B1G needs to Change the BBall Schedule to 16 Games

eyekwah

On the morming of 2-4-21 Nebraska is faced with playing 15 games in 30 days. Michigan State is faced with playing 11 games before March 7, which is the end of the regular schedule. If Michigan is unable to resume play until 2-17-21 they would have to play 11 games in 18 days. The fair solution is to redraft the schedule at this point. Let each team play each other once to get to 13 games for all and then cut the schedule back to 16 games. In cases where two teams have played each other twice already eliminate them from playing a third time before selecting opponents for the three dual plays, i.e. Iowa would not play Minnesota and Northwestern, Illinois would not play Indiana, etc. Let's get real Nebraska isn't going to play 15 games in 30 days nor is Michigan going to play 11 game in 18 days. Wisconsin is sitting there with 8 games to play in 30 days because they benefited by not missing any scheduled games. The conference needs to recognize right now that they need to take steps to correct the problem.

With a 16 game schedule Iowa would play Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska for single plays and 1 game against someone other than Minnesota and Northwestern.

Last edited:
There’s no going back now IMO. The schedule is 20 games. MSU and PSU are already paying the price for their stoppages...condensed schedules. That can’t be undone if they’ve only played teams once with your suggestion.

They’re young and can handle it. This used to happen all the time before BTN to accommodate TV. And the current unbalanced schedule isn’t fair anyway. It’s never going to be 100% the same for everyone. Just my thoughts...

Edit - If I were a player I would want to play. They aren’t D1 players because they like to watch basketball and cancel games. No one likes sitting on the bench...out of the rotation.

If they let the scholarship players in the conference vote. I bet the vast majority would vote to play. Garza said something to the affect of he hates long layoffs. He would rather play again the next day.

Last edited:
Yeah disagree - teams like Iowa are already at a disadvantage having to squeeze in games into their normal schedule. How would it be fair to just let Michigan skate on that? They don't need to make it 16 games, they need to make it so Michigan has to play the same amount of games as everyone else, tight windows or not. MSU is already doing that. Nebraska is about to start doing that. Our week is completely fucked right now, so why should Michigan get out of it?

When Chris Street died our season got put on hold for nine days and two games had to be crammed into late February. Nobody shed any tears for our predicament (different story for Chris, who was popular with opposing players all over the league) and none of our players complained.

The only team it would help is Michigan, because MSU and NE (who will start this weekend) are already cramming in the extra games. It also hurts all the teams that had their games cancelled by UM, MSU or NE - so again, the only team helped in this scenario would be Michigan and as an Iowa fan I say f that in the p

When Chris Street died our season got put on hold for nine days and two games had to be crammed into late February. Nobody shed any tears for our predicament (different story for Chris, who was popular with opposing players all over the league) and none of our players complained.

First game after the tragedy

We beat the wolverines and the Fab Five

One of the most dramatic Hawkeye Basketball games ever

First game after the tragedy

We beat the wolverines and the Fab Five

One of the most dramatic Hawkeye Basketball games ever
Actually, didn't we come back at Michigan State, force OT, and pull it out before Michigan?

We were down like fourteen with four to go, then Val Barnes got hot.

Latest posts