Beer & Tailgating

Should beer continue to be allowed on UI property on game days?

• Yes

Votes: 104 98.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Hawkfromnorwalk

I posted a poll like this over on TOS however I wanted to get peoples opinion from here as well. A lot of people are in the dark right now as to what Sally Mason and the other university reps are going to propose in regards to cleaning up the drinking on game days. The conversation got pretty heated on TOS from the anti-drinkers versus the drinkers. So the question is quite simple:

Should the university continue to allow drinking to the UI lots?

I personally hate drinking before games. I have far too much fun as is and have no desire to be intoxicated before/during Iowa games. I am fine with people being allowed to drink though, i would guess 90%+ of people do it without bothering anyone else.

My problem is with the few percent that are out of control. I hope that is what they aim this at. I am frankly tired of seeing people vomiting, screaming like idiots, passing out and going face first into the pavement.

If these high and mighty "do as I say" adminstrators are sooooo concerned about returning to the temperance movement, then I would advise them to add a covenant to ALL TV contracts pursuant to which U of I athletic events are televised prohibiting ABC/ESPN/BTN/CBS/FOX from advertising any alcoholic beverages during our telecasts. And then we should live with the consequences if that means we get a smaller pot of shared revenue, at least then, we will know that "the children" won't be exposed to ads suggesting those products are "cool." We should also seek a similar covenant for fast food, Tostitos (they contain a lot of fat) and Rotel (since they recommend mixing it with Velveeta). The school must protect everyone from everything that could possibly go wrong.

I personally hate drinking before games. I have far too much fun as is and have no desire to be intoxicated before/during Iowa games. I am fine with people being allowed to drink though, i would guess 90%+ of people do it without bothering anyone else.

My problem is with the few percent that are out of control. I hope that is what they aim this at. I am frankly tired of seeing people vomiting, screaming like idiots, passing out and going face first into the pavement.

For an 1100 game, how often do you actually see this? Unless an individual has a serious alcohol problem, I can't imagine someone who isn't a college student getting that drunk before noon on a Saturday.

But as far as Norwalks question goes, the UI obviously has final say as to what is and is not allowed on their property. If they decide to ban the consumption of alcohol, I'm not sure that anyone could do anything about it.

Last edited:

I personally love seeing all the things you mentioned above as i find it hilarious...

For an 1100 game, how often do you actually see this? Unless an individual has a serious alcohol problem, I can't imagine someone who isn't a college student getting that drunk before noon on a Saturday.QUOTE]

I agree with this. I rarely see anything that bad on 11:00 games. I could eventually see a curfew with alcohol on late games. Say all alcohol has to be off of university property by 4:00 or something. I wouldn't have much of a problem with that. Pretty decent compromise.

Drinking during tailgating is not going away nor will anyone names Sally Mason come even remotely close to shutting down drinking on UI lots.

We binge on our grilled animals, binge on our booze, and play our drinking games listening to music and smoozing around with the locals. We park our grand gas guzzling chariots side by side outside the massive coliseums. Our flags fly proud as we anticipate the battle of gladiators. It is a great way to get our minds off the previous stressful work week. Business owners might strike deal or two or they can entertain as this is the biggest event in the area for many of the smaller villages across the great nation. It's just another example of our Romanistic progression, but I'm not complaining cause the **** isn't going to hit the fan for a long, long time. We are still young in our Romanisitic progression I think.

Last edited:
For an 1100 game, how often do you actually see this? Unless an individual has a serious alcohol problem, I can't imagine someone who isn't a college student getting that drunk before noon on a Saturday.

But as far as Norwalks question goes, the UI obviously has final say as to what is and is not allowed on their property. If they decide to ban the consumption of alcohol, I'm not sure that anyone could do anything about it.

On this it's kind of a fuzzy area. Technically there isn't much anybody can do if they decided to ban alcohol on UI property but there is one thing, not open their wallets to pay for the parking. A majority of the people that donate to park in those lots are doing so for the privilege to tailgate. I think if they ban beer a lot of those tailgaters will look for private parking which will do two things. The U will lose out on money and private parking prices will skyrocket. Right now down near the stadium you pay upward of $50.00 to park on some of the private land. If alcohol gets banned more are going to want to park on private lots so those land owners will run the price up, probably doubling it. Then you have the people that park on private lots just to park, those people aren't going to want to pay $100.00 a game to park. I think it will really throw everything out of whack if the U decides to go that route.

