B10 Officials _ Stop the dialogue.

WinOneThisCentury

Wednesday night Gross chewed on an official the entire first half...actually a couple of them. Constant dialogue during inbounds plays and free throws. Then I watch the MSU - Minnesota game and there is Izzo doing what he does and has a constant prolonged conversation with the officials during free throws and inbounds.

B10 officials need to cut that crap out. They are supposed to be impartial and at least provide / give that perception. Sure, a coach gets a chance to argue a call, but the incessant communication for an entire game has the feel of impropriety and influence...how could it not? I've always felt Izzo was a champion manipulator and curried favor with officials and it influenced close calls down the stretch...same thing with AssBo over in Wisconsin.

Someone in the B10 office needs to get their head out of their *** and stop the prolonged in their ear crap these coaches get away with...they are treated differently. It's just way out of control. Gross should have been T'd up Wednesday...just for the sodomized face he makes if for nothing else.

Coaches should only be allowed to address an official during timeouts and between quarters. Bench technical. Otherwise shut up and coach your team, not the refs.

If you watched closely Fran did it as well. Probably not as much as Groce and certainly nowhere near Izzo level. But he does have quiet conversations with the officials, especially during free throws or other stoppages.

I used to be bugged about it but I no longer think so. I think conversation can be a good thing in terms of managing games, players and coaches. You'll see the players talk to the officials at times, too. Whitey seems to have gotten pretty good at it.

I don't think coaches should be allowed to have conversations with officials at all. There is absolutely no place for it in the game. Officiating basketball is already hard enough. The last thing you need is to have someone in your ear taking away your focus and making you second guess your calls.

Refs already screw up enough calls on their own before you factor in all the make up calls and "appease the pi$$ed of coach" calls. They were put on the court for a reason. Let them do their job to the best of their ability without outside persuation.

I don't think coaches should be allowed to have conversations with officials at all. There is absolutely no place for it in the game. Officiating basketball is already hard enough. The last thing you need is to have someone in your ear taking away your focus and making you second guess your calls.

Refs already screw up enough calls on their own before you factor in all the make up calls and "appease the pi$$ed of coach" calls. They were put on the court for a reason. Let them do their job to the best of their ability without outside persuation.

I think there's a difference between berating officials or continually getting in their ear about something and having a more professional conversation, even if just a few words, during the game or at stoppages. You see it at the collegiate and pro levels in many sports, including basketball and football. And it doesn't hurt for the official to explain or remind the coach of a nuance in the rules or their calls (eg, I know there was a discussion about why Woody's hold on an Illanoy player was not a Flagrant 1 -- he was making a basketball play going for the ball initially -- and the Illanoy player's hold on (?) Whitey, which clearly was nothing more than an attempt to keep him from driving the lane).

If you watched closely Fran did it as well. Probably not as much as Groce and certainly nowhere near Izzo level. But he does have quiet conversations with the officials, especially during free throws or other stoppages.

I used to be bugged about it but I no longer think so. I think conversation can be a good thing in terms of managing games, players and coaches. You'll see the players talk to the officials at times, too. Whitey seems to have gotten pretty good at it.

Boy from my perspective it was on the same level as Izzo maybe worse. Fran was intentionally quiet...he knew who was complaining and really he had nothing to complain about...I believe fouls in that half at one time were 10-2. Groce goes beyond Izzo...he is downright mean...his facial expressions he looks like he could literally take a swing. Izzo just cries and makes facial gestures that look like HE is dying.

It seems like Fran’s change in behavior toward officials has allowed our team to play more relaxed and confident. As for the officials, they don’t put up with the dialogue in the ncaa tourney, so they really shouldn’t during the conf season either.

It seems like Fran’s change in behavior toward officials has allowed our team to play more relaxed and confident. As for the officials, they don’t put up with the dialogue in the ncaa tourney, so they really shouldn’t during the conf season either.

That may have something to do with lack of familiarity with the officials doing the NCAA. I think the NCAA goes out of its way to try to assign competent, but less familiar officials to each game. If someone typically does mostly BoneG games, he likely won't get an NCAA tournament game involving a BoneG team.

That wasn't the case with the NIT semi-final where the crew for the Iowa-Maryland game (pre BoneG merger, mind you) included old Jim Burr, a favorite with Hokkeye fans. :p

I think all the talking during action needs to stop. I agree that it distracts the officials and the game moves plenty fast for them.

It makes you wonder if some of these coaches get the refs they want or dont want, somehow.

Great topic by the OP. This is something I have given some thought to and I offer this solution.
They should adopt a hockey approach. Put them behind an 8foot plexiglass wall. Problem solved. I wonder if these coaches can mime as well as they can "work" the refs.....I can imagine some great YouTube videos would come from their silent antics.

And keep them in the danged coach’s box. We can’t have coaches 8 feet onto the court in the defensive stance firing their team up. Calipari is the worst.

College coaches believe that they are entitled to voice their opinion and start discussions with officials at this level because they are running a multi million dollar business and in their mind, their job security/success can be impacted by the calls the officials make.

I agree tho that it's gotten out of hand. But it's gotta come from the NCAA. Have all conferences on the same page and warn the coaches that starting year 2016 season for example that unsporting Ts will be thrown more frequently. Officials follow through with the plan and coaches will adjust eventually.

I can't remember who the TV announcer was, but recently during a college BB game, he commented on how the refs kept going to both coaches throughout the game to 'explain' their calls....which the announcer thought was BS.

I agree. Call your call. Walk away. Don't apologize. Sheesh.

Yeah, there really isn't any reason for a coach to interact with a ref. And that kind of goes and any sport, maybe, every once in a while, get an explanation but that really should go for extremely confusing rulings.

I certainly noticed a much more reserved Fran than the past. Most times he is now standing there with his arms crossed. Don't remember the last time I saw him screaming at officials.

I like newer personality Fran is displaying on court. He's definitely cool as steel. Its much harder for the another team to read his body language. He's giving the responsibilties to assistant coaches to yell to players. I see more active Dillard, Francis, and Dillard. It is harder for me to see what's his next plans are.....

Latest posts