Bad Habits form easily

NikeHawk21

I said after the Alabama State game I was concerned about seeing the old Iowa ole’ defense returning for the last 30 minutes of that game. Wouldn’t you know it it returned there the first 20 minutes of the game tonight.

Luckily they went into the locker room at half and committed to playing hard on the defensive end and it got them the win tonight. Hopefully a wake up call for this team and they will continue to improve. Glad we got the win.

I said after the Alabama State game I was concerned about seeing the old Iowa ole’ defense returning for the last 30 minutes of that game. Wouldn’t you know it it returned there the first 20 minutes of the game tonight.

Luckily they went into the locker room at half and committed to playing hard on the defensive end and it got them the win tonight. Hopefully a wake up call for this team and they will continue to improve. Glad we got the win.

They will probably need a reminder 15-20 more times this year. Every game we win where we struggle on defense is a dodged bullet. Getting a reminder and a win is about the best case scenario. If we go out and blow out Wisconsin Friday we will get run out of the gym against MSU.

Remember when we said, “if this team could play even average defense, they could dance” ? I think we’re gonna see ups and downs with it, but the 2nd half was much better, the first half was bad but the team fought for the win. It’s tougher to play with a target on your back and like it or not, ranked 14th they are now gonna get every teams best shot.

Remember when we said, “if this team could play even average defense, they could dance” ? I think we’re gonna see ups and downs with it, but the 2nd half was much better, the first half was bad but the team fought for the win. It’s tougher to play with a target on your back and like it or not, ranked 14th they are now gonna get every teams best shot.
Agreed, the defense locked in the second half and quite frankly the offense should share some of the blame for this game being closer than we expected. We couldn’t get the ball inside to Cook and Garza, and it led to a bunch of crappy possessions.

McCaffery did a poor coaching job getting the team ready. I like to think he was probably working on preparing them for Wisconsin this Friday. Anyway, they didn't look like they knew what they were doing the first half.

If you're going to say that (which is fair) you have to admit he did a good job of getting them ready for the second half.
He did do a good job for the second half, but I was just trying to say I thought the reason they played so poorly the first half was they were thinking about Wisconsin.

Same concerning warts popped up in this game that I was hoping had been eliminated coming back from NYC. Extremely poor defensive effort for an entire half of basketball, Jekyll and Hyde offensively, puckering up toward the end of the game, and poor execution late in the game. Our last 3-4 shot attempts were horrendous looks at the rim, and we missed key foul shots at the end.

We won the game, that is great because by the end of the season this would have looked like a bad loss, as Pitt is going to take their lumps in the ACC this year.

It's going to be a struggle all season long. And it will cost us some games. The blame for that belongs squarely on Fran's shoulders. You cannot treat half of the game like a redheaded step monkey. You have to practice at that end of the court, every day your team is in the gym.

McCaffery did a poor coaching job getting the team ready. I like to think he was probably working on preparing them for Wisconsin this Friday. Anyway, they didn't look like they knew what they were doing the first half.
I don’t know if it was poor coaching in preparing for this game as much as it was poor adjustment in-game; it just took too long to switch JBo off of the PG and too long to get out of man2man. And little adjustment to get the ball inside.

Obviously after watching film Pitt try to push Iowa around to see if it was groundhog 2017-18 and slow down Cook/Garza.

That’s going to happen more until Iowa proves repeatedly on the arc they are capable. And depending on what the opponent wants to take away — whether arc or lane — Iowa will need to adjust in game.

It's almost like other teams are trying to take away our strengths and exploit our weaknesses. How dare they do that? Good thing Iowa doesn't do that to other teams.

It's almost like other teams are trying to take away our strengths and exploit our weaknesses. How dare they do that? Good thing Iowa doesn't do that to other teams.
I’m not sure what post specifically you may be referring to but the point of my OP was that it appeared to be a carryover effect from the lack of effort and intensity shown the last 30 minutes of the Alabama State game. You can’t just flip a switch and decide to be good at defense, you have to to work at it and commit to playing hard on that end. Luckily they got it figured out at halftime and won the game. Hopefully lesson learned.

I’m not sure what post specifically you may be referring to but the point of my OP was that it appeared to be a carryover effect from the lack of effort and intensity shown the last 30 minutes of the Alabama State game. You can’t just flip a switch and decide to be good at defense, you have to to work at it and commit to playing hard on that end. Luckily they got it figured out at halftime and won the game. Hopefully lesson learned.

Wasn't your post specifically, but teams are going to try and beat Iowa just how you described...because they want to win the game to. So far, Iowa has been able to weather through it, that tells me they are a team. Last nights 1st half was brutal for me to watch. Every time they scored, it seemed to me anyways. I looked at who had their hand in the guys face and its was JORDAN. He got exposed pretty hard last night and it was tough to watch.

To that end, they spent FOREVER in that locker room. Typically, we roll out of the locker room around 10 minutes into the 15 minute halftime. This time, we were in there until just under 2 minutes before the half started. Everyone basically got a layup then they were playing. Allowing 46 points in a half, I'd imagine Fran was having some choice words.

Wasn't your post specifically, but teams are going to try and beat Iowa just how you described...because they want to win the game to. So far, Iowa has been able to weather through it, that tells me they are a team. Last nights 1st half was brutal for me to watch. Every time they scored, it seemed to me anyways. I looked at who had their hand in the guys face and its was JORDAN. He got exposed pretty hard last night and it was tough to watch.
What sucks is I saw him close out with a purpose in New York so I know he can do it. Last night was lazy closeouts again. It's not a slow thing with him (completely anyway) its effort. Maybe he has to try harder to make up for quickness so he tires faster than most?

To that end, they spent FOREVER in that locker room. Typically, we roll out of the locker room around 10 minutes into the 15 minute halftime. This time, we were in there until just under 2 minutes before the half started. Everyone basically got a layup then they were playing. Allowing 46 points in a half, I'd imagine Fran was having some choice words.
nice insight, I did not know that.

As I said earlier, this is something that is going to be a problem all season. Fran can mitigate it by yanking players early, that aren't giving all out effort on defense. That's how a coach keeps it from becoming a 20 minute problem or a 40 minute problem. Fran has to make up his mind that he's going to be that coach.

What sucks is I saw him close out with a purpose in New York so I know he can do it. Last night was lazy closeouts again. It's not a slow thing with him (completely anyway) its effort. Maybe he has to try harder to make up for quickness so he tires faster than most?

He did play a season high 37 minutes last night and surprisingly had 6 steals. Granted several of those steals were passes thrown right to him vs poking the ball loose or jumping the passing lane.