I've been very vocal on the other site on this issue. But any drastic changes is pure foolishness. Yes there are some issues but I feel some people have a tendency to exaggerate how bad they really are. Yes I've seen some bad things from students and non students but not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I don't have a problem with drinking on U of I property, it they were to ban it, we would just find another place to partake, it's not going to change a thing, I'll walk a long ways to Kinnick if it means tailgating the Iowa way..

The worst I have ever seen drunkeness during an Iowa game was at Soldier Field, I saw some Iowa fans get booted for bad drunken behavior and I also saw a few passed out in the stands, no biggie, our group made fun of both. As for myself, I overindulged at the tailgate watched the first qtr in the Caddilac Club basking in the A\C, worked out great as I also got to see App. St. beat Michigan, had I not overindulged I would have missed it!

If these high and mighty "do as I say" adminstrators are sooooo concerned about returning to the temperance movement, then I would advise them to add a covenant to ALL TV contracts pursuant to which U of I athletic events are televised prohibiting ABC/ESPN/BTN/CBS/FOX from advertising any alcoholic beverages during our telecasts. And then we should live with the consequences if that means we get a smaller pot of shared revenue, at least then, we will know that "the children" won't be exposed to ads suggesting those products are "cool." We should also seek a similar covenant for fast food, Tostitos (they contain a lot of fat) and Rotel (since they recommend mixing it with Velveeta). The school must protect everyone from everything that could possibly go wrong.

Well said. There's a saying, "you can't have your cake and eat it, too".

I believe moderation is the key. Goes for tailgating, advertising, etc.

On this it's kind of a fuzzy area. Technically there isn't much anybody can do if they decided to ban alcohol on UI property but there is one thing, not open their wallets to pay for the parking. A majority of the people that donate to park in those lots are doing so for the privilege to tailgate. I think if they ban beer a lot of those tailgaters will look for private parking which will do two things. The U will lose out on money and private parking prices will skyrocket. Right now down near the stadium you pay upward of $50.00 to park on some of the private land. If alcohol gets banned more are going to want to park on private lots so those land owners will run the price up, probably doubling it. Then you have the people that park on private lots just to park, those people aren't going to want to pay $100.00 a game to park. I think it will really throw everything out of whack if the U decides to go that route.

That's very true. If Mason wanted to ban drinking on all UI lots, she would upset a lot of the heavy hitters who donate big bucks to the program and expect to be able do whatever they want. For the 2006 game against Purdue, I was lucky enough to know some folks that were partying right up against the press box, and some of the spreads down there were pretty impressive.

That's very true. If Mason wanted to ban drinking on all UI lots, she would upset a lot of the heavy hitters who donate big bucks to the program and expect to be able do whatever they want. For the 2006 game against Purdue, I was lucky enough to know some folks that were partying right up against the press box, and some of the spreads down there were pretty impressive.

I am lucky enough to have a friend who has Bruce Rastetter as a client so he tailgates in the shadow of the press box all the time. His setup is ridiculous. He sets up four tents and has everything catered in. I've seen the four giant troughs of beer he wheels in not too mention the igloos of bloody marys. So yeah, the U has a lot to lose by ticking those guys off.

Color me completely out of the loop. I moved out of state and have attended only one game at Kinnick since I left Iowa City in 1982. So I have no idea how bad the binge drinking among the students has become. Back in my day you could drink legally at 18 and we never had any of these kind of issues.

Not knowing much about the situation I would just say that the university had probably better tread carefully here. By law they have to do what they can to curtail the underage drinking but they need to think through the impact of whatever they propose. From my experience in the Navy the more you try to make alcohol forbidden among those underage the more you inadvertently glamorize drinking- exactly the opposite of the intended effect. In my early Navy years military under 21 could drink beer in the base clubs and that worked out great- it kept people on base and out of trouble. Then the Navy banned all alcohol sales to the under 21 sailors and we had an immediate huge spike in alcohol incidents that lasts to this day.

You may find a lesson in the path that the Navy has taken that applies to this situation. It doesn't seem unreasonable to crack down on the underage drinking and the worst of the drunken incidents. But the university had better go about it intelligently.

Last edited:
Why fire the choir when a couple of people are singing off key?

This is a knee-jerk reaction, poised to penalize the 99% for the actions of the 1%.

If the 1% act up, PUT THEM IN JAIL!

There will not be a ban on drinking on University property - for anyone 21 and over.

As is the case now. So there is no need to do anything differently.

My point was that they will be cracking down on underage drinking, not responsible drinking done by mature individuals. The powers-that-be are not about to bite the hand that feeds them.

Latest posts