B1G Schools Set to Receive $25.7 mil next year

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
For now, the Big Ten is still the top dog when it comes to revenue generation in all of college athletics.

According to a report in the St Louis Post-Dispatch, each school (minus Nebraska) will receive $25.7 million from the conference.

The ESPN/SEC deal is expected to be worth more, but the Big Ten is probably a couple years away from announcing its new rights packages. ESPN/ABC will still want to bid on the B1G inventory, but look for Fox to be a big time player this time around which could drive up the rates the B1G gets. Before it's all said and done and when you account for the equity position each B1G school holds in the BTN, there's still no better financial deal around than you will find in the Big Ten.

SEC may momentarily pass the B1G in a couple years, but the B1G's new primary package in 2016 will blow them out of the water.

B12 supposedly average 26.2 through 2025. Which pretty much means they'll get 26.2 or so in 2019. By 2019, B1G will be way beyond 26.2. B12 doesn't include tier 3, so they'll add some there, but for many schools that won't amount to a lot of money. OU and UT will make a lot of money off tier 3.

Should Fox Sports 1 acquire the Big Ten rights it would set up some interesting dynamics during football season. I'm not sure where CBS fits in this since they have been carrying some SEC games. FS1 would be broadcasting a BT game at the same time ABC/ESPN would be broadcasting SEC, Big 12 or ACC games; somebody from the latter is not going to be on ABC national or regional. My question is where Fox would broadcast the second tier games, would they fall to the BTN or be on other FS networks?

To pay for these deals the networks have to generate advertising dollars and gather money from pay tv providers. We know that the Longhorn network isn't popular outside of Texas and no national carriers of significance have picked it up. ESPN already has several channels to pick from and now has to add another. It will be interesting.

This is much better than the reported deals of the Little 12. Texas gets the big piece and everyone else gets the crumbs.

Ku made 6.2 million on jayhawks tv last year. Admittedly not much to be made for the Iowa State's of the world but its not just it and ou doing well.

Just another banner year for the Big Ten - just to compare, the SEC is going to average 28.6 million per school for tier 1, 2, and 3 rights over a 20 year deal with ESPN that includes no equity in the network. The Big Ten is nearly there per school now, and the most valuable rights are about to come up for renewal in 2015-16, plus by having the equity stake in BTN they get to share in any upside in future revenue increases. The recent expansion with Maryland revealed that they expect $50 million or more in revenue by 2020. I can guarantee that the Big Ten's contract won't be more than 10 years long for tier 1.

My question is where Fox would broadcast the second tier games, would they fall to the BTN or be on other FS networks?

BTN is already a tier2/tier3 kind of combo. But if Fox lands the primary B1G rights, I would expect to see B1G games on FOX, FS1, FS2, and possibly even FX (although unlikely).

Latest posts