Athlon tries to explain Iowa in 5th...

in our division next year...

Athlon editor explains Iowa’s low pick in 2011 | Hawk Central

I don't see it. Our division will be in a lot of turmoil next year. We should finish above Minny and Michigan for sure next year and probably end up tied with NW. Nebby and MSU fight for 1st and 2nd.

I didn't read their explanation, but I would guess it has something to do with getting beat by Minnesota. Remember at the beginning of last season after a few games we all said something to the effect of being able to take getting beat by Arizona but to get beat by Minnesota, (which would never happen) would be the worst...ever. By that game no one seemed that surprised. Hopefully the Hawks will prove them all wrong!

I definitely didn't expect Iowa to be picked high going into next season but I also know that we should be better than 5th in our division. Everybody seems to be riding the MSU train going into next season and I don't get it. We beat them handily, and they had a handful of games where they barely won, much like us in 2009. Unlike us they got their ***** handed to them in the bowl game. I don't see them being a top dog. I'm also still looking at Nebby and the whole TMart situation. Plus their defense is not built to beat the run happy teams in the Big 10. Nebby will not get to 10 wins next year. NW is still just NW, and although they have a history of beating us overall their body of work isn't too impressive and even with Persa coming back fully healed they don't prove much of a top threat. Michigan will still be trying to find their footing after the new coaching hire, much like Iowa in 1999. And Minny will be paddling behind the boat Michigan is in. The division could be up for grabs. Iowa has the tendency to handle transition at an even keel type pace. Get a couple of breaks and it's not hard to imagine Iowa in the top 3.

They simply haven't looked at the schedule for each team. I doubt Nebraska goes better than 5-3 traveling to Penn State and Madison plus hosting tOSU in Lincoln as their out of conference.

Compare that with Iowa who plays at Purdue, at Penn State and hosts Indiana.

Here are my picks for next year, lock it down.

1. N'Western 6-2. They are good enough to only lose at Nebraska but figure a head scratcher somewhere.
2. Nebraska 5-3. They beat Iowa last week
2. Iowa 5-3. They lose at Nebraska last week.
4. Michigan State 4-4. They were a fraud this year and will be worse next year.
4. Michigan 4-4. Hoke surprises and goes to a bowl game first year at UM at 7-5.
6. Minnesota 2-6. They have a long long road.

But I think it is entirely possible that we'll go into the last week with N'Western, Nebraska and Iowa all sitting at 5-2.

Not buying the NW love. Heck, Persa might not even recover 100%. The achilles injury can be very tricky. Plus, NW's defense is absolutely awful.

I really think Iowa and the Cornheads fight it out for the division, if Iowa has a normal year for injuries (unlike this year!).

Not buying the NW love. Heck, Persa might not even recover 100%. The achilles injury can be very tricky. Plus, NW's defense is absolutely awful.

I really think Iowa and the Cornheads fight it out for the division, if Iowa has a normal year for injuries (unlike this year!).

If Persa isn't back, than that changes things considerably. But if he is, he is the best QB in the conference next year.

Interesting reading. That said, I wouldn't take Athon's predictions and their explanation about Iowa's ranking to the bank, or consider it of much value.

It's only January. A lot can happen between now and next December.

Even if Persa is back, his escapability is a HUGE factor in his play, and I can't see how he'll have the same quickness with that injury. He'll be a good player, but he'll be missing a little something.

Latest posts