Bielema talking about SEC/B1G challenge.

g11

Saw this on ESPN, kind of an interesting idea. With how ridiculous the SEC's schedule has always been late in the year with these cup cakes, I'd love to see something like this, but I say lets take it a step further.

I really like the B1G/ACC challenge in BBall, I think it would be cool to implement this for all the p5's ooc schedules in football+bball.

B1G / Pac12 / Big12 / ACC / SEC - every conference plays every conference weeks 1 - 4.

Rotate them all as necessary, get all the conferences the same size, and duke it out.

Pretty easy to sync up bye weeks to keep everyone even. The only negative comes from smaller schools losing out on money from scheduling with us, but lets be honest.. If they can cost a team a shot at the playoff I think it's time to stop scheduling them.

HAHA, the fighting Bielema's got their azzes handed to them by Toledo and Texas Tech this year. Those SEC teams should just keep playing FCS schools.

HAHA, the fighting Bielema's got their azzes handed to them by Toledo and Texas Tech this year. Those SEC teams should just keep playing FCS schools.
This.

The other idea is never going to happen.

Programs are going to want to schedule as sure-thing Ws (above post duly noted) and 2/3 or 3/3 of those at home.

Gotta love the SEC. Instead of apologizing for their traditional cupcake week designed to preserve their BCS rankings, they fantasize about playing the B1G.

So, this is pretty unrealistic for a lot of reasons. The first is the new 9 game schedule. If teams in the B1G want to keep 7 home and 5 road games, you can only schedule 1 non-conference road game every other year. If you have a non-conference rival (like Iowa), it you would have to give up a home gate.

Missouri. I doubt Iowa, Illinois, or Nebraska want anything to do with them for how crappy their ADs have treated these schools over the years. Never fun signing contracts with a program that likes to void them.

The CFB committee hates cupcakes and losses. Until they have guarantees for conference champs, non-conference play is going down. How much pain is Stanford taken for loosing to Northwestern? Would North Carolina be a top 10 team without a loss to South Carolina? People in Norman probably wish Texas never played Notre Dame. But they will reward you for beating middling AAC, Navey and Temple.

In the BCS era, we had 3-4 bowl games against the SEC. I think their flexible bowl design hid some teams from the B1G, but I figured that since there weren't too many regular season games against them, this was plenty fine.

If it could be home and home, sure. That's not going to happen, as the SEC refuses to play outside of the confederacy.

There were some talks about a home & home series between Tennessee @ Ohio St a few years back, but nothing never came of it. I think it would be awesome for both conferences to expand their territory during the regular season.

scheduling these on short notice would be tough. Plus it would be tough to schedule all 14 schools against each other.

But maybe they could set up mini-challenges each week where 3-4 schools from each conference play each other, scheduled years in advance.

week 2. BigTen-Big12. 3 schools each
week 3. BigTen-ACC. 4 schools each
week 4. BigTen-SEC 4 schools each
week 5 BigTen-PAC 3 schools each

Stiil, it would be hard to coordinate
I know this will never happen, but I believe it would be better for all P5 conferences to just go to 9 conference games and 2 ooc games against other P5 conferences or Notre Dame.

This way schools that neeed to play their instra-state rival each year can also play another P5 team each year and not feel like they have a scheduling disadvantage. yes this means they will only get 6 home games half the time but so would everybody else in the same division.

Last edited:
When the bottom line from the playoff committee is wins and losses I don't see the top teams in each conference voluntarily matching up, knowing that it could result in them being out of the hunt with an OOC loss.

Then there's always the issue of would the committee take a 2 loss team over an undefeated based on SOS.

November would be awesome. Can you imagine this weekend playing Florida at Kinnick, instead of Purdue ... With a major snow storm in the mix?

SEC won’t go for it. Bottom line. How many of them playnorth of the Mason Dixon line EVER? Let alone after the leaves have fallen?They won’t do it. They don’t travel much and as it sits they don’t think theyhave to. I like the idea but no chance they’d do it. So moving on…

SEC won’t go for it. Bottom line. How many of them playnorth of the Mason Dixon line EVER? Let alone after the leaves have fallen?They won’t do it. They don’t travel much and as it sits they don’t think theyhave to. I like the idea but no chance they’d do it. So moving on…

It's about putting the SEC in an unfavorable position. Imagine if the B1G, Big 12, and Pac 12 did a challenge every year. If the SEC is still scheduling cup cakes while this is happening the media would turn on them. I mean just looking at the B1G/ACC challenge in bball, the games are usually pretty hyped.

When the bottom line from the playoff committee is wins and losses I don't see the top teams in each conference voluntarily matching up, knowing that it could result in them being out of the hunt with an OOC loss.

Then there's always the issue of would the committee take a 2 loss team over an undefeated based on SOS.

I've always been annoyed with the strength of schedule system in CFB. Mainly because the other conferences rarely play each other to actually know which conference is good vs. bad. Last year the media LOVED the Big-12, yet the only worthy team turned out to be TCU. I think we all know what happens with the SEC..

I thought the B1G and PAC12 already discussed this but there were too many issues involved that made it unrealistic....perhaps I'm wrong

You are correct. A few years back, in order to try to counteract the overwhelming SEC hype, they got together and planned to implement an annual BIG/PAC12 challenge. It was an attempt to push up the strength of schedule for both conferences and grab some of the spotlight from the SEC. The plans fell apart pretty quickly though and nothing that I read made public the specific difficulties, only that the scheduling challenges proved too great.

Too bad. That would have been a great tradition.

Latest posts