Before I get bashed for doing this:

MikeDog70

First let me apologize up front to you all for "yet another Alford post" and also for letting my current boredom (no satellite until tomorrow!) take me over to *GASP* of all places, The Red Menace.

I just thought this was pretty amusing...they are now calling their basketball board.....ALFORDQUERQUE! bwahaha...I found it amusing. AlfordQuirky anyone?

Again, my sincerest apologies for my bored state of mind and mentioning the A word....

Alford and New Mexico is a good match.

I understand the Alford post will never probably go away. I'm bored today as well. So I will be honest, I never hated Alford like many of you. The bottomline he wasn't a good fit at Iowa. He was cocky and had an edge to him, so what!! I crossed Alford's path a couple times while he was at Iowa and don't have a bad thing to say of my interaction with him.

Lickliter on the other-hand. I will digress!!

Let's put it this way I would have rathered had Alford for another 3 years and then moved onto Fran. Lick was shall I say a much bigger TOOL in my book!!!

I always liked Steve Alford.

I used to go to his basketball camps as a kid and he was always very friendly and would take pictures with the campers and what not.

My encounters with both were the complete opposite of yours. Met Alford a couple of times and couldn't stand the guy. Struck me as very arrogant.

On the other hand, Lickliter was really easy to talk with. Could be that I'm friends with his neurologist here at the UIHC (his neurologist's name is public record from interviews in local media, so I'm not violating HIPAA). He seemed very uncomfortable though being the only game in town. I got the impression he really liked being at Butler because it was a bit of an after though to local media in Indianapolis.

Alford came in under-qualified and ill-prepared. When things started going south and he began to fill pressured, I think he wasn't sure how to deal with that. As it was something that he had never dealt with before. I think he learned from that experience like he learned that you need quality assistant coaches on your staff.

I actually talked to Alford quite a bit while he was at Iowa. Not once did I ever feel he was extraordinarily arrogant. But I like coaches to be a tad arrogant and cocky. Perhaps that's just not the Iowa way. Although I doubt there would have been much of an outcry about his attitude if he had been winning 25 games a season.

Latest posts