU fans were thinking national title this year. MSU is not a factor in BCS at large consideration due to poor traveling fan base. At present, I see Iowa vs the loser of the Alabama-Auburn game, provided the winner of that game beats the SEC East Champion in the SEC title game.

Come on Jon, thats quite a 'homer's' view of how things will play out. Once in a while try to be somewhat fair/realistic.

If Nebraska wins out except for the Big Twelve title game, I fear they would be a more attractive at-large pick then us (tradition, travel, TV ratings, etc).

If it comes down to us vs. Nebraska for a BCS at-large spot, the rivalry will be sparked a year early.

OR if Nebraska wins the Big 12, and Iowa gets selected to the Fiesta Bowl(assuming we win out). How sweet would that be!?

I like the prediction, but HawkeyeNation will be emotionally drained watching the MSU v PSU game. If MSU wins then no chance of Iowa in a BCS Bowl (Wisconsin would be ranked at least top 6 and likely top 4 guaranteeing them a BCS Bowl game).

I like the prediction, but HawkeyeNation will be emotionally drained watching the MSU v PSU game. If MSU wins then no chance of Iowa in a BCS Bowl (Wisconsin would be ranked at least top 6 and likely top 4 guaranteeing them a BCS Bowl game).

True, but the win for Penn St last night was exactly the boost they needed. No question they now feel they can win big games at home. I'd put my money on Penn St at home against just about any big ten team at this point.

Do we have a shot at the Orange Bowl again as an at-large?

I would love to go back to Miami...only this time, you know, have it be warm, rather than THE COLDEST ORANGE BOWL EVER lol.

I could get down with Nawlins though and the Sugar Bowl.

How can we be co champs with them beating us head to head? Did you have them loseing again? I should have looked before I posted maybe.

they could be co-champs at 7-1 each. But the rose would go to Wisky because of head to head meeting. But both teams would get trophys saying big ten champs.

It's going to be MSU in the Rose, Wisky in the at-large and Iowa in the Capital One.

MSU has a cakewalk of a schedule, and I don't see them losing to Purdue, Minnesota, or PSU. It's possible, after yesterday's game, but not likely.

Wisconsin actually has a couple roadblocks, but I think they'll make it past Purdue, Indiana, Michigan and Northwestern.

Iowa has two should-wins against Indiana and Minnesota (both on the road), but has always troublesome Northwestern on the road and a tough to gauge tOSU at home.

Assuming these three teams all win out, then we'll get left out of the BCS.

It's going to be MSU in the Rose, Wisky in the at-large and Iowa in the Capital One.

MSU has a cakewalk of a schedule, and I don't see them losing to Purdue, Minnesota, or PSU. It's possible, after yesterday's game, but not likely.

Wisconsin actually has a couple roadblocks, but I think they'll make it past Purdue, Indiana, Michigan and Northwestern.

Iowa has two should-wins against Indiana and Minnesota (both on the road), but has always troublesome Northwestern on the road and a tough to gauge tOSU at home.

Assuming these three teams all win out, then we'll get left out of the BCS.

It does seem like the wisky loss will haunt us(fans) the rest of the year.

Come on Jon, thats quite a 'homer's' view of how things will play out. Once in a while try to be somewhat fair/realistic.

I know, I am the only one...wait, Deace has BSC at large too...and we all know he is a HUGE Hawk fan

LINK

In fact, our entire Big Ten bowl predictions are identical. But alas, I am a homer and am unrealistic.

And OH SNAP! Those biased scumbags from cbssports.com have Iowa in the Sugar Bowl too, against Auburn...sounds familiar, right?

LINK

Latest posts