Athletic Dptmt Donations Re: Tailgating Rules

thejumper5

With all the uproar about the new tailgating rules, I have heard a lot of people suggesting that the athletic department has made a mistake by alienating donors. My question is, "Is there any evidence that would suggest that a 'silent majority' or perhaps wealthy donors is the group behind the tailgating crackdown?" It makes sense to me that a select few people that give significant amounts to the university may have enough sway to get rules changed that would make them more comfortable on game day. A little bit of a conspiracy theory, and maybe this has been discussed before.
Thoughts?

I doubt this is the case - movers and shakers tend to enjoy an occasional drink or two.

Considering the UI said yesterday that they got on the order of 50 emails from disgruntled patrons regarding saturdays football game, I would highly doubt that a significant number of donors are that upset. 50 emails and 116 arrests out of > 70,000 people; we are truly making a mountain out of a molehill.

Considering the UI said yesterday that they got on the order of 50 emails from disgruntled patrons regarding saturdays football game, I would highly doubt that a significant number of donors are that upset. 50 emails and 116 arrests out of > 70,000 people; we are truly making a mountain out of a molehill.

Thats assuming everyone that was upset responded with an e-mail.

With all the uproar about the new tailgating rules, I have heard a lot of people suggesting that the athletic department has made a mistake by alienating donors. My question is, "Is there any evidence that would suggest that a 'silent majority' or perhaps wealthy donors is the group behind the tailgating crackdown?" It makes sense to me that a select few people that give significant amounts to the university may have enough sway to get rules changed that would make them more comfortable on game day. A little bit of a conspiracy theory, and maybe this has been discussed before.
Thoughts?

I don't think people realize how right the OP is on this topic. There was a significant push from a certain group to make this happen, or at least to help it down the road.

I don't think people realize how right the OP is on this topic. There was a significant push from a certain group to make this happen, or at least to help it down the road.

I had heard it was from a more national group, not typical Iowa donors. More along the lines of MADD or a group like that.

I heard on the radio they are changing some of the tailgating rules now. You can stay 3 hours later, you can carry on like normal, the only things they are going to enforce is
1. No open containrs on melrose or any public street
2. No Drinking and driving, checkpoints still up
3. No LOUD music, they said its okay to play music, just not LOUD music?

So pretty much they are making a big deal over nothing, and now by stating these new rules, more people are gonna stretch the limit and push the cops over the edge! I have a feeling that the cops are gonna try to break up a party and a damn riot will break out before too long!

I doubt this is the case - movers and shakers tend to enjoy an occasional drink or two.

I agree, they tend to have the most lavish of tailgates. I would even say that the University's change in stance from week 1 to week 2 was due to these same donors voicing their displeasure with the new, more restrictive rules after last weekend. I think these donors that donate to park behind the pressbox, next to the bubble, CHA, expect that they will be undisturbed due to the fact they donated more $$. Right or wrong, thats the way it is.

I heard on the radio they are changing some of the tailgating rules now. You can stay 3 hours later, you can carry on like normal, the only things they are going to enforce is
1. No open containrs on melrose or any public street
2. No Drinking and driving, checkpoints still up
3. No LOUD music, they said its okay to play music, just not LOUD music?

So pretty much they are making a big deal over nothing, and now by stating these new rules, more people are gonna stretch the limit and push the cops over the edge! I have a feeling that the cops are gonna try to break up a party and a damn riot will break out before too long!

So in other words, they didn't change anything. This is just a play on words to appease the masses.

Well yeah pretty much, but hey at least they are letting us stay an extra 3 hours!!

Did anyone hear about a group of people last week who were tailgating and were obviously drunk. After the game they kept drinking, when it was time to leave the cops told them to leave and the drunks said, "we can't drive we have been drinking." What ever happened to that situation? I heard it on 600WMT the other day they were discussing it, i just never heard the tail end of it.

Well yeah pretty much, but hey at least they are letting us stay an extra 3 hours!!

Did anyone hear about a group of people last week who were tailgating and were obviously drunk. After the game they kept drinking, when it was time to leave the cops told them to leave and the drunks said, "we can't drive we have been drinking." What ever happened to that situation? I heard it on 600WMT the other day they were discussing it, i just never heard the tail end of it.

Only for 11:00 games. How many of those do we have scheduled for the rest of the year? Zero. Ball State will likely be 11:00, but the rest...unlikely.

Thats assuming everyone that was upset responded with an e-mail.

And that perhaps a significant portion of the 50 weren't fairly big donors. I'm not saying that's the case, but if I got 20+ e-mails from pretty big donor complaining about the song I'm singing, I'd probably change my tune a little, too.

And that perhaps a significant portion of the 50 weren't fairly big donors. I'm not saying that's the case, but if I got 20+ e-mails from pretty big donor complaining about the song I'm singing, I'd probably change my tune a little, too.

Knowing personally pretty big donors (in excess of $1million/yr), when they have issues with the UI they aren't so petty that they send emails, they make phone calls.

Knowing personally pretty big donors (in excess of $1million/yr), when they have issues with the UI they aren't so petty that they send emails, they make phone calls.

Maybe I misused the term "pretty big donors". But even if quite a few $500k donors come complaining, that's hardly something to sneeze at if you're in Barta's shoes.

Exactly. And I dont think it would take too many of those types of phone calls to make a difference.

Latest posts