Around the Top 25 from Yesterday

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
-The Big East had a bad weekend...Utah beat Pitt, Cincy lost to Fresno and UConn lost to Michigan.

-Florida and Texas looked just as overrated on the field as I thought they were all summer. 13 muffed snaps in the Florida game? 15 yards of offense at halftime vs Miami of Ohio? Texas beats Rice by just 17? 21 of Florida's 56 plays gained one yard or less, as Stewart Mandel pointed out

-Oklahoma is fortunate to get a win vs WAC Utah State...won by a TD and needed an INT late to stop Utah State's potential game tying drive.

-Lack of Defense: Utah State racked up 421 yards to Oklahoma's 422 and they were -2 in turnovers. Western Kentucky gets 299 v Nebraska..perhaps they pulled their starters, or perhaps life without Suh won't be as a dandy as they had hoped.

-Oregon had to impress the pollsters to let them know life without Masoli would be OK. They were up 59-0 at halftime against New Mexico. They rang up 720 yards of offense to just 101 for Mike Locksley's club...I hope Locksley is renting.

-Georgia Tech had 384 total yards in their blowout win against S. Carolina State. All but 12 were on the ground and Josh Nesbitt was 1 of 6 throwing the ball.

-LSU allowed much maligned QB TJ Yates of UNC to throw for over 400 yards, and the Tarheels nearly beat LSU in Atlanta. UNC dropped a game winning TD pass with :02 left. I think there is reason to be uneasy on the bayou, as UNC was a shell of what it could have been on defense due to their NCAA issues and 15 players were left home.

-Washington State is pathetic. They lose 65-17 to Oklahoma State?

-Big 23-17 win for BYU over Washington...not a great debut for the Huskies this year, and their fans had hopes of big things.

-Kansas loses 6-3 at home to N. Dakota State...ouch. Turner Gill's first game could be a tone setter, not the one you want. As Mike Hlas tweeted last night, things get much tougher this week for NDSU, as they play at UNI.

-It was great to see Baylor's Robert Griffin back in action, one of the most fun players to watch...threw for more than 200, ran for close to 60.

-Houston Nutt is not a popular coach anywhere other than where he is hanging his shingle. So Ole Miss' double OT loss to Jacksonville State got a few chuckles around the nation. All of the Jeremiah Masoli drama, only to lose to an FCS team at home?

Last edited:
I seem to remember a bunch of people on here ripping on me b/c I said cincy was going to suck without coach Kelly. I was called an idiot and was also told I know nothing...just gotta say it feels pretty good to be right!!

I think this more than confirms that at this point in the season rankings are meaningless and based on nothing more than names and tradition.

Atleast we may have finally heard the end of how Ole Miss is "dark horse" in the SEC and under-rated nationally. Wonder how all the SEC homers are going to handle this, because we all know all 12 SEC teams are far and away better than any of the other conferences.

Latest posts