Basabe on the Block

DunderMifflinHk

I think we need to start getting Basabe on the block more often. It seems like he is getting the ball on the top of the key and on the wing a lot more and is taking a lot of jumpers. He's done a good job hitting open jumpers but he is most effected on the block with that jump hook and making quick moves to the basket. It seems like we haven't been able to get the ball to him down that much lately. What do you guys think?

Totally agree, he needs a lot more touches down low as do the rest of the bigs. Basabe is probably our best post weapon, the guards need to do a better job of feeding the posts when they get position

I think we need to start getting Basabe on the block more often. It seems like he is getting the ball on the top of the key and on the wing a lot more and is taking a lot of jumpers. He's done a good job hitting open jumpers but he is most effected on the block with that jump hook and making quick moves to the basket. It seems like we haven't been able to get the ball to him down that much lately. What do you guys think?

Especially when Woodbury is up high and can pass it into him and the opponents Center is away from the basket.

If Adam can develop that shot, it would be a great high-low game and there is going to be a point where they can change it up and have Mel high to shoot that jumper and Woodbury to rebound, or Mel pass into Adam.

Especially when Woodbury is up high and can pass it into him and the opponents Center is away from the basket.

If Adam can develop that shot, it would be a great high-low game and there is going to be a point where they can change it up and have Mel high to shoot that jumper and Woodbury to rebound, or Mel pass into Adam.

I've been thinking this as well. It seems like he has a ton of open looks on the free throw line and elbows but never looks to shoot. Either he is not supposed or has no confidence in that shot.

I've been thinking this as well. Throw a couple of plays to get him some touches in the block, especially when we are in a scoring drought or late in the game when we need a basket. We struggle with creating our own look.

Mel's development of his jumper has been huge. He is gonna have a huge year next year.... if he doesn't got pro

I think feeding the post is one thing this team collectively does not do well. They hesitate getting the ball inside, and then it closes up. Maybe it's a lack of trust getting the ball to the guy down low, but it's something I think they'll need to improve on for next year. Basabe could be a big beneficiary of that improvement.

It is all about matchups for Mel in the post. He does not do well against opponents bigger than he is. When Iowa is playing small with Mel at the 5, he is better served getting the ball in the high post or at the elbow and shooting the jumper. His post moves work much better against players his own size or smaller.

I like Fran but to often his teams don't look well taught.The whole team in general is not nearly deliberate enough at trying to feed the post.

The bigs don't get low and seal off and the guards are way to quick to give up and go back to their little handoff weave crap.

Fran should seriously consider asking Tom Davis how to teach post ups and entry feeds correctly.

We do seem to struggle getting the the ball into Mel. Since we can't shoot, it should be a priority to do so.

As for Adam developing a 15 footer, he probably should work on his 2 footer first.:eek:

Sure wouldn't hurt. It's a better option then forcing long tough jumpers late in the shot clock... He seems to be somewhat forgotten in the O. I'd love to see him get more touches and run some cutting action off of it with White or Marble screening for each other one going back door the other to the 3 pt line. Make D make a decision. The O has had too much standing and watching one guy dribble lately.

I like Fran but to often his teams don't look well taught.The whole team in general is not nearly deliberate enough at trying to feed the post.

The bigs don't get low and seal off and the guards are way to quick to give up and go back to their little handoff weave crap.

Fran should seriously consider asking Tom Davis how to teach post ups and entry feeds correctly.

I was thinking the same thing! Throw Tom Davis some dimes, have him come back and get yet another standing ovation from the Hawkeye crowd and show Fran his full court press (how to turn up the heat) and the entry feeds. I also loved how Mr. Davis always found a three point shooter during the recruiting process. Iowa really misses the "dagger" to get things opened up. Let's face it... Oglesby and McCabe are not daggers. Perhaps Jok?

Mel's development of his jumper has been huge. He is gonna have a huge year next year.... if he doesn't got pro

I have not heard that he was thinking of going to the NBA. I think that would be a mistake. Is he unhappy with his role at Iowa and doesn't want to transfer before his senior season?

Latest posts