Best Shot at the NC?

NeilDiamond

Is this the best shot Iowa has had at the NC since 1985? I was not really old enough to remember that team, but this team coming up looks pretty tough. You never want to say what if, but what if Bulaga, Dace and Amari had come back? Oh my, what a dominating line up that looks like. That being said, I believe that the Hawks have enough fire power and most of all stopping power on defense to run the table. The most important trait for this team is that most of these guys have been through the jungle that is the schedule this past year and know just what it takes to win each game. If they can put it together and get to that 1 game situation, anything can happen. Not saying it will, just saying they have a chance that passes the laugh test and when was the last time anyone could say that?

In 2005 when Texas played USC for the title, i remember looking at the athletes on those teams and thinking that Iowa did not even touch those guys. I don't see that gap anymore. Not saying it will happen, but I do believe this team is in the conversation.

Even if we went 13-0 we wouldnt have played for a national title

And I'm still not sure that Vandenburg didn't give us the best chance to win at Columbus anyway. We would have gone in 10-0 had Stanzi not gotten hurt, but I think we still leave Columbus 10-1.

Is it football season yet?? Can't wait!

Anytime anywhere, never know if we have a shot until we play. This years team is going to be good, but the NC might still be out of reach. My goal is to play a bowl game after New Years. Whatever that takes, it means we are in the hunt and if a few teams slip up, we might just get the shot.

I would agree is Stanzi does not go down maybe last year. This will be the highest rank we have had coming into a season for sure. Let's just hope we perform up too the expectations.

I think at this point you're all smokin paote. We will be good...probably a New Year's Day game or BCS game again are within reach. Lots of questions on the O-Line and with Kenny O'Keefe's play calling we are just as likely to lose to UNI as we are to beat anyone on the schedule.

IA's going to have to be a dark horse candidate @ best. I believe Herby said exactly that in an article @ some point last fall.

So excited for football season- that being said... NC talk is way too premature, we have to take care of getting out of AZ in September and through the Big Ten!

I think at this point you're all smokin paote. We will be good...probably a New Year's Day game or BCS game again are within reach. Lots of questions on the O-Line and with Kenny O'Keefe's play calling we are just as likely to lose to UNI as we are to beat anyone on the schedule.

Here we go again, already with the O'Keefe bashing. Do you want to go on the record and be the first this year?

09 with Shonn Greene would have been our best shot. We've got the goods to do some damage next year, but I would be much more comfortable with some more experience in the OL.

O'Keefe needs to be bashed early and often. Can't believe people still defend guy.

I think O'Keefe is just fine. Do I agree with every call he makes? Absolutely not. But how many people aren't skeptical of at least a few calls every game, regardless of the coordinator? Do I think O'Keefe is too conservative at times? Sure I do. I'm just 20 years old, and it's always bugged me that we never try to get a quick score before halftime when given the opportunity. The one time I remember them trying to do that was against Northwestern in 2008. We called timeout before the punt, obviously so we would have time to mount a drive and get at least a field goal. Brodell proceeded to muff the punt, we lost possession, and Northwestern scored a TD before half, making what could have been at least a 20-3 lead at half just a 17-10 lead. That 14-point swing proved to be very costly in a game that we lost by 5.

But I would still prefer that we at least occassionally gamble in those situations. But on the average, I don't have a problem with our playcalling. We get agressive from time to time. But Ferentz is a conservative guy. So even if you somehow got rid of O'Keefe, Ferentz would just bring in an OC with the same style.

I think O'Keefe is just fine. Do I agree with every call he makes? Absolutely not. But how many people aren't skeptical of at least a few calls every game, regardless of the coordinator? Do I think O'Keefe is too conservative at times? Sure I do. I'm just 20 years old, and it's always bugged me that we never try to get a quick score before halftime when given the opportunity. The one time I remember them trying to do that was against Northwestern in 2008. We called timeout before the punt, obviously so we would have time to mount a drive and get at least a field goal. Brodell proceeded to muff the punt, we lost possession, and Northwestern scored a TD before half, making what could have been at least a 20-3 lead at half just a 17-10 lead. That 14-point swing proved to be very costly in a game that we lost by 5.

But I would still prefer that we at least occassionally gamble in those situations. But on the average, I don't have a problem with our playcalling. We get agressive from time to time. But Ferentz is a conservative guy. So even if you somehow got rid of O'Keefe, Ferentz would just bring in an OC with the same style.

Our offense consistently ranks at the bottom of the big ten regardless of the players in the system.

Latest posts