BCS what needs to happen.

Hawkfan74

The pipe dream of a national championship is still weeks away. But there are things that can happen to help us along the way.

What Iowa needs from here on out.

Arizona, Penn State, and Wisconsin need to win out or each only suffer one or 2 more losses. If these happen, Iowa will stay strong in the computers and be able to hold off a 1-loss USC team.

Alabama or Florida will lose, that leaves Texas as the only real remaining team that Iowa needs to lose. They have looked beatable this year. Hopefully some big 12 team can step up and knock them off. Mizzou I am looking at you. If these things do happen, Iowa will be playing in Pasadena, just not for the Roses, but the crystal ball. Go Hawks.

I believe all it will take is Iowa winning out and PSU winning out (hate to say it but Iowa needs this)

Texas doesn't have to lose for Iowa to jump over them. Think voters will notice that Iowa plays a tougher schedule overall and that will favor Iowa in the end.

Iowa needs to win out obviously, but Texas definately needs to lose. I think USC needs to lose as well. Even with 1 loss, there is a chance for them. The big question is if Florida and Alabama would have a rematch for the National Title. It's going to get interesting down the stretch. Iowa just needs to continue to win and it will work itself out.

If Iowa wins every game, then I predict things will fall into place. There are a lot of games to be played and most undefeated teams will lose, and USC is likely to lose again.

If we lose once, we go to the Rose Bowl game, and that is pretty darned good.

If we lose twice, I predict message board meltdowns of epic proportions, followed by several posters being banned. I will probably avoid the boards and just go enjoy the Hawks playing in the Capital One Bowl again and reflect on another amazing season.

I believe all it will take is Iowa winning out and PSU winning out (hate to say it but Iowa needs this)

Texas doesn't have to lose for Iowa to jump over them. Think voters will notice that Iowa plays a tougher schedule overall and that will favor Iowa in the end.

Texas does need to lose.

Texas does need to lose.

I really don't think in the end. Sure it is debatable but Texas has a cake schedule compared to Iowa. No BCS school in their OOC schedule, no Bradford playing for Cotton Bowl, no Nebraska.

First Iowa would have to go undefeated, PSU would also need to win out for Iowa to jump Texas. Right now they won't but in the end, Iowa will have tons of respect for going undefeated for maybe the toughest road schedule in the country.

Texas needs to lose because barring something unforeseen, assuming they win out, they will be #2 in both polls after the SECCG. Even if we are #3 in both polls, our computer average is going to have to be significantly better than theirs to pass them up.

As impressively as we could possibly win these last few weeks, I'm not sure perception would allow us to jump Texas in the polls.

I read on Schlabach's column today that Iowa has the 9th toughest schedule in the nation.. that's gotta go for something. Also, if the ESPN Bowl Projections hold true, they'd have beaten 10 bowl teams, if they go undefeated. That's pretty salty. Really hard to keep 'em out then.

We're a little premature here. Norm Parker will give up too many points to a spread offense team and it will cost us the ball game. Norm gave up 16 to UNI and darn near cost us that game. I mean come on, how many FBS teams are going to give up 16 points to an FCS team?

But assuming the defense picks up the slack a little bit and we do go undefeated, we will not make the title game because the Big 12 and SEC officiating crews will ensure that their golden children are protected. Texas and Florida/Alabama will be undefeated and we will be out.

I asked this in another thread, what effect does beating a FCS school have in the computer rankinigs? Do they even factor it in? This could be the thing that I see hurts us in jumping some one like Texas. Essentially if it is not counted we are 11-0 or it does not have the same effect. Does anyone know?

I read on Schlabach's column today that Iowa has the 9th toughest schedule in the nation.. that's gotta go for something. Also, if the ESPN Bowl Projections hold true, they'd have beaten 10 bowl teams, if they go undefeated. That's pretty salty. Really hard to keep 'em out then.

It will count for more at the end of the season, not right now though. They'll review the base work for an undefeated Iowa and an undefeated Texas and realize Iowa was much tougher road.

Plus the BCS (computers) are already in love with Iowa. If Iowa is 3rd in human votes, Texas 2nd in human votes, computers will push Iowa to 2nd in the BCS rankings.

Latest posts