Barta is definitely part of the concern

FreddyBrown

This week I've seen confirmation from the media of two things I had suspected about Lickliter from early on.

First, there was the CRG piece about how ill-prepared the staff was about recruiting at this level, the strange attitude and the failure to reach out to AAU programs even within the state.

Second, this morning I heard Jon say that he has it from multiple sources that Coach doesn't have much of a relationship with his players.

Folks, these things are part of what an AD should absolutely identify in his due diligence about a coaching candidate. The more I see and hear the more I think Barta's due diligence on Lickliter primarily consisted of these elements:

1. Coach of the Year.
2. Seemed like a nice guy and interviewed well.
3. Said the right things about concern for academics and winning the right way.
4. No one volunteered anything bad about him.
5. Available relatively cheap.
6. Everyone said he really knows basketball.
7. Coach of the Year.

Items one and seven provided "cover" to our AD for hiring a guy who, without that accolade, would not have had a lot going for him. However, the due diligence was either superficial for failing to identify the significant problems described above (and others), or Barta just overlooked some of the key elements in determining whether this was a good candidate for a Big Ten coaching job.

That's why I am very concerned about what will happen the next time the same guy goes shopping for a head coach.

Last edited:
I really don't know why Barta would want to go down with the ship with this hire. Looking objectively(although I was not pleased with the hire at the time), I wouldn't judge him for one bad hire. Especially when he had to sell an Iowa program with significant disadvantages.

He's done a terrific job with fund raising and other aspects of his job. But I thought his comments about how some fans were asking for coaching changes in football and comparing that to how people feel about our basketball program was ridiculous. And it was almost insulting to me as a season ticket holder and Iowa basketball fan.

If Barta wants to fall on his sword for this guy, I guess that's his choice. But I don't understand why he would want to.

Second, this morning I heard Jon say that he has it from multiple sources that Coach doesn't have much of a relationship with his players.

This wouldn't surprise me one bit. That seems pretty obvious from the body language on the floor and what you observe during the team huddle at timeouts: very little eye contact, very few smiles, very few "way to go," no high-fives, pats on the back or, conversely, getting in players' faces and telling them exactly what they did wrong or what you want from them. (That's as much of being a part of the player and team as anything else.)

Barta needs to get on top of this now, whether it's a long sit-down with Lick on setting both personal goals and program goals, developing relationships with his players and with AAU coaches in the Midwest, hiring a recruiter, etc., or an outright termination and starting over.

This week I've seen confirmation from the media of two things I had suspected about Lickliter from early on.

First, there was the CRG piece about how ill-prepared the staff was about recruiting at this level, the strange attitude and the failure to reach out to AAU programs even within the state.

Folks, these things are part of what an AD should absolutely identify in his due diligence about a coaching candidate. The more I see and hear the more I think Barta's due diligence on Lickliter primarily consisted of these elements:

1. Coach of the Year.
2. Seemed like a nice guy and interviewed well.
3. Said the right things about concern for academics and winning the right way.
4. No one volunteered anything bad about him.
5. Available relatively cheap.
6. Everyone said he really knows basketball.
7. Coach of the Year.

Items one and seven provided "cover" to our AD for hiring a guy who, without that accolade, would not have had a lot going for him. However, the due diligence was either superficial for failing to identify the significant problems described above (and others), or Barta just overlooked some of the key elements in determining whether this was a good candidate for a Big Ten coaching job.

That's why I am very concerned about what will happen the next time the same guy goes shopping for a head coach.

Nailed it,freddy. The thing about Butlers last couple of teams under lick was that Graves brother was an assistant coach,and Stevens,who seems to be a players coach(players wanted him as licks replacement) were on the Butler bench to be the buffers and establish relationships with the players. They were winning,also,which leaves everyone happier. I think this losing at Iowa has exposed licks lack of interpersonal skills with players and the inexperience of his staff,on top of all the rest of the issues with recruiting and program promotion..ect.

And yes, the COY tag gave Barta a hook to sell this backup selection to the Iowa fan base...unfortunately. I would love to see the rest of his list of candidates besides Stallings,who I admit,did not thrill me either at the time...but now looks like John Wooden compared to lick.

To me, the real test for Barta now is how he reacts to being proven wrong...some guys dig their heels in...kind of like our coach. Others roll with the punches, adapt,and make lemonade outta lemons.
I would love it if Barta had a short list,and if the guy he coveted came available,he made a quick course correction. Barring that, if we have transfers, he seizes that opening to make a move. Absent that,which is the most likely scenario...be totally prepared to make a pre-emptive move next year..ie..like Minny did with Tubby...right guy becomes available...jump on him.

Latest posts