Barta was so happy during the pregame interview

glidinghawk

Said he is pleased with the leadership of the athletic programs.

He's such a happy guy all the time.

Because he gets nice paychecks. Too bad he has no balls however.

He's a garbage AD and sucks at his job. Sure he can fundraise, but the state of Iowa athletics are in the crapper. Basketball and wrestling are the only saving graces and Barta screwed up his 1st hire for hoops.

His track record is horrible at Iowa with coaches and results.

Because he gets nice paychecks. Too bad he has no balls however.

He's a garbage AD and sucks at his job. Sure he can fundraise, but the state of Iowa athletics are in the crapper. Basketball and wrestling are the only saving graces and Barta screwed up his 1st hire for hoops.

His track record is horrible at Iowa with coaches and results.

You should count how many bad hires Bump Elliott had in football and basketball before you judge the current AD on his hiring track record. Bump (evidently, though I am not quite sure how the blame was laid) let Ralph Miller get away and hired at least one bad coach (maybe 2?) before he got Lute and then hired at least two if not three football coaches before Hayden.

i'm just saying. Most people think he was a great AD, but those were his high profile hires, along with Gable, obviously.

Sure he can fundraise

Everyone says that, but how good a fundraiser is he really? Better than some other guy who we could have hired, or could hire in the future? The athletic department is bringing in big bucks, so he looks good judging by the ledger, but a good portion of that is from the B1G TV contracts that are bigger than anything we've seen before. He doesn't even seem to be the kind of schmoozer that could pry open wallets of boosters the way someone else could not.

You should count how many bad hires Bump Elliott had in football and basketball before you judge the current AD on his hiring track record. Bump (evidently, though I am not quite sure how the blame was laid) let Ralph Miller get away and hired at least one bad coach (maybe 2?) before he got Lute and then hired at least two if not three football coaches before Hayden.

i'm just saying. Most people think he was a great AD, but those were his high profile hires, along with Gable, obviously.
AD's didn't make the money they do now even when you adjust for inflation. Things ended up being pretty successful as a whole under Elliott. 34 Big Ten Championships and 11 NCAA Titles. I don't know if Barta will ever see that type of success if he stays as long as Elliott did. Pretty sure Elliott knew that if he missed on the Fry hire he was gone and it worked and so did Gable and Mr. Davis. Same with Stringer and the baseball coach.

Anyone have a comparison of Big Ten Titles/NCAA Championships during the Barta era to contrast with the same time-frame Elliott was the AD? Barta started in August of 2006 so what were things like the first 7.5 years like under Elliott.

Everyone says that, but how good a fundraiser is he really? Better than some other guy who we could have hired, or could hire in the future? The athletic department is bringing in big bucks, so he looks good judging by the ledger, but a good portion of that is from the B1G TV contracts that are bigger than anything we've seen before. He doesn't even seem to be the kind of schmoozer that could pry open wallets of boosters the way someone else could not.

If I had more $millions than I knew what to do with and if Gary Barta asked me for money, I'd slap him. Now, if Dan Gable came to me, I'd give him $1 mil simply so that he wouldn't snap me in half.

It's embarrassing that we have fans that actually put championship numbers behind AD's on sports that don't bring in true $$$$'s to the athletic dept!! And yes I'm a wrestling fan but the fans don't donate for jack squat!! Football pays the bills folks!!!

I think he gets credit for fundraising because of the Kinnick and Carver renovations along with the new practice facilities for football and basketball. Bowlsby told Alford over and over that he would get a new practice facility but it was clear he never was going to give him one nor tried to raise money for it.

I don't like Barta but I will give him credit for helping to improve the facilities at Iowa. Bowlsby only really cared about football and it showed.

It's embarrassing that we have fans that actually put championship numbers behind AD's on sports that don't bring in true $$$$'s to the athletic dept!! And yes I'm a wrestling fan but the fans don't donate for jack squat!! Football pays the bills folks!!!
It's another way to hold someone accountable for their job. Barta isn't just hired to make sure Iowa football is king and to not pay attention to the rest of the sports. Yes football makes the money but every sport is important from an exposure standpoint. Having good athletics overall is a good thing.

When you look at an AD you have to look at his body of work. Barta has largely failed in his coaching hires outside of Fran, Heller, and the new volleyball coach. The sad thing is he totally blew it on the previous hired for those positions.

I don't know about you but I'm not so sure I trust Barta to make a good hire for football. His track record for coaches is pretty bad.

Barta's epic fail was ceding his authority with that outrageous contract. He has no leverage with Ferentz.

Barta's epic fail was ceding his authority with that outrageous contract. He has no leverage with Ferentz.
You think he would have learned from Bowlsby when he handcuffed Iowa with Alford's contract.

This is the same situation. An underachiving program who's coach is making a lot of money.

Our last two AD's have been a joke.. Don't need to say anything about Barta's hires... Bowlsby, not saying Stoops would have done well at Iowa but comparing him to Terry Allen should have been enough to fire him! We need to take a good look at our hiring processes for our AD position!!!!

Our last two AD's have been a joke.. Don't need to say anything about Barta's hires... Bowlsby, not saying Stoops would have done well at Iowa but comparing him to Terry Allen should have been enough to fire him! We need to take a good look at our hiring processes for our AD position!!!!
I think Hayden was the on one who wanted Terry Allen to take over. Stoops has admitted he wished he would have handled that interview with Bowlsby better. He wanted to be hired on the stop and Bowlsby said he had other people to offer. Then Stoops took the Oklahoma job the next day. He has since admitted that he was a little demanding during his interview and didn't approach it in the right way. Deep down I think he knows he would have been hired by Iowa if he would have waited. His heart has always been in Iowa City and everyone wanted him within the fan base.

Latest posts