Bad news for WBB

judzeehawk

Incoming freshman Kate Martin will miss this year due to an ACL injury this week. Kate will have surgery at the end of June. Not off to a good start for the season. I feel sorry for Kate and hope she has a good recovery. Please no more injuries for the rest of the year.

It seem like there is a lady hawk with acl tear every stinking year! I don't recall hearing teams like UCONN or Notre Dame having these issues.

It seem like there is a lady hawk with acl tear every stinking year! I don't recall hearing teams like UCONN or Notre Dame having these issues.
Notre Dame had 4 ACL surgeries last season! 4 of them. They were starters also. It's going to be tough to knock Notre Dame off their pedestal because all 4 ladies will be back this year. Counting Tania Davis with the last 2 years and now Kate it does stink but it could be a lot worse. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else happens for the Hawks as the year progresses.

ACL injuries in women athletes are like UCL injuries in MLB pitchers. Its going to happen, you just dont know when.

Notre Dame had 4 ACL surgeries last season! 4 of them. They were starters also. It's going to be tough to knock Notre Dame off their pedestal because all 4 ladies will be back this year. Counting Tania Davis with the last 2 years and now Kate it does stink but it could be a lot worse. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else happens for the Hawks as the year progresses.
ACLs are going to happen at a high rate in women’s sports no matter what. It’s part of the deal. There are tons of interesting scientific studies out there. Most of them come to 3 conclusions.

1) Females’ ligaments are smaller (and weaker) relative to body weight than males’.

2) Females’ supporting leg muscles are weaker in general than male athletes.

3) Because of different body structure, females tend to run, jump, and cut more flat-footed and with less bending at the hips and knees than men (more stiff-legged) which stresses the ACL.

Bottom line, unless you can change thousands of years of genetics, ACLs are going to happen at a way higher rate than in mens sports. Have to plan for it and deal with it. Some of the studies show it being 8-10 times more likely in females.