Athlon Sports pre-season rankings

I

Ian Pike Hammer

Athlon has Oregon at #17 nationally, while Syracuse is listed at #14

Stiff challenges for the Lads if we have to play them both.....

Rather strong yardstick for the season.....

:cool:

I'd be overjoyed if we could beat one of them!
UConn [14-18, 7-11] is picked to finish 6th in the American Athletic Conf.

Ranked teams from the B1G:

Mich. St. # 10
Mich. # 24
Neb. # 25

Top ten nationally:

1. Kansas
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Gonzaga

5. Nevada- what?
6. Tennessee- what?
7. N. Car.
8. Virginia- we should study their defense!!!
9. Auburn
10. Mich. St.

Rest of the top 25 according to Athlon:

11.Kansas St.
12. Vir. Tech.
13. 'Nova- they lost alot of talent!
14. Syracuse
15. W. Vir. - we should press like they do
16. Fla. St.
17. Ore.
18. LSU
19. Miss. St.
20. Washington
21. UCLA
22. Clemson
23. TCU
24. Mich.
25. Neb.

Keep in mind this is highly subjective and prolly bias.
We'll be there in March!!!!!!!!!!

;

Mich. St. # 10
Mich. # 24
Neb. # 25

Top ten nationally:

1. Kansas
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Gonzaga

5. Nevada- what?
6. Tennessee- what?
7. N. Car.
9. Auburn
10. Mich. St.

11.Kansas St.
12. Vir. Tech.
14. Syracuse
16. Fla. St.
17. Ore.
18. LSU
19. Miss. St.
20. Washington
21. UCLA
22. Clemson
23. TCU
24. Mich.
25. Neb.

;

I believe we will have a chance playing both of them. I am a bit upbeat about this year's team. Last season was an anomaly, and we started to get things together near the end of the season. There were too many components to gell, and it took a while to find the combinations that worked. Our performance in the BTT was rewarding and presented a promise of things to come.....

If we can tighten the D, especially on the perimeter and in transition, with the added offense of JoeW, we should be competitive.....

It remains to be seen. I also believe if we land F Trace Jackson Davis, we just might have the upper hand with the Xman.....

Most teams could learn D by studying Virginia.....

Last edited:

Mich. St. # 10
Mich. # 24
Neb. # 25

Top ten nationally:

1. Kansas
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Gonzaga

5. Nevada- what?
6. Tennessee- what?
7. N. Car.
9. Auburn
10. Mich. St.

11.Kansas St.
12. Vir. Tech.
14. Syracuse
16. Fla. St.
17. Ore.
18. LSU
19. Miss. St.
20. Washington
21. UCLA
22. Clemson
23. TCU
24. Mich.
25. Neb.

;
Rick Barnes can flat out freaking coach. Not surprising that he has Tennessee relevant.

I was the biggest Nevada fan in the Midwest last year. Now their transfers are eligible and they have that five star big coming in and much of their firepower returns from last year. But there is only one ball. Will they share it? Will Lindsay Drew be back from the Achilles that sidelined him for their NCAA run last year?

Alford will find a way to screw things up in Tinseltown again.

Glad Texas isn't on the top 25. I think Shaka Smart, like Alford, is an overrated coach.

Big ten team that I think takes the biggest leap this year? Nebraska.

Rick Barnes can flat out freaking coach. Not surprising that he has Tennessee relevant.

I was the biggest Nevada fan in the Midwest last year. Now their transfers are eligible and they have that five star big coming in and much of their firepower returns from last year. But there is only one ball. Will they share it? Will Lindsay Drew be back from the Achilles that sidelined him for their NCAA run last year?

Glad Texas isn't on the top 25. I think Shaka Smart, like Alford, is an overrated coach.

The Chicago Loyola vs Nevada was one of the most intense and entertaining games of the tournament.....

It was overall one of the best Dances ever.....

After last year, I think Iowa is the big ten team that takes the biggest leap.
I guess if Iowa goes 10-10 in the conference this year, which is likely, it would be the biggest leap.

Maybe I should have said most relevant leap.

Nebraska should solidly be in the NCAA field this year.

Then again, I also thought Purdue football was for real. Sometimes a person (me) can't prognosticate his way out a paper bag!

Yeah sneaky great hire by them. He was a good recruiter and coach at TX but he'll stand out in the football conference that is the SEC more than he did the Big 12. They landed a 5 star SG just the other day...

Yeah sneaky great hire by them. He was a good recruiter and coach at TX but he'll stand out in the football conference that is the SEC more than he did the Big 12. They landed a 5 star SG just the other day...
He reminds me the late Rick Majerus in a way. They both broke basketball down to simple forms and drilled fundamentals and toughness. Very similiar to how Barry Alvarez coached football. The two Rick's may not have looked like typical coaches in a regal, scholarly way, but they simply "got it" when it came time to match X's and O's.

