Big 10 adding a team/Champ game

Whats everyones thoughts on if the Big 10 should add a team and a Championship game. Who would it be? How would they split the league up? Ferentz said on Dan Patrick that he would want a round robin and play all 10 teams rather than adding another team.

Championships games are just money grabs. They don't really do much for the fans, outside of the occasional blockbuster game. Look at the Big XII title game, it is usually the best team vs. the 4th best team.

If you are interested in determining a league champ, round robin is the way to do it. It will also spare us from crappy non-con games.

I think it's a good idea. It's tough with the Big-10 ending its season so early. The conference championships give teams a chance to keep a high profile going into the BCS selection.

I don't think a Big 10 Championship helps.

Lets look at last year's scheudle and assume we have a Big 10 Chamionship Game.
Say Iowa goes undefeated as does OSU. Without a Big 10 Championship it is highly likely both teams get into a BCS bowl.

Assume we play the Championship game and lose to OSU. DO you think Iowa gets a BCS bid? Probably not.

For me a Championship game only hurts the Big 10's chances of getting two teams into BCS games.

There's a pretty good thread seach tool at the top of the page, helps to use this before duplicating a thread thats been going on for several days now.

I have no problem with seeing another team added and a Champ game installed. The right team would have to fit the geographical scheme of things. My only concern would be the recruiting wars that would heat up. Especially if the team is someone like Rutgers.

Of the teams kicked around i like syracuse cuz of the history.

im deffinatly a fan of the round robin talk if we dont get a new team. just curious if we can play 9 big10 games and not have to add an extra game.

can help us get rid of those stupid non conference games after the big10 starts.

I'm pretty sure we can't have a confernce champoinship game unless we have a min of 12 teams in the conference which of course would require us to add another game.

As others here have mentioned playing a true round robin would be a much better solution. The real concern of not having a championship game is our season ends so early.

If we shortented the pre big ten season to 2 games we could play everyone in conference (10 big 10 games per team) and have a true champion. If done properly the conference would be able to schedule bye weeks during the big 10 season and most teams would build in some buys in september. Starting the big season in late September would allow us to finish in the first week of December (allowing for one bye week). Playing into early December solves the "out of sight out of mind problem" without adding an additional team and adding a novelty "championship game".

Just don't go to two divisions. Let the two best teams play for the championship. Just look at the Big 12 and how bad the matchups have been the last few years. Actually, it has always been the North vs. the South, the balance has never been very good.

Horrible idea either way. Big10 having 12 teams... what would be called? Tremendous Twelve (mmm now I'm hungry for Perkins... not really)?

I am in favor of eliminating OOC games and playing all conference opponents throught the year. Add 2 more conference games and have 2 OOC games, we can keep ISU each year and schedule a cupcake and than hit B10 season....

I am in favor of eliminating OOC games and playing all conference opponents throught the year. Add 2 more conference games and have 2 OOC games, we can keep ISU each year and schedule a cupcake and than hit B10 season....

Isn't ISU considered a "cupcake"? (Bah now I'm hungry for some kind of sweets again!)

At least with adding a team, the Big 10 won't be the laughing stock conference that doesn't know how to count

The next question would then be, what is the name of this new 12 team conference? Big 12 is taken. Big Midwest? Big North? The Center-North Conference (CNC)? Big Ten (11) and Notre Dame (BTND)? The Grand Ole Conference (GOC)? The marketing geniuses at the current Big Ten would have to come up with something good.

I am with Kirk, add a game, play all the teams. Load the schedule, put all the key matchups at the end of the season, you're not gonna hurt Indiana's feelings if they play NW, Purdue, and Illinois in Oct/Nov. Maybe schedule some neutral field matchups, Iowa vs Michigan State at Ford Field, Iowa vs NW at Soldier Field/Wrigely, Iowa vs Minny back in the dome (just so I can drink and be warm) etc.

I'm pretty sure we can't have a confernce champoinship game unless we have a min of 12 teams in the conference which of course would require us to add another game.

As others here have mentioned playing a true round robin would be a much better solution. The real concern of not having a championship game is our season ends so early.

If we shortented the pre big ten season to 2 games we could play everyone in conference (10 big 10 games per team) and have a true champion. If done properly the conference would be able to schedule bye weeks during the big 10 season and most teams would build in some buys in september. Starting the big season in late September would allow us to finish in the first week of December (allowing for one bye week). Playing into early December solves the "out of sight out of mind problem" without adding an additional team and adding a novelty "championship game".

DuffMan that is pretty much right on. I believe that is also pretty close to what KF was suggesting. Play the round robin, keep a bye week, end the season in early December so we don't deal with the out of sight out of mind. We could still keep the ISU game (which is not going away whether you like that or not).

Sign us up!!!

Whats everyones thoughts on if the Big 10 should add a team and a Championship game. Who would it be? How would they split the league up? Ferentz said on Dan Patrick that he would want a round robin and play all 10 teams rather than adding another team.

Personally, I'd kick Northwestern out, so it will truely be the Big Ten again. Divide the teams into two divisions, drop one non-conference game so all teams play each other every year. The top two teams from each division play for the confernece championship.

Have an East and a West. Iowa, Wisky, Minn., Michigan and Michgan State in one division. Purdue, Indiana, OSU, Illinois and Penn State in the other.

Again, all teams play each other every year just like the old days.