Barbee vs. Forbes? My money is on Forbes...

BSpringsteen

Barbee is a head coach, he's younger, he's a good recruiter. He's also probably interviewing for other jobs.

What he wants is out of El Paso, not into Iowa City.

Forbes doesn't want out of Knoxville, he wants in Iowa City.

The level of enthusiasm for the job in the interview is going to be as transparent as can be.

It just doesn't seem like Iowa's style to pass up someone who wants to be the coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes vs. someone who just doesn't want to be the coach at UTEP anymore.

Couldn't agree more. I think Forbes would have an easier time energizing the fan base than Barbee. It would be hard to turn away from someone with that much passion and hunger for the job compared to someone just jumping at a larger pay check.

With that said, I'm a bit biased because I'm not sold on Barbee just yet. One good year at a mid-major...and not a Calipari fan.

Guys Forbes is an Iowa native, very nice. However, he isn't even Pearl's number one assistant????? WHY WOULD BARTA EVEN GO DOWN THAT ROAD.

Message to VikesHawks1.

I wouldn't have known this either, before I did some reading up on Barbee. He hasn't just had one good year at a mid-major.

He took the head job in early August when Doc Sadler took the Nebraska job after one year of succeeding Gillespie at UTEP. Sadler won 27 games. Barbee won 14 in his first year. I am not sure what having a third coach in three years would do to a program. I am not sure why they dropped to half the wins in his first year. But they won 19 games in his second year and 23 in his third year and 26 in this, his fourth year.

Personally, I have never heard him speak or watched a game he has coached. But I have done quite a bit of reading up on him and I am quite impressed. If you want someone with a recruiting track record, he has ties to the NE (he went to UMass and worked for Cal there) and the South (worked for Cal at Memphis) and now has ties to Texas. If he is that good of a recruiter, you have to think he would also get into Chicago. He has a track record of improving his record in each year as a head coach. I am not too sure how we could expect much more from our candidate, unless we got Hewitt, Romar, Stallings or Lavin.

That's just my two cents. Of course, we (Barta) would have to be satisfied that he isn't shady, given his associations with Coach Cal.

Barbee has shown improvement in each year as a head coach at Utep. He is younger than Forbes and would play an uptempo style. I prefer Barbee because of his HC experience, but would get behind either guy. Just because Forbes if from Iowa and really, really wants it more, does not mean Barta will lean his way. I think the head coaching experience is going to be key.

Barbee is a head coach, he's younger, he's a good recruiter. He's also probably interviewing for other jobs.

What he wants is out of El Paso, not into Iowa City.

Forbes doesn't want out of Knoxville, he wants in Iowa City.

The level of enthusiasm for the job in the interview is going to be as transparent as can be.

It just doesn't seem like Iowa's style to pass up someone who wants to be the coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes vs. someone who just doesn't want to be the coach at UTEP anymore.

This^^^^^^^^. He's been my favorite as far as asst. coaches all along. People...HE WANTS TO BE THE COACH!!!

This^^^^^^^^. He's been my favorite as far as asst. coaches all along. People...HE WANTS TO BE THE COACH!!!

I'm guessing we could find plenty of assistants who would want to be Iowa's coach. Why don't we hire a guy who has already been a head coach and make this Tennessee assistant his #1 assistant? What's the infatuation with a guy who isn't even a #1 assistant?? Just 'cause he wants to come back home?

I get what the poster is saying, but just because a guy "wants to be at Iowa" does not mean he is the best guy for the job. That is all I am saying.

I know, I was making a feeble attempt at a joke. But given his record as a recruiter, I do very much like that he's from Iowa and really WANTS this job, much like Paul Rhoads for ISU Football.

Wait a second...Barbee is a Calipari under study???? I Hate that guy...can't stand Calipari...cheats everywhere he goes (really, what other coach has had to vacate Final Four seasons at TWO different schools??) The guy is SLIME....So if it's true Barbee learned under him, thanks but no thanks to Tony Barbee...I want our program to have some class and win with dignity. (and yes I know that the coaches can't be totally perfect in todays AAU world...but at least try to be!)

I am boggled by trying to follow the search... which is fine. If it was easy, it wouldn't be fun. At my school, our principal says that she would rather have a great teacher for two years than an okay teacher forever, so she doesn't hesitate to hire someone who will probably be gone soon because of family or ambition concerns. If Barbee becomes coach, puts the program on sound footing, then leaves in 2-3 years. Is that so bad?

So because Cal cheats, Barbee does also?

Guilt by association!

I don't think that is fair to Barbee, who few to none of us know as a recruiter.

IMO Barbee would come in and turn this thing around, but then bolt for the next best job. WHich I am ok with because that means he has been successful. Forbes would seemingly turn it around and stay...which also has its merits.

Latest posts