Mich. St. # 10
Mich. # 24
Neb. # 25

Top ten nationally:

1. Kansas
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Gonzaga

5. Nevada- what?
6. Tennessee- what?
7. N. Car.
9. Auburn
10. Mich. St.

11.Kansas St.
12. Vir. Tech.
14. Syracuse
16. Fla. St.
17. Ore.
18. LSU
19. Miss. St.
20. Washington
21. UCLA
22. Clemson
23. TCU
24. Mich.
25. Neb.

;

Waaaaaaare I-O-W-A???

All kidding aside seriously when has Fran ever had a much talent and depth on a team since he has been at Iowa? Last season Fran himself stated that this was the deepest team he has ever had.

Speaking of deepest that reminds me of a church official talking one day at my church about how when he was younger his doctorate degree dictated that he be in a high and substantial position at church. He said as he got older he realized how foolish of a notion that was. He said after all he first achieved a BS degree and he said that we all know what BS stands for (bull$hit) and then he went on to say “ and we all know PHD stands for; Piled Higher and Deeper”, Yep, he got a good laugh with that one.

Sorry, I digressed there, but seriously this should be a hugely successful season for Fran considering two years what we thought this year would bring. Depth, experience, and gifted athletes. There can be no excuses at this point. Even the most fairest minded FrAN supporter has to admit it’s do or die time.

Athlon's predicted order of finish for the B1G Ten:

1. Mich. St.
2. Mich.
3. Neb.
4. Indiana

5. Purdue
6. Maryland
7. Wisconsin
8. Ohio St.
9. Iowa
10. Penn. St.
11. Minnesota
12. Northwestern
13. Illinois
14. Rutgers

Note: Lindy's bball mag is also out

Waaaaaaare I-O-W-A???

All kidding aside seriously when has Fran ever had a much talent and depth on a team since he has been at Iowa? Last season Fran himself stated that this was the deepest team he has ever had.

Speaking of deepest that reminds me of a church official talking one day at my church about how when he was younger his doctorate degree dictated that he be in a high and substantial position at church. He said as he got older he realized how foolish of a notion that was. He said after all he first achieved a BS degree and he said that we all know what BS stands for (bull$hit) and then he went on to say “ and we all know PHD stands for; Piled Higher and Deeper”, Yep, he got a good laugh with that one.

Sorry, I digressed there, but seriously this should be a hugely successful season for Fran considering two years what we thought this year would bring. Depth, experience, and gifted athletes. There can be no excuses at this point. Even the most fairest minded FrAN supporter has to admit it’s do or die time.
giphy.gif

Mich. St. # 10
Mich. # 24
Neb. # 25

Top ten nationally:

1. Kansas
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Gonzaga

5. Nevada- what?
6. Tennessee- what?
7. N. Car.
9. Auburn
10. Mich. St.

11.Kansas St.
12. Vir. Tech.
14. Syracuse
16. Fla. St.
17. Ore.
18. LSU
19. Miss. St.
20. Washington
21. UCLA
22. Clemson
23. TCU
24. Mich.
25. Neb.

;

Athlon's assessment of B1G recruiting [for 2018-2019]:

12. Iowa

1.Maryland
2. Indiana
3. Michigan
4. Mich. St.
5. Illinois
6. Ohio St.
7. NW
8. Minn.
9. Purdue
10. Rutgers
11. Penn St.

13.Wisc.
14.Neb.

Waaaaaaare I-O-W-A???

So.....what? Sweet 16 birth? BIG title? That sort of "Do or Die" time?

Athlon Sports: Post-season predictions for the B1G Ten:

[alphabetically]

Illinois- none
Indiana- 2 & out
Iowa- NIT
Maryland- NIT
Mich.- 2 & out
Mich. St.- Sweet 16
Minn.- NIT
Neb.- 2 & out
NW- NIT
Ohio St.- NIT
Penn. St.- NIT
Purdue- 2 & out
Rutgers- none
Wisconsin- NIT

Athlon Sports: Post-season predictions for the B1G Ten:

[alphabetically]

Illinois- none
Indiana- 2 & out
Iowa- NIT
Maryland- NIT
Mich.- 2 & out
Mich. St.- Sweet 16
Minn.- NIT
Neb.- 2 & out
NW- NIT
Ohio St.- NIT
Penn. St.- NIT
Purdue- 2 & out
Rutgers- none
Wisconsin- NIT

That would be....bad...for the Big Ten. Although it doesnt seem feasible that the Big ten would send 7 teams to the NIT.

That would be....bad...for the Big Ten. Although it doesnt seem feasible that the Big ten would send 7 teams to the NIT.

does seem a bit disproportional, but stranger things have happened. Look at last year.

Athlon All Conf. Teams:

1st team-

Carsen Edwards, Jr, G, Pur.
Juwan Morgan, Sr., F, Ind.
James Palmer, Sr., G, Neb.
Ethan Happ, Sr., C, Wisc.
Cassius Winston, Jr., G, Mich St.

2nd team-

Tyler Cook, Jr., F, Iowa
Anthony Cowan, Jr., G, Maryland
Romeo Langford, Fr., G, Ind.
Charles Matthews, Sr., G, Mich