BCS Anchor Sites

TecmoSuperHawk

Very informative read here from Stewart Mandel of SI. Talks about the leader for the upcoming BCS changes is using bowl sites as semi finals with the site being determined based on who is #1 and #2 in the final rankings. If the #1 team is an SEC team who has a traditional tie to the Sugar Bowl, then the Sugar Bowl would host 1 semi. If the #2 team is a Big Ten team, then the Rose Bowl would host the other semi.

You can read the rest, but some good stuff here to think about.

Semifinal anchor bowl hosting currently leading BCS playoff option - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

If they don't do home games for the semi's I really think they should be within driving distance of the higher ranked team and think outdoor games up north shouldn't be thrown out the door.

Have cities bid to host semifinal games like they do for NCAA basketball, if a BT team is ranked 1st have them play the semifinal in the midwest not in F'ing California.

Frank the Tank put forth a similar site scenario, plus a good idea for how to determine the four playoff teams. He proposes taking teams ranked 1-3 automatically, regardless of whether they won their conference, then picking a fourth team as a wildcard which would take a conference champ ranked 5 or 6 if the # 4 team didn't win its conference. I've always been anti-playoff, but it seems like a good plan.

My (Hopefully) Final College Football Playoff Proposal: Four Team Bowl Event with a Flex Wild Card « FRANK THE TANK'S SLANT

8 teams

Each BCS game is quarter final

Have cities bid for semi

Have cities bid for final.

Start the games 2 weeks after the regular season ends.

Fortunately they won't go to 8 teams yet, but after the 4-team setup further waters down the tradition the college football, in ten years they'll go to that.

Frank the Tank put forth a similar site scenario, plus a good idea for how to determine the four playoff teams. He proposes taking teams ranked 1-3 automatically, regardless of whether they won their conference, then picking a fourth team as a wildcard which would take a conference champ ranked 5 or 6 if the # 4 team didn't win its conference. I've always been anti-playoff, but it seems like a good plan.

My (Hopefully) Final College Football Playoff Proposal: Four Team Bowl Event with a Flex Wild Card « FRANK THE TANK'S SLANT

This is the best system I have seen yet. As a Big Ten fan,it would have really produced acceptable semifinalists and still protected the Rose Bowl very nicely over the last decade. I really,really hope that the decision-makers consider this proposal even tho it is a bit complicated. The important thing is the outcomes it produces,and I think it does the best job of satisfying everyone.

I am resigned to the BCS bowls as semifinals as the only way to proceed.
Now, I do think that the other BCS bowls each year will take a hit,but that is going to be the nature of the playoff beast,no matter how you set it up.

Another part of the plan the BCS organizers are leaning towards is playing the BCS games (not just the semi finals but all BCS designated games) on Dec. 31, January 1 and January 2. It would make for a fun 3 days.

Imagine this:

Dec. 31
Capital One Bowl - 3:30 CT
Cotton Bowl - 7:30 CT

January 1
Orange Bowl - Noon CT
Rose Bowl - 4:00 CT
Fiesta Bowl - 7:30 CT

January 2
Sugar Bowl - 7:30 CT

Of course in this example I am assuming the Capital One and Cotton Bowl get elevated to BCS status, but it could be another bowl. I suppose you could still have an 11am or Noon game on 12/31 as well for some of the lesser bowls, i.e. Sun Bowl, to keep their New Year's Eve tradition.

I like the idea of the major bowls going back to being played on NYD. There is no reason the GoDaddy.com bowl needs to be played in the middle of January.

He makes excellent points why a selection committee should not be used, as well as why you cannot limit the playoff to conference champs only. I am in favor of just taking the top 4 no matter what. But his proposal is an intriguing one and something I could live with.

I don't like his proposal to mess with the seedings if the Big Ten Champ and Pac 12 Champ are both in the top 4. Let the higher seed play in the Rose Bowl and the lower seed play wherever they normally should. In other words always keep it #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3.

Another part of the plan the BCS organizers are leaning towards is playing the BCS games (not just the semi finals but all BCS designated games) on Dec. 31, January 1 and January 2. It would make for a fun 3 days.

Imagine this:

Dec. 31
Capital One Bowl - 3:30 CT
Cotton Bowl - 7:30 CT

January 1
Orange Bowl - Noon CT
Rose Bowl - 4:00 CT
Fiesta Bowl - 7:30 CT

January 2
Sugar Bowl - 7:30 CT

Of course in this example I am assuming the Capital One and Cotton Bowl get elevated to BCS status, but it could be another bowl. I suppose you could still have an 11am or Noon game on 12/31 as well for some of the lesser bowls, i.e. Sun Bowl, to keep their New Year's Eve tradition.

Cotton Bowl I would agree with. Capital One Bowl is an awful venue.

I don't like his proposal to mess with the seedings if the Big Ten Champ and Pac 12 Champ are both in the top 4. Let the higher seed play in the Rose Bowl and the lower seed play wherever they normally should. In other words always keep it #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3.

I don't really care one way or the other about that, and I think it's the one thing in his proposals that will never fly. If the powers-that-be are going to set up a seeded playoff, they're not going to allow the Rose Bowl to match-up 1/2 or 3/4 or 1/3 or 2/4.

I could accept this and it would keep the bowl system in tact. But I feel that you should have to win your conference to even be considered for this playoff. IMO Alabama should have never gotten to play for the National Championship since they did not win their conference. I know people will disagree with me but that is just how I feel. If they absolutely HAVE to go to a playoff system then I want to see the top 4 conference champs going at it head to head.

I could accept this and it would keep the bowl system in tact. But I feel that you should have to win your conference to even be considered for this playoff. IMO Alabama should have never gotten to play for the National Championship since they did not win their conference. I know people will disagree with me but that is just how I feel. If they absolutely HAVE to go to a playoff system then I want to see the top 4 conference champs going at it head to head.

What do you do for Notre Dame, BYU, Army or Navy then? That is why it will never be a requirement that all 4 are conference champs.

So people wont travel to a college one week and a champ game another, but two bowl games in a row?!?! Get real. Put it on college campuses for the semifinal!

So people wont travel to a college one week and a champ game another, but two bowl games in a row?!?! Get real. Put it on college campuses for the semifinal!

I hope campus sites for semi-finals wins out, but I bet it won't. However, if bowl sites are used for the semis, then the NC game better be bid out to neutral sites so northern cities like Indianapolis and others can host the game so Big Ten teams can finally play closer to home instead of the SEC's back yard all the time.

I like the idea of the major bowls going back to being played on NYD. There is no reason the GoDaddy.com bowl needs to be played in the middle of January.

Actually, Go Daddy is a game between conference champs. I think all games between conference champs should be played in January. It is the runner up bowls that need to be played earlier.

Actually, Go Daddy is a game between conference champs. I think all games between conference champs should be played in January. It is the runner up bowls that need to be played earlier.

Fine, but put them on NYD like the old days.

I would rather not see non-BCS conference championship teams in January, personally.

Latest posts