B.J. Greenlee

Tierney

I see where Greenlee committed to Minnesota. He was a guy Iowa offered before taking Joe Toussaint.

I see where Greenlee committed to Minnesota. He was a guy Iowa offered before taking Joe Toussaint.

Fran was seriously interested in this kid??? “A three-year starter and star for the Lions, Greenlee earned Co-Player of the Year honors from the Gainesville Sun. He averaged 13.7 points and 7.3 assists per game as he helped lead his team to a Sunshine Independent Athletic Association title, also contributing 4.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals in 2018-19. Greenlee is rated a three-star prospect by Rivals.”

His assist numbers are ok but that’s about all I see that’s note worthy. I’ll take Toussaint over him.

Bryan "BJ" Greenlee Signs with the Minnesota Golden Gophers

• University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Friday the addition of 6-foot guard Bryan "BJ" Greenlee. The Gainesville, Fla., native and senior at the Rock School will join the team this summer in preparation for the 2019-20 season.

"We are excited about the addition of BJ," Pitino said. "He's played at the highest level and succeeded his whole high school career. He's a fierce competitor and a great kid. BJ is a winner. Our program got a lot better today."

A three-year starter and star for the Lions, Greenlee earned Co-Player of the Year honors from the Gainesville Sun. He averaged 13.7 points and 7.3 assists per game as he helped lead his team to a Sunshine Independent Athletic Association title, also contributing 4.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals in 2018-19. Greenlee is rated a three-star prospect by Rivals.

Greenlee is the fifth signee in the Class of 2019 for the Maroon and Gold, joining rising freshmen Sam Freeman (Dallas, Texas/Northwest HS), Isaiah Ihnen (Boeblingen, Germany/IBA Munich) and Tre' Williams (Dallas, Texas/Wasatch Academy [Utah]) along with graduate transfer Alihan Demir (Ankara, Turkey/Ari College/Drexel).

I know this is an older article but it speaks for itself. The goofies can have Greenlee.

IOWA 2019 POINT GUARD RECRUIT JOE TOUSSAINT ENJOYING STRONG SENIOR SEASON

2954.jpg

Joe Toussaint (center) after being named the MVP of the Big Apple tournament on Saturday

NEW YORK CITY - Iowa fans will be very pleased if Fran McCaffery benefits from having Joe Toussaint on his roster as much as Joseph Lods has over the past four seasons.

Lods is the head coach at Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, N.Y., and Toussaint is his star point guard as Toussaint showed on Saturday by being named the Most Valuable Player of the Big Apple Tournament in lower Manhattan.

Toussaint is also a 2019 Iowa basketball recruit and Lods was asked on Saturday what Hawkeye fans can expect from his 5-foot-10 star point guard.

"He's a tough New York City guard who competes, especially at the end of the game," Lods said. "He's just a gamer. He's a winner.

"If you look at his record at Cardinal Hayes, it's off the charts. He makes me look like a good coach, he really does."

As a sophomore in the 2016-17 season, Toussaint helped lead Cardinal Hayes to their first CHSAA city championship on the AA level since 1990.

Last season, as a junior, he averaged 15 points per game for the Cardinals and led them to a 21-8 record and led them to a berth in the CHSAA semifinals.

"Understand, we hadn't won the championship since I believe it was 28 years, so Joe showed up and got us back to the city championship with a victory," Lods said.

Toussaint built on his reputation as a winner by leading Cardinal Hayes to a victory in the Big Apple Tournament on Saturday. He finished with 16 points, five assists and two steals.

Cardinal Hayes improved to 14-3 with the victory.

"I'm just progressing every single game," Toussaint said of his senior season.

Toussaint said he talks with the Iowa coaches and players on a regular basis, and he looks forward to attending Iowa's game at Rutgers on Feb. 16th.

"I talk to them basically every single day," Toussaint said.

Asked what he thinks his role will be for Iowa next season, Toussaint said:

"Just being a point guard on the floor. Scoring when I have to and playing defense on the best guards in the Big Ten."

Iowa needs to restock at point guard with current starter Jordan Bohannon being a junior.

The only other point guard on the current roster is redshirt freshman Connor McCaffery, who is the son of Iowa coach Fran McCaffery.

I question a lot of things Fran does, but identifying talent isn't one. I'm all in on Joe T.

I agree on Fran and talent evaluation. He seems good at both identifying late bloomers early, who end up "blowing up", getting offers from a big boy, and leaving us at the alter. Sad, but still a testament to his eye for talent. Or, he also finds under the radar guys who blossom in college.

As an evaluater of talent, his blind spot seems to be the 6'4 off guard who is the "best 3-point shooter I have ever coached" but whose overall game is not good enough for this level of play.

Still, overall, Fran usually spots talent before most.

There were some concerns about Joe T suddenly wiping IOWA from his social media. Has there been further comment on that?