Arizona dedicates statue of Lute Olson

tweeterhawk

For many of us around to watch Hawkeye hoops at the time Lute Olson was THE Iowa coach. In nine seasons compiled a record of 167-91 with five trips to the NCAA, making it to the Final Four once and the Sweet 16. Well-liked around the state, managed to recruit good players to Iowa City, teams always competitive. Good coach.

Much of the fan base was sorry to see him leave for Arizona. But he was happy in Tucson and managed to get even better players, mostly from the Los Angeles area and the West Coast. Made the NCAA Tournament every year except his first in 24 seasons in Tucson, winning the title in 1997.

Congratulations Lute!

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawil...n_6ecc5232-3db4-11e8-b538-b7df6f930cec.html#1

For many of us around to watch Hawkeye hoops at the time Lute Olson was THE Iowa coach. In nine seasons compiled a record of 167-91 with five trips to the NCAA, making it to the Final Four once and the Sweet 16. Well-liked around the state, managed to recruit good players to Iowa City, teams always competitive. Good coach.

Much of the fan base was sorry to see him leave for Arizona. But he was happy in Tucson and managed to get even better players, mostly from the Los Angeles area and the West Coast. Made the NCAA Tournament every year except his first in 24 seasons in Tucson, winning the title in 1997.

Congratulations Lute!

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawil...n_6ecc5232-3db4-11e8-b538-b7df6f930cec.html#1

Well deserved. Hope they allow a small space for an engraving on his years at Iowa but I guess it's all about Arizona.

LUUUUUUUTTTEEEE. That never got old. Lord knows we wished he had stayed...especially the way he recruited. With a new arena and facilities...he could have built something to last. Ran into him in Oakland at a hotel near the airport about 10 years ago. What a class act. He was waiting for a ride and he chatted with me for 3-4 minutes. I told him that Ronnie Lester going down against Louisville is still one of the saddest days in Iowa sports. We beat those guys, especially the way Lester started that game (4-4 and 2-2 at the line). That team played as well together as any Iowa team. So close to a National Championship.

I would like to have seen Brylcreem and Bob Bowlsby schedule a home and home with Arizona about fifteen years ago. Alford didn't shy away from tough NonCon's and it would have given Iowa fans one last chance to pay tribute to Lute. Now hardly anyone does home and home anymore because you have all these made for TV November and early December tournaments.

I was happy that Lute got his National Championship. Wish it would have been with Iowa. We all know why it wasn't. The name "Roger Burkman" should have been one of George Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words".