Athlon Countdown: #7 Nebraska

This one ticks me off a bit. Nebraska does not deserve to be ranked ahead of Iowa, regardless of where Iowa is ranked. They also had Texas at #8...and I think that is overrated too

texas doesn't bother me so much because, well, its texas. nebraska at 7 is kind of odd. maybe its because they're the only team in the big 12 that actually plays defense?

reading the breakdown, their defense will be down...so all i see is a RB that ran for 100 yards 4 times, 4 OL returning, and a good kicker. yeah i see them winning 8 maybe 9 games

The Big 12 blows, especially the North. Nebraska has 3 cupcakes and a potential for disaster out of conference when they go face Jake Locker and the Huskies in Washington. They get Texas, Missouri, Kansas, and the Jokealos at home which isn't bad but I think an underratedly tough road schedule. Oklahoma St has to rebuild but still have some talent, Texas A&M can win the south if they hold teams under 40, Iowa St is going to be tough at home, KState is ehhhhh a 6-6 kind of team. Nebraska has a decent RB, still very good defense let by Crick and great corners. Nebraska was 1 second away from the BCS last year but will have a tougher time this year to match that.

Preseason polls are ridiculous--this is just another example.

From the article: "Even if the defense isn’t overpowering, Nebraska should still be fine"

Huh?

it has to come back to the offensive line, right? that's the only logical reasoning i can find to make this acceptable

They played 2, that's right 2, good games last year, and one of them they still lost.
I'll be the first to admit, they looked tough in those 2 games, but they also lost to ISU earlier in the year.
Their schedule is a complete cupcake... they play what, 1, maybe 2 teams in the preseason top 25? I'm so tired of them talking up the "mighty Big 12".
Also- after the bowl game, Bo Pelini announced that "Nebraska is back." I think he is a very good coach, just a little rough around the edges, and we'll see his worth this year... they could go 11-1, and they could go 7-5.
Overall, I agree #7 is too high. Makes me wonder in Shatel is running the show at Athlon. I'd place them in the 12-15 range. My guess is their reasoning behind the high ranking is the joke of a schedule.

i don't think the name "nebraska" has anything to do with it...i think, that looking at any team that played like them last year and is bringing back what they are, we would still have issues with the ranking

If a preseason poll makes you mad you need to take a step back and realize that it doesnt matter at all. Its May

All you have to do is wait this one out, they'll lose around 3 games. Then all the sudden Pellini doesn't know how to coach,and the players aren't good enough to wear Neb red. The freakouts will start and then its back to firing the coach. Its a vicious cycle one their doomed to repeat.

Probably has to do with the fact that other than say, Alabama... there's quite a bit more parity between all the potential top 10 and even top 25 teams. Don't think Nebraska is any better than Iowa, but at this point it's throwing darts at the wall.

I'm a little surprised at this. I can see Nebraska in the second ten but not in the first ten.

It's a preseason prediction and things will likely change significantly over the course of the season.

As we all know, it's where you are ranked at the end of the season that counts. That said, the preseason rankings are more for entertainment and discussion than a true measuring stick of strength.

I'm a little surprised at this. I can see Nebraska in the second ten but not in the first ten.

It's a preseason prediction and things will likely change significantly over the course of the season.

As we all know, it's where you are ranked at the end of the season that counts. That said, the preseason rankings are more for entertainment and discussion than a true measuring stick of strength.

But preseason rankings DO have an impact. Where you start the race does impact where you finish. If there are 3 undefeated teams at the end of the year, and they started out #3, #17, and unranked, which team do you suppose gets the short straw? Even if they look much better than one or both of the other teams?

Latest posts