Best places to tailgate in Iowa City

hawkeye12345

Can somebody give a run-down on what the real story is re: tailgating in Iowa City.

Do they still allow tailgating in the lot at the stadium? Is there alcohol allowed?

If you don't have tickets but have a group of people that are looking at a game, what is the best way to get a tailgating spot? RV, buy/reserve a spot, etc.

Looking at a couple of options: NW (night game), Pitt and MSU.

why would we tell you our fave tailgating spots, Big D? we don't want you grabbing our little slices of paradise
or crashing our party

You can park and tailgate for FREE at Hancher.

Then you can get a FREE shuttle to and from Hancher on the Cambus.

Fills up about 2 hours before gametime.

Hancher lot is the place to go. Easy access from (and back) to the freeway, and there is a shuttle that takes you right to Kinnick.

Pfft. Waaaay too far from the action. Might as well tailgate at teh Rez.

Seriously though. Finkbine Golf and Finkbine Commuter are public lots for cars.Of if you want to take your chances just drive down Melrose from the West and pay some random dude to park in their yard...if you want to fork out the dough that is.

Pfft. Waaaay too far from the action. Might as well tailgate at teh Rez.

I don't know man, I had a blast there last year for MSU. Got there about 915, backed in, set up my table and Weber Q, and commenced to cook breakfast and consume drink.

Can't beat the price either.

Gold digger :D

Some say that.... :)

I hang with some people that let me. They are on the NW area of the stadium. Food, drink, couple tents, satellite TV, heater in the winter, chairs, the band walks by you going in and out of the stadium, the players...It's nice.

You can park and tailgate for FREE at Hancher.

Then you can get a FREE shuttle to and from Hancher on the Cambus.

Fills up about 2 hours before gametime.

Hell, I didn't know Hancher was free. I live in Parklawn just up the hill, so I usually do my own thing with a few friends in the lot right behind the building. But I had a couple friends from out of town in IC for the OSU game last year, and we went in that lot because we didn't want to pay to go to an official tailgating lot.

Might just have to move down the hill now.

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to drink you can do it anywhere, if you want to set up shop you can do it on top of the hill along Riverside and through the woods from the law building.

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to drink you can do it anywhere, if you want to set up shop you can do it on top of the hill along Riverside and through the woods from the law building.

That's the Myrtle Storage Lot, and it's restricted access this year, so your post is inaccurate. Nothing personal, bud.