Be ready for AZ gadget plays.

HawkKing81

I have a feeling that Stoops will have some gadget plays that he has been practicing all camp for this game. He tried a fake FG in last years game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do something tricky to try and get the crowd going. Perhaps a flea-flicker, a HB pass, fake punt, etc.

I have a feeling that Stoops will have some gadget plays that he has been practicing all camp for this game. He tried a fake FG in last years game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do something tricky to try and get the crowd going. Perhaps a flea-flicker, a HB pass, fake punt, etc.

Hook and Lateral? :mad:

"We have about as disciplined of a defense as there is in the nation...bring on the trick plays, Stoops"

EIU fake punt?

you guys are also mentioning games in which we won

unless they have enough gadget plays to run the whole game, one or 2 won't kill us

ALMOST. keep in mind, they didn't score on that play either

MSU scored either one or two plays after the H&L. Without the H&L, they wouldn't have found the endzone. Hard to dispute it gave Sparty a ton of momentum at the time.

i didn't say it didn't. but they still had to use a normal offense to get in the end zone. i attribute stopping them before the end zone to bend dont' break

Not to be a jerk, but it's "hook and ladder," not "hook and lateral". But I digress.

We played South Carolina in a bowl game two years ago. If there's anybody out there capable of running trick play after trick play successfully, it's the Head Ball Coach. But his offense did approximately nothing in that game. Trick plays work best against inexperienced and overly-aggressive defenses. We're neither. Tons of experience and we almost never blitz. They may try one or two, but I'd figure the yardage they gain from one would basically be lost by another.

Not to be a jerk, but it's "hook and ladder," not "hook and lateral". But I digress.

We played South Carolina in a bowl game two years ago. If there's anybody out there capable of running trick play after trick play successfully, it's the Head Ball Coach. But his offense did approximately nothing in that game. Trick plays work best against inexperienced and overly-aggressive defenses. We're neither. Tons of experience and we almost never blitz. They may try one or two, but I'd figure the yardage they gain from one would basically be lost by another.

Not so fast my friend! The play is a hook and lateral, but has morphed into sometimes being called hook and ladder.

Some folks think "hook and lateral" is a play. Wikipedia, below. hook and ladder is a fire truck OR a play.

The hook and lateral or hook and ladder is a trick play in American or Canadian football. It starts with the hook, which is where a wide receiver runs a predetermined distance, usually 10 yards down the field, and along the sideline, and "hooks in" towards the center of the field to receive a forward pass from the quarterback. Another offensive player (usually another wide receiver) times a run so that he is at full speed, just behind the player with the ball at the time of the catch. As the defenders close in on the stationary ball carrier, he laterals or hands the ball to the teammate running at full speed in the opposite direction of the original receiver.

Also from the Wikipedia entry:
On the January 2, 2007 broadcast of ESPN's Around the Horn, sportswriter Woody Paige claimed, perhaps facetiously, that the name "hook and ladder" originated with NYC Firemen Football Team in Hell's Kitchen, New York. This was in response to the other panelists ridiculing his use of "hook and ladder" rather than "hook and lateral." The next day, Jay Mariotti claimed the phrase "hook and ladder" referred to coal mining in Pennsylvania in the 1930s — his research claims that coal miners need a hook and ladder when trapped in a mine. Another possible explanation is that "hook and ladder" is just a corruption of the phrase "hook and lateral."

Sorry guys, I apologize. We ran that play in HS all four years, at least 3 or 4 times a year and I never heard it referred to as a "hook and lateral". I was always kinda curious where the name came from. My head coach in HS said it was a firefighter term, and that the ball represented a baby that needed rescue. The "hook" breaks through the window and scoops up the baby, then the firemen take the "ladder" all the way down to safety (the end zone).

Latest